Passenger Information

exlondoner

One thing that has vastly deteriorated in the last twenty years is the passenger information channel. This used to be interesting and helpful. It gave air temps, sea temps, weather info for the next port, wave height, wind speed over deck, how far we had travelled, how far to next port, how far to Soton. It had some helpful maps of varying scales. Now, none of these. Why? 

24 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

One thing that has vastly deteriorated in the last twenty years is the passenger information channel. This used to be interesting and helpful. It gave air temps, sea temps, weather info for the next port, wave height, wind speed over deck, how far we had travelled, how far to next port, how far to Soton. It had some helpful maps of varying scales. Now, none of these. Why? 

Could be cost saving…..  

Increasing fares, then cutting one of the overall experiences, hoping nobody will notice.
When noted (as one has) the response will be a shoulder shrug, with no credible explanation.

For example, it’s the same with current dining offerings (shrug) and the ongoing saga of FCDs (shrug).

8 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Some of that information was available on Queen Victoria last time we sailed, is there nothing on the Navigation channel now ?

There are two maps, one of the world, the other of the British Isles, and one page showing wind speed and direction, air pressure, ships speed and  course, lat and long, and time. Oh, and a page showing a nice picture of the ship, in case you’ve forgotten which one you are on.

• Like 3

Yes I notice that the Navigation channel seemed to only have a small amount of information now, such as time, temperature and location. 

Going back in time the crew used to have a big board near the purser's desk or thereabouts, with print-outs of the weather forecast and maps. This was replaced by the Navigation channel - which in the original form had plenty of extra information and was updated a lot more than the old board. And now that's been lost, though I guess with various Apps one can still piece much of it together.

1 minute ago, Pushpit said:

Yes I notice that the Navigation channel seemed to only have a small amount of information now, such as time, temperature and location. 

Going back in time the crew used to have a big board near the purser's desk or thereabouts, with print-outs of the weather forecast and maps. This was replaced by the Navigation channel - which in the original form had plenty of extra information and was updated a lot more than the old board. And now that's been lost, though I guess with various Apps one can still piece much of it together.

Extraordinarily it doesn’t even give the temp. Most of the info must be available on the bridge, so should be easily transmissible to passengers.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Could be cost saving…..  

Increasing fares, then cutting one of the overall experiences, hoping nobody will notice.
When noted (as one has) the response will be a shoulder shrug, with no credible explanation.

For example, it’s the same with current dining offerings (shrug) and the ongoing saga of FCDs (shrug).

Don’t follow this, I’m afraid.

8 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

There are two maps, one of the world, the other of the British Isles, and one page showing wind speed and direction, air pressure, ships speed and  course, lat and long, and time. Oh, and a page showing a nice picture of the ship, in case you’ve forgotten which one you are on.

Yes, that's pretty much what I remember. 

3 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Yes, that's pretty much what I remember. 

It was a Microsoft programme very informative but prone to seizing up. On one voyage it stopped in Hamburg when we berthed at Altona on QE. Probably programmed 4 the older terminal further up. It restarted several days later when we left Tallin.

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

If u are on QV do u know who the WC reps are?

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Andressa Williams is one of them and I think the other is Andrea ? but I’m not sure on her surname.

Thanks we have some business 2 do next week was hoping Dragana would still be about but alas no more.

7 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Majority of items mentioned were on Info channel this last fortnight on QM2 on roundtrip TA.

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Incidentally our call at Dun Laoghaire was aborted because sea conditions were too bad for tendering, and we are speeding towards Liverpool where we shall spend the night.

It looks like a lovely evening in Liverpool. 

I have noticed this change or downgrading over the past few years on HAL and Celebrity as well, so possibly it reflects what the satellite providers are offering currently rather than what the cruise line wishes to provide on their Navigation channels?

On 6/2/2023 at 7:47 PM, foodsvcmgr said:

I have noticed this change or downgrading over the past few years on HAL and Celebrity as well, so possibly it reflects what the satellite providers are offering currently rather than what the cruise line wishes to provide on their Navigation channels?

Good point.  
But add, currently Lines could possibly have no wish to pay additional dollars for any software upgrades to standard “off the shelf” packages, thereby not giving pax what was previously seen on screens.

4 hours ago, NE John said:

The map and weather geek part of me is very happy!

Hey John,

Could you share what Captain you will have on the crossing of the TA heading to us. We promise Good Weather for You!........lol....