NCL Dawn poor performance by room steward so far

SpainAlien

1 hour ago, luv2kroooz said:

Yuk. Based on your standards, Margaritaville at Sea might be a good choice for your next vacation!!!!

What are you suggesting are "my standards?"  Really.  Please tell me.  I did share the following that may constitute "standards."

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I am there to treasure time with my family, have as much fun as humanly possible, and just thank God for the fact that I'm alive and able to enjoy such an experience. 

Thank God that I have people here on the internet who can help me understand how much those standards suck.  I really need to learn to have less fun and complain more.  Then I'll fit in much better and apparently be a "better person."

• Haha 1

Just now, ChiefMateJRK said:

What are you suggesting are "my standards?"  Really.  Please tell me.  I did share the following that may constitute "standards."

Thank God that I have people here on the internet who can help me understand how much those standards suck.  I really need to learn to have less fun and complain more.  Then I'll fit in much better and apparently be a "better person."

Yuk. That is all.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

I know what you are saying but what it means is that my room was not cleaned after the previous guests. 

Not really.  If the bed was not made, the garbage can full, no clean towels in your cabin then you would be right.  Its common to find drinks in the fridge.  I once found a mouthwash container full of alcohol in a drawer once.  New dailies will replace the old ones.  Its embarkation day so a few blips may occur.  Introduce yourself to your cabin steward and explain what you want done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nodakboiler said:

We have sailed on more than 10 different cruises (with various cruise lines) in the post-Covid world and all of them have experienced similar issues to crew staffing. An article about a year ago, indicated that 40% of the 300K+ people who worked on cruise ships didn’t return to their professions. Crew staff have had many problems getting work visas. All of the cruse lines are trying to give passengers the same experience with fewer staff. Cruise lines are offering the option of room attendants cleaning rooms once a day with no turn down service. Supply chain issues remain an issue. We have gone on cruises that have had shortages of bananas, certain wines and beers, eggs, and straws, just to name a few items. The staff and cruise lines are trying their best. You can still enjoy the experience. Cheers!

Firstly , I for 1 absolutely still enjoy the experience .

And yes Supply chain is definitely still an issue 

But if you don't think that another huge part of the current issues being expressed also has to do with cutbacks that are very intentional to restore the bottom lines of these behemoth companies ... You are living with your head in the sand . I understand completely that they exist to earn money !! Not as some believe that it is to make me happy , but if they continue pushing the limit and decreasing the standard much further many will begin to look elsewhere with their dollars. And I asume when that trend begins , we will see some improvements. But likely not before .

JMHO

Cheers

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If I went to my cabin after boarding and found it dirty with the previous guests trash still in it, I would assume that the sheets were from the previous guest as well.  I mean, how would you know for sure?  I would probably want to passive aggressively ask for a fresh set of sheets and my husband would stop me and he would very politely ask for assistance from a crew member.  He always saves me from my worst inclinations.

In our most recent cruise on the Encore I thought it was weird that a couple of hours after we had been given access to our cabin, our steward came in and changed the sheets on the bed that we had assumed were clean.   

Maybe it makes me picky, but I really don't want to sleep on someone else's sheets.  

• Like 7

6 hours ago, graphicguy said:

These room stewards work their derrière off and you’re still complaining?  SMDH!!!!!!

Let him/her know what was left behind.  I’m betting he’ll take care of it for you!

If you don't complain and keep making excuses for poor service, NCL thinks they can get away with the crap they have been getting away with.  Sorry, I want my room clean and my room service at a reasonable time.  No excuses, hire more employees NCL!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

For those that keep insinuating that the sheets are not clean:  The OP never said the bed was not made.  Has anyone seen the crew in disembarkation day?   The bed is ripped apart and all the sheets are removed and they vacuum.   It appears this cabin missed throwing away old dailies which will be discarded once the next one comes.  If the bed was perfectly made then its not logical for those to say the bed had dirty sheets.  A few mishaps with old items in the cabin will always take place.  Simply introduce yourself to your steward or call house keeping.  These are minor issues and people are expanding what was wrong with it.  If the bed was not made and the trash can was full then I would definitely say the room was not cleaned from the last guests.  The OP only mentioned a water bottle in the fridge and the sink and old dailies in the rack.  Hardly a sign the room was not cleaned since the last guests.  

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

So you have a choice.  Don't cruise or choose how to deal with it.  The choices appear to be a) get all up in a huff, scold whoever will listen and then keep complaining about it after the cruise on the internet of b) mention it to the Steward and then forget about it and enjoy your holiday.

Some might argue that "maybe your 'bar' is set too high?"🤣

I don’t like/want someone else’s hair in my bathroom sink. Yep, bar is super-duper high. 🤣🤣🤣

And choosing to cruise or not is irrelevant to expecting a fully cleaned room when I check in someplace (surely they have checklists to ensure everything is covered when a cabin is turned over??) It’s not like a cruise ship is some roadside no-tell motel. 

• Like 2

For me personally, a room steward falling behind and not being able to clean my room entirely one day during the cruise wouldn't personally be a big problem.  I'd just request new towels if I needed them.  But I would be upset if a room hadn't been cleaned from the previous guest.  

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

For me personally, a room steward falling behind and not being able to clean my room entirely one day during the cruise wouldn't personally be a big problem.  I'd just request new towels if I needed them.  But I would be upset if a room hadn't been cleaned from the previous guest.  

Exactly. But for some reason wanting a clean room on embarkation day is a crime against humanity. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

there was some sort of foam dried on to the shower head.

This would be the most concerning thing, if you ask me (even though nobody asked me).

We were on the Prima in January and we received an email from NCL shortly after arriving home saying there had been evidence of Legionnaire's on the Prima on previous cruises. Since it forms in water lines, showers, etc., this would be something to worry about.

Edited by schmoopie17

3 hours ago, pete_coach said:

Why should a new passenger have to do an inspection and report shortcomings?  They have quality control and all should be done appropriately.

And, to still be in need of service after 5PM?

I am pretty sure you would not accept your hotel room in that condition? The front desk may give you a new room but a ship does not have extra cabins.

Yours is a feeble attempt at excuses for something that should not happen.

Glass houses….stones…everyone is perfect!…yada!

Never said it was acceptable.  I said to let the steward know so they can correct it instead of coming here where no one can help.  

If you don’t let the steward know what your cabin wasn’t cleaned well, and come straight here to complain instead, no empathy from me!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Good luck with that!  You'll likely spend the rest of your cruising days being miserable when human beings fail to match your expectations.

Clearly you’re trolling at this point. 

Peace out, dude, and enjoy washing away other people’s pubes because you’re totes cool with that. ✌️

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, BunnyHutt said:

Clearly you’re trolling at this point. 

Peace out, dude, and enjoy washing away other people’s pubes because you’re totes cool with that. ✌️

Right back at yah!  In many, many cruises I've never experienced the type of crisis that you and others are so nervous about.  Y'all really need to just have a drink, relax and enjoy your cruise. 😎  If beating up on your hard working Steward, or having his/her boss beat up on them over such minutea, is your thing, then your priorities are WAY out of wack. 

totes?  I don't understand that one....

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Glass houses….stones…everyone is perfect!…yada!

Never said it was acceptable.  I said to let the steward know so they can correct it instead of coming here where no one can help.  

If you don’t let the steward know what your cabin wasn’t cleaned well, and come straight here to complain instead, no empathy from me!

No but you did excuse the state of the cabin insinuating the steward works hard. Fact is, the cabin was unacceptable and the OP has every right to inform people,

The OP told someone about the state of the cabin.

I am sure you would have told someone but I am also sure you would have been very upset.

So, your glass houses, stones everyone is perfect comment is uncalled for.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

No but you did excuse the state of the cabin insinuating the steward works hard. Fact is, the cabin was unacceptable and the OP has every right to inform people,

The OP told someone about the state of the cabin.

I am sure you would have told someone but I am also sure you would have been very upset.

So, your glass houses, stones everyone is perfect comment is uncalled for.

You know, I was going to post a long monologue reply.  Won’t!

I will say showing crew respect is the least we can do as guests.  I’ve seen way too many guests just abuse crew, when a simple conversation would have fixed whatever issue they had!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So...hypothetical...if you were seated at a table in the MDR and the table was covered in crumbs, had used napkins and utensils laying on it, half-filled glasses with lip marks, food left on plates, etc., would you use those utensils, wipe your face with those napkins, drink out of those glasses or eat that food because poor NCL is understaffed? Or would you expect someone to correct the deficiencies asap?

*crawling back under my rock to avoid the inevitable bashing to come*...

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 6
  • Haha 7

my all time favorite helper will strike again. the $20 vegas handshake to the cabin steward on the 1st day will do wonders. 

personally, in 25 ncl cruises over the past 12 years, i have never encountered this problem. on the other hand, i have often left bottles of beer and soda in the fridge for the enjoyment of the next passengers, or i have told the steward he is more than welcome to take the bottles for him/herself.

and for my really good buddy, chief mate jrk, while i agree with you in principal most of the time, i dont think it's totally unreasonable to expect a totally  clean cabin when you get in. i can forgive leftover ncl dailies, but a dirty bathroom, UGH!

personally, on the last night  of the cruise, wego through the cabin, and make sure nothing is a mess for the next group.

• Like 5

hey schmoop!. i think you're comparing apples to oranges. i dont think any restaurant on board a cruise ship, or a hotel would sit anyone at a table as you described. most of the time, even before we finish a meal, the waiter comes over with his utensil to wipe away the crumbs. i have never been seated at any table where there are dirty napkins, the staff always comes by and askes "are you finished" and then proceeds to take away the dirty glasses, dishes, silverware and napkins, if you end up with a dirty knife/ fork or spoon, or lipstick/coffee cup stained glass, it was probably a dishwashing problem, and im sure the staff will rectify it immediately 

certainly not on the same level as finding schmootz (jewish word for dirt and dust) in your cabin. also remember ncl has reduced the daily room cleaning from twice to once, making it extremely difficult for the stewards to finish. while that's no justification, it might help to understand the problem. beside, and i'm sure good buddy chief mate will agree, a little extra time at the bar (especially sugarcane) never hurt anyone LOL!

I've had no issues on my 20 previous cruises.  Why not just call for the room steward, get this corrected and post the result? Why the internet first?  Of course, the situation was unsatisfactory to walk into.  Just clarify the issue and allow a fix to happen.

• Thanks 1

After years of business snd leisure travel, staying in budget to luxury hotels, I will say not every stay was perfect.   There are way too many scenarios that could have caused the room steward to miss some routine cabin turnover items.  We are so quick to place blame.  Contact your room steward, request the items be rectified and get on with enjoying your vacation.  If, you find that the service doesn’t meet acceptable standards (yours) then speak with housekeeping lead.  You really need to be worried if the entire hotel or ship is lacking cleanliness…that’s a whole different story.  Would I be happy if I were in your situation…probably not. But I’d move on from it.

Eventually NCL will begin to see via reviews and staff turnover if some of their 2023 cuts are accomplishing their desired outcome.  So, on one hand, thanks for posting on CC your thoughts…and on the other hand, have some grace for the steward…and get to enjoying your cruise.  I’d trade places with you…lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, complawyer said:

and for my really good buddy, chief mate jrk, while i agree with you in principal most of the time, i dont think it's totally unreasonable to expect a totally  clean cabin when you get in.

Absolutely!  I expect a totally clean cabin when I arrive and I have had one 100% of my cruises.  The question becomes, what to do when that rare glitch occurs?  Have your room steward fix it or cry about it on the internet, social media, to people on the ship, to everybody in your family, to the poor guy who is giving you a ride to the airport, etc.

The hyperbole continues to astound.  We've gone from a stray daily, to soap scum, to hair in the sink, to "other people's pubes."  That's the internet for ya!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Absolutely!  I expect a totally clean cabin when I arrive and I have had one 100% of my cruises.  The question becomes, what to do when that rare glitch occurs?  Have your room steward fix it or cry about it on the internet, social media, to people on the ship, to everybody in your family, to the poor guy who is giving you a ride to the airport, etc.

The hyperbole continues to astound.  We've gone from a stray daily, to soap scum, to hair in the sink, to "other people's pubes."  That's the internet for ya!

Right?  I was trying to figure out how this was going to be three pages, but here we are.  Just address the issue and let us know.