Free speciality dinner

gailellen12

50 minutes ago, gailellen12 said:

Hi everyone. As part of my booking package I am entitled to a free speciality dinner.  I was wondering if there is a price limit to this offer!  Thanks in advance

48 minutes ago, shof515 said:

no price limit. appetizer, entree, sides and dessert is included

In general there is no price limit.  You may select a salad or appetizer, a main course, and a dessert.  In the past you have been able to choose multiple appetizers, but the current rules seem to prohibit that.  YMMV.  In some of the restaurants, though, certain menu items do incur an additional charge.  The amount is clearly specified on the menu and will be added to your on board account, together with a 20% gratuity on the surcharge.

5 minutes ago, Nodakboiler said:

Is there a $ limit in LaCucina since it is a la carte for those with a dining package? 

2 hours ago, gailellen12 said:

Hi everyone. As part of my booking package I am entitled to a free speciality dinner.  I was wondering if there is a price limit to this offer!  Thanks in advance

There is no $$$ limit. With the Free at Sea Dinner, you can order an appetizer, and a salad/soup, an entree, two sides, and a dessert. Four course meal. There are a limited number of dishes that have an upcharge (clearly shown in menus). 

An example from last week at Ocean Blue. 

IMG_5074.thumb.jpeg.d6fc473b752faa8c62d6f3064f4af75d.jpeg

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

There is no $$$ limit. With the Free at Sea Dinner, you can order an appetizer, and a salad/soup, an entree, two sides, and a dessert. Four course meal. There are a limited number of dishes that have an upcharge (clearly shown in menus). 

An example from last week at Ocean Blue. 

IMG_5074.thumb.jpeg.d6fc473b752faa8c62d6f3064f4af75d.jpeg

How was the Cioppino this cruise?  

9 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Personally, it was not my favorite. 
IMG_5062.thumb.jpeg.10fbba8eb7f74906cc26f7783507197c.jpeg

Thanks, I had it on the Breakaway last fall and it was delicious. Read mixed reviews.  We’re sailing Bliss in the Fall yo Mexican Riveria so we’ll see.  Thanks.  BTW, mine was in a large bowl with mostly mussels snd clams—we were in New England—which may have made a difference. 

2 hours ago, dexddd said:

Other than the big cities, where does a dinner for two come up to $178?

Smoke and mirrors to make the packages look like they have some value.
Remember PAYG would have had a nice gratuity added.

Decide before you go what you may want to eat(subject to availability and opening times) then add on the number of meals needed if you don't have enough(long cruise)  from your latitudes, free at sea, the deal for the 2 added to FAS or FAS+ extras if you take that..

You start at $50pp with the 2meal and soon average down to under $40

With the rationalization that any meal works any where its a lot easier to judge.

I have taken extra just for me, then shared the 4 items at a lunch venue like sushi/Raw

(Our UK prices are a bit different but same rational applies) 

Edited by insidecabin
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dexddd said:

Only on the high seas on Norwegian Cruise Lines. Their menu prices are at levels where most human beings would never pay menu price. I mean I could eat at my local Morton's or Ruth's Chris for that price. But in the Free at Sea environment, people see $178 and say wow, I must have gotten a really good deal. Quite sad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

wow, I must have gotten a really good deal

That’s how I feel after checking out at Macy’s…look how much I saved (not).  Stupid consumer mentality…we have only ourselves to blame.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A couple of questions for the Free at Sea Dining and Reservations.    The reservations only allow a table of 2, 4, 6, 8.   What if you have three people?  Do you reserve a table for 4?   I called and asked representative and she told me all the table for 3 people were taken then so I would have to wait to reserve on board otherwise a table for 3 would be available to book.   I told her this is absurd and I didn't believe her as ALL reservations for ALL restaurants on every night says 2, 4, 6, or 8 and NEVER is there 3, 5, 7.   I told her to reserve the table for four thinking three people can sit there.   I'm now worried as the reservation is specialty and we will be paying at least some A la Carte for my daughter.   Are they going to charge the 4th person?   I can't cancel when I get on board less than 24 hours as the reservation is for the first night and there isn't 24 hour time to cancel this.  

So that leads to my second question.   Ultimately I would be fine my daughter and spouse does the 2 person dining and I can eat on my own but of course the crazy it MUST be passenger 1 and 2 only as listed.   Has anyone just changed the order of passengers on booking for this crazy rule?    I know we can buy her a "two night" specialty dining which is my last option and why we booked a table for 4.   

The phone reservation lady was so horrible when I called to get answers and I would figure I would get the truth out of past cruisers here.    She told me on the phone that "ala carte" pricing wasn't even available in specialty restaurants and you had to buy a package.   Do we really have to wait until getting on board to get the truth?      Any advice or past experiences are appreciated. 

12 minutes ago, DougandMatt said:

A couple of questions for the Free at Sea Dining and Reservations.    The reservations only allow a table of 2, 4, 6, 8.   What if you have three people?  Do you reserve a table for 4?   I called and asked representative and she told me all the table for 3 people were taken then so I would have to wait to reserve on board otherwise a table for 3 would be available to book.   I told her this is absurd and I didn't believe her as ALL reservations for ALL restaurants on every night says 2, 4, 6, or 8 and NEVER is there 3, 5, 7.   I told her to reserve the table for four thinking three people can sit there.   I'm now worried as the reservation is specialty and we will be paying at least some A la Carte for my daughter.   Are they going to charge the 4th person?   I can't cancel when I get on board less than 24 hours as the reservation is for the first night and there isn't 24 hour time to cancel this.  

So that leads to my second question.   Ultimately I would be fine my daughter and spouse does the 2 person dining and I can eat on my own but of course the crazy it MUST be passenger 1 and 2 only as listed.   Has anyone just changed the order of passengers on booking for this crazy rule?    I know we can buy her a "two night" specialty dining which is my last option and why we booked a table for 4.   

The phone reservation lady was so horrible when I called to get answers and I would figure I would get the truth out of past cruisers here.    She told me on the phone that "ala carte" pricing wasn't even available in specialty restaurants and you had to buy a package.   Do we really have to wait until getting on board to get the truth?      Any advice or past experiences are appreciated. 

We are a family of 3 and they told us to just book it for 4 people and that's what we did and had no issues 

On 5/28/2023 at 9:22 AM, dexddd said:

At a nice restaurant ordering multiple apps, salads, entrees, sides and deserts, the bill would easily push into the $200 range for 2.  On a date night with my wife, we don’t go crazy and still are around $140-$150 before drinks.  

Edited by Liljo22
  • Haha 1

This was the last date night restaurant my wife and I went to.  It’s a nice steakhouse but I would put it a step below what you call a top level steakhouse. I ran an online order to see what the price would be.  I didn’t go crazy with higher end items.  Picked 2 each of apps, salads, entrees, sides and deserts.  Before tax it came to $201.  That doesn’t include drinks.  

I also ran the same order with Outback and it came to $103.

IMG_0039.png

IMG_0038.png

Edited by Liljo22
  • Haha 1

I don't generally eat at expensive restaurants, but I from what I know $178 for two people at a higher-end steak house is not unusual.  even more so if you like to order alcohol.  My buddy got a $100 tomahawk steak for his birthday.  worth it?  probably not to me, but it was a pretty good looking piece of meat.

Also, eating at speciality dining seems like it doesn't just have the menu price-- you also have lost the opportunity to eat your "free" food.  but savings be damned, i'm still stuffing myself with AYCA crab in Alaska.

I only booked my one free-at-sea one meal, it's my first cruise and i suspect the "free" dining is plenty of variety for 7 days!  If Cagney's steakhouse is as good as what i've read, it should be a good time

Here in the UK we have a very local steak place not a chain.

They recently downsized and closed their big place over stretched during/after covid.

We grill at home so don't use.

Our Cagnies selection would be around £140 with 2 fillet, 3 sides, starters and desert, before the £15 tip if they perform.

That buys the 2 meal upgrade to the free at sea for both of us.

A UK  chain UK Miller and Carter is cheaper.

We have a go to no where near us that knocks out a very decent 28oz porterhouse for £20 with starter desert and sides.

4 hours ago, DougandMatt said:

The reservations only allow a table of 2, 4, 6, 8.   What if you have three people?  Do you reserve a table for 4?   I called and asked representative and she told me all the table for 3 people were taken then so I would have to wait to reserve on board otherwise a table for 3 would be available to book.

The person you spoke to was wrong or had no critical thinking skills.  There are no tables that seat odd numbers of people.  Book a table for 4, you're getting that size table anyway.  Don't fret about adjusting the reservation once on board.

My sources tell me that:

a) Only 0.35% of NCL cruisers have ever paid menu prices for ala carte' restaurants

b) Only 0.15% of NCL cruisers have ever seen that receipt and thought "wow, did I get a deal with FAS!"

The vast majority of those very small populations were drunk and/or totally clueless.  I doubt that any of the intelligent, fine folks here on Cruise Critic have ever fallen into either of those groups. 😎

• Haha 1