NCL Dawn poor performance by room steward so far

SpainAlien

On 6/4/2023 at 8:31 AM, shof515 said:

all cruise lines is cutting back on room stewards and assigning them double the work. i notice it on all my previous on all major cruise lines

Really?  On our Hawaiian Princess cruise we had twice a day service for the entire 16 day cruise.

2 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

If you are implying that this is the way it has always been ... I disagree completely !

They are extremely good at learning and knowing peoples routines early in the cruise . I.E. (early/late riser , knowing guests dinner selection etc. ) There routines are far from random . 

This may be something that becomes a lot harder now with twice as many cabins , but over the years their job has not been performed as well as they do it without efficiency in their routines .

Cheers

Talk about efficiency.....can't be more inefficient than zig zagging from one cabin in one area and going to another cabin in another area based on the schedules the passengers have.

IF you've observed them for any length of time, you'll notice that they tend to start at one cabin and work in a linear fashion through each subsequent cabin.  They DO NOT jump from a cabin in one part of the hallway to another cabin in another part of the hallway further away.  Whenever they encounter someone in their cabin as they come to clean it, they'll come back after their "regular" routine is done, which is normally much later on. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I don't think anyone will hold it against another for critiquing any of the cruise lines here at CC.  

It's the constant whining about topics that affect few or even one person.  It's the whining about policies that affect a small minority of cruisers.  It's the whining about minor inconveniences.  Etc

This incessant whining, many times about minutia, becomes exhausting.

It seems some folks aren't satisfied unless they make themselves unhappy.

I dunno?  Maybe I spend too much time on these boards and have become hyper sensitive.  

I have never had a bad cruise.  Some, I like better than others.  And some, although I had a good time, I learned I would probably not repeat.  But, none of them would qualify as a bad cruise.

Even the one where we were hit by a huge gust of wind.  I was on this ship. 

It actually ended up being a really fun cruise that most passengers regaled each other with what they were doing at the time.  Some wanted to make it an "issue".  A few had some bruises.  I actually saw one couple on board throwing belongings around their cabin and out the cabin door into the hallway and filming the results, I'm guessing to get YouTube views or to get some sort of compensation from NCL.  

If you go into a cruise looking for bad, you'll find bad.  If you go into a cruise looking for good, you'll find good....everywhere.

Some people just want to complain, I suppose.

With all your grumbling about people turning minor issues into big , It seems to me it is you doing so.

The OP simply made , and shared an observation about what was happening ( in real time ).

And again in real time has multiple times since stated that they are having a great time on their cruise !!

Not making themselves unhappy as you are making up

Cheers

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Talk about efficiency.....can't be more inefficient than zig zagging from one cabin in one area and going to another cabin in another area based on the schedules the passengers have.

IF you've observed them for any length of time, you'll notice that they tend to start at one cabin and work in a linear fashion through each subsequent cabin.  They DO NOT jump from a cabin in one part of the hallway to another cabin in another part of the hallway further away.  Whenever they encounter someone in their cabin as they come to clean it, they'll come back after their "regular" routine is done, which is normally much later on. 

Exactly this. I often wonder whether people forget to change the little dial outside their doors when they leave. We try to be diligent about changing it to "please make up room" when we leave in the morning, but suppose others leave it on "do not disturb," which puts the poor steward in the position of potentially waking up a passenger who's napping or unwell, but if the people are away, they then return to a dirty cabin and blame the steward. If that sounds far-fetched, consider the warnings they have about not leaving the balcony door open (because people have done that) or not leaving dirty plates outside the room (because some people are inconsiderate).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

Exactly this. I often wonder whether people forget to change the little dial outside their doors when they leave. We try to be diligent about changing it to "please make up room" when we leave in the morning, but suppose others leave it on "do not disturb," which puts the poor steward in the position of potentially waking up a passenger who's napping or unwell, but if the people are away, they then return to a dirty cabin and blame the steward. If that sounds far-fetched, consider the warnings they have about not leaving the balcony door open (because people have done that) or not leaving dirty plates outside the room (because some people are inconsiderate).

I can easily believe that this is the root cause for some of the angst.  DW and I are both OCD.  I don't recall us ever forgetting to change it but at times we'll ask each other half way to breakfast, "did we remember to set the room status?"

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I’ve done that more than once.  Usually, if the steward sees me in the hallway, s/he’ll say something along the lines of “Mr GG….I thought you were in your room and I didn’t want to bother you”.  Sure enough, I had the DO NOT DISTURB sign turned on, even though I wasn’t in the cabin.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I’ve done that more than once.  Usually, if the steward sees me in the hallway, s/he’ll say something along the lines of “Mr GG….I thought you were in your room and I didn’t want to bother you”.  Sure enough, I had the DO NOT DISTURB sign turned on, even though I wasn’t in the cabin.  

I'm sure we've been guilty of that, too, at times. Often I will leave the cabin early and my wife is still sleeping, which leads to confused looks by the steward who sees me leave but the "do not disturb" is still there. 🤦‍♂️😂

EDIT: I am not suggesting the OP did that, BTW. But some of the comments here seem to suggest that the cabin steward is always at fault when pax come back to an unclean cabin, and I'm merely suggesting the possibility that isn't necessarily the case.

Edited by DCGuy64
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I'm sure we've been guilty of that, too, at times. Often I will leave the cabin early and my wife is still sleeping, which leads to confused looks by the steward who sees me leave but the "do not disturb" is still there. 🤦‍♂️😂

EDIT: I am not suggesting the OP did that, BTW. But some of the comments here seem to suggest that the cabin steward is always at fault when pax come back to an unclean cabin, and I'm merely suggesting the possibility that isn't necessarily the case.

I agree, I have seen many cabins on the same section as mine with the DND sign on all week but the steward has still gone in a couple of times. I routinely leave it on Welcome with the result that the poor guy walked in on my coming out of the shower on one occasion lol

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

I agree, I have seen many cabins on the same section as mine with the DND sign on all week but the steward has still gone in a couple of times. I routinely leave it on Welcome with the result that the poor guy walked in on my coming out of the shower on one occasion lol

I'm always afraid that might happen to me, too, he's liable to faint.... 😄

• Haha 2

I cant believe we are all still debating over a bottle of water left in the fridge and the cruise's prior dailies still in the rack.  Perhaps a group of passengers with pitch forks can hunt down the person or persons responsible for such a travesty.  I don't know what I would do if I was in the same situation.  The shock, horror and disbelief of all of it.  I am not sure I could gather the strength to throw them away and continue on the journey.  I would be knocking on the captain's door that night to make him aware. 

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I cant believe we are all still debating over a bottle of water left in the fridge and the cruise's prior dailies still in the rack.  Perhaps a group of passengers with pitch forks can hunt down the person or persons responsible for such a travesty.  I don't know what I would do if I was in the same situation.  The shock, horror and disbelief of all of it.  I am not sure I could gather the strength to throw them away and continue on the journey.  I would be knocking on the captain's door that night to make him aware. 

According to the OP a half bottle of water was left in the fridge, daily print outs from the previous cruise still in the rack, the sink hadn’t been cleaned, and dried foam on the shower head.  Totally unacceptable because all that would lead me to wonder if the bedding had been changed.

• Like 6

Not sure if people own shortcomings are relevant.

A key element of this issue where service could be improved is why when cabins should be ready at 3pm this one was  still not ready at 5pm

Ongoing issues just need

Are you putting make up room?

Are the towels on the floor following towel protocol to have them changed?

Edited by insidecabin

2 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Yet, here we are...LOL!

I learned a long time ago (but I rarely heed the lesson), some folks here at CC are best left to talk into the nether world with no response.

3 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

According to the OP a half bottle of water was left in the fridge, daily print outs from the previous cruise still in the rack, the sink hadn’t been cleaned, and dried foam on the shower head.  Totally unacceptable because all that would lead me to wonder if the bedding had been changed.

I doubt the shower head ever gets cleaned every cruise.  I clean my bathroom and shower constantly and probably clean the shower head once a year.  Those are hard water stains and they dont come off with cleaning. You need a hard water professional formula.  That is yet another odd thing to say was not clean especially with no photos.  Dont get me wrong there are plenty of times someone posts photos of dirty rooms.  Unacceptable.  But even in my wildest imaginations I cant visualize how bad these few complaints can be.   However, the solution is a simple phone call and pronto they would clean the room again or talk to the steward that night.   Hardly the cause of a 165 post thread on CC.  Dirty rooms should never be accepted.  Yet these gripes seem to not rise to that level IMHO.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Often I will leave the cabin early and my wife is still sleeping, which leads to confused looks by the steward who sees me leave but the "do not disturb" is still there. 🤦‍♂️😂

Are they confused because they think you are a solo traveler? 

Do they think all occupants are travelling solo?

Seems a peculiar observation considering occupants can have multiple variations of room sharing with wife/kids or significant others..

I for one am an early riser and will put the 'DND' sign/indicator on the stateroom for the benefit of the remaining family.

On 6/4/2023 at 5:52 AM, BirdTravels said:

Seems like very very very very very minor issues. But it is your right to make it a big deal.. Better taken up with your room steward. 

Gross. The room was still dirty from the last passengers. That does not seem like a minor issue to me. And further posts tell me what to do if it happens to me, so better that it was posted here. 

Again, gross and not minor. 

• Like 4

On 6/5/2023 at 8:41 AM, njkate said:

Yes and there are a few of these cheerleaders in here that are downright rude in the responses they post.

I'd rather deal with the constant complainers than the cheerleading troll who are so superior to us mere mortals, and so unforgiving of any post they disagree with. They are truly ruining this site. 

Edited by SeekingKillerWhales!
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2023 at 2:06 PM, graphicguy said:

Don't see your logic...many people shower 2-3X/day.  I'm thinking it all evens out.

Again, the stewards I spoke to In April on the Bliss seemed to like the new schedule.  They'd rather work one longer shift than two shorter shifts per day.  Once their workday is done, they have more time to do what they want vs just hanging out until their afternoon shift starts.

I don't shower mid-day. I don't nap. And I don't mess up the bedroom. My room probably takes less than 5 minutes for second service. And there are a lot of people like me. So yes, second service should be faster unless you're a rude slob, have a lot of kids, or need to nap and shower during the afternoon so you can play all night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeekingKillerWhales! said:

I don't shower mid-day. I don't nap. And I don't mess up the bedroom. My room probably takes less than 5 minutes for second service. And there are a lot of people like me. So yes, second service should be faster unless you're a rude slob, have a lot of kids, or need to nap and shower during the afternoon so you can play all night. 

But to be fair I also go on cold weather cruises. If I was coming in sandy from a day at the beach I would be showering. But I just don't feel like I need my bathroom cleaned just because I showered in it. 😉 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SeekingKillerWhales! said:

But to be fair I also go on cold weather cruises. If I was coming in sandy from a day at the beach I would be showering. But I just don't feel like I need my bathroom cleaned just because I showered in it. 😉 

yeah, I do take afternoon showers and may even take a nap.  But I never felt the need for the 2nd cleaning.  I often used to leave my DND light on in the evening just so the steward had one less to do

• Like 2

23 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

Incidentally, my room steward is lovely but obviously over worked, he has only managed to get back to my room twice in the last 4 days and then just straightened the top sheets. I have the same sheets and towels 7 days after boarding but I don't care. I'm sure if I asked him he would change them.  I am not complaining I just think other guests should be aware that if this is important to you mustn't be frightened to talk to your room steward.  

I'm sorry, to me, this is unacceptable.  

Edited by disneylover89

13 hours ago, SeekingKillerWhales! said:

I'd rather deal with the constant complainers than the cheerleading troll who are so superior to us mere mortals, and so unforgiving of any post they disagree with. They are truly ruining this site. 

Problem it they also don't report issues  when they are cruising let too many things go.

Leaving the rest of to get the ships upto a decent standard.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SeekingKillerWhales! said:

^^^^^^

On 6/8/2023 at 5:30 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

Of course it is.  I'm sure it is also an expectation shared by NCL and their fine crews.  You speak of trends.  I see no evidence of one.  This is the first report I can remember of a room not being spotless at the beginning of the cruise.  Stuff happens.

Not the first time something like this has been reported.  A few others have mentioned it on other threads, but perhaps not enough yet to call it a trend.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 11:29 AM, SpainAlien said:

he has only managed to get back to my room twice in the last 4 days and then just straightened the top sheets. I have the same sheets and towels 7 days after boarding but I don't care. I'm sure if I asked him he would change them.  I am not complaining I just think other guests should be aware that if this is important to you mustn't be frightened to talk to your room steward.

With this follow up to your original post , and the cheerleaders here still won't acknowledge that this is service that is CLEARLY subpar and shouldn't be considered acceptable , it is clear how tunnel visioned they truly are !

Glad you're enjoying your trip !

Cheers

• Like 10
  • Haha 1