Phone on cruise ship?

2 hours ago, latebuyer said:

I’m on brilliance of the seas and i’m wondering if they’d have phones to use? I know you have to pay. Its alaska. I’m canadian so all i’ll have is data on the phone.

I think you need to specify your question a bit.  What exactly are you trying to do?  

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

I wanted to phone home to canada but it looks like its too expensive. I've looked into textnow and i'll try that .

If you get the ships internet you should be able to call home via varying apps or even through wifi calling depending on your carrier and plan.  

3 hours ago, topnole said:

If you get the ships internet you should be able to call home via varying apps or even through wifi calling depending on your carrier and plan.  

wifi calling using ship internet is very spotty, sometimes it works and sometimes it dont

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Canadian as well and most carriers have a roam like home plan you can add.  About $15 a dsy.

Verizon Us has a $5/day plan for calling from Canada,  and maybe Mexico,  and $10/day most elsewhere.

5 hours ago, latebuyer said:

I wanted to phone home to canada but it looks like its too expensive. I've looked into textnow and i'll try that .

Do you have to "call"? Could what you need to do be done by e-mail? I don't know if you have status to get free internet minutes with Royal.

10 hours ago, Wanna Be Retired said:

What app do you use for Wi-Fi calling?

You don’t even have to use an app depending.  With Verizon you can enable wifi calling and just call like normal (cellular turned off) and it uses wifi.  Skype is quite easy to use for wifi calling.  

22 hours ago, latebuyer said:

I’m on brilliance of the seas and i’m wondering if they’d have phones to use? I know you have to pay. Its alaska. I’m canadian so all i’ll have is data on the phone.

We use skype via Wi Fi from our iPads if we have to make an outbound phone call. Our phones are turned off and stored in the safe for the entire cruise.

8 hours ago, topnole said:

You don’t even have to use an app depending.  With Verizon you can enable wifi calling and just call like normal (cellular turned off) and it uses wifi.  Skype is quite easy to use for wifi calling.  

Thank you!  I never knew about this!  I gave it a whirl and I was able to call my husband from another room in the house!  He thought I was a nut but he’s been thinking that for years!  Even after calling Verizon I had no clue!  You are so awesome!  Thank you!  Thank you!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/26/2023 at 11:31 AM, firefly333 said:

The phone in your cabin for usa is 1.99 per minute. Idk about calling Canada. 

It is no longer $1.99 a minute!! 

How can I communicate on a cruise with friends at home or ashore ...

A. You can make ship-to-shore calls from your stateroom, 24 hours a day. The cost is $7.95 USD per minute and will be automatically charged to your SeaPass account. Your friends and family can contact the ship by calling (888) 724-7447. Or from outside the U.S. they can call (321) 953-9003.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wanna Be Retired said:

Thank you!  I never knew about this!  I gave it a whirl and I was able to call my husband from another room in the house!  He thought I was a nut but he’s been thinking that for years!  Even after calling Verizon I had no clue!  You are so awesome!  Thank you!  Thank you!

Glad to help.  We used this with our newborns.  Cell signal is much stronger than wifi.  Didn’t want cell anywhere near our babies.  Always on wifi when in the house.  Cellular back on when out of the house.