NCL Dawn poor performance by room steward so far

SpainAlien

9 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

I boarded yesterday and duly waited for the 3pm announcement that my cabin was ready.  Unfortunately mine wasn't actually ready until 5pm and even then there was 1/2 a bottle of water from the last guest in the fridge, all the daily print outs from the last cruise were in the rack with the room service menu, the sink hadn't been cleaned and there was some sort of foam dried on to the shower head.

Clearly my steward was running late for some reason and ran out of time before actually finishing the job, hopefully when he makes up the room today he will catch up.

Call guest services and they will correct it. They should offer you credit for the time you did not have a clean room for you to use. This happened to me and they blamed it on the previous steward leaving after finishing their contract. The new steward was overwhelmed. They sent the housekeeping deck manager to follow-up. Also as other have said, NCL has increased the number of rooms a steward must clean and reduced the number of times a day to one turn down to boost their profits. The stewards are working their butts off. That said, hold NCL accountable and don't disembark without having your concerns resolved. Trying to resolve after the fact and you'll likely get nothing for your inconvenience by reporting it after the cruise.

Edited by kylenyc
  • Like 2

On one of our three cruises so far on NCL this year, we had cabin "concerns" when we embarked on day one.  Everything was resolved gracefully and efficiently on that day.  

(1)  It's not helpful to complain about it online, either during or after your cruise. Give NCL the chance to fix it.

(2) No need to ever go to Guest Services.  If you don't see your cabin steward in the hallway, just use the cabin phone.  The steward's "handy phone" number is always on.  

(3)  Because the stewards are also responsible for luggage delivery on embarkation day, it may be the asst deck supervisor who first comes to your cabin that day.

NCL does everything possible to make guests happy, ALWAYS.  

There may be only one cabin service a day, but the stewards now have 24 "touches" of cabins per day, rather than the previous 30.  

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Crew work hard.  I’m likely to cut them some slack if they overlooked something in the cabin.

Nah.  Give them a severe talkin' to.  I worked for 65 years and I never missed a single thing.  I expect no less from anybody else performing any kind of job there is.

(jk of course, and since we've spent time in person you've likely surmised that I'm actually a bit of a slacker and it likely manifested itself throughout my "career." 🤣🐀  Us less than perfect people find it easier to be "forgiving" of other hard working people.)

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Goldenknight said:

On one of our three cruises so far on NCL this year, we had cabin "concerns" when we embarked on day one.  Everything was resolved gracefully and efficiently on that day.  

(1)  It's not helpful to complain about it online, either during or after your cruise. Give NCL the chance to fix it.

(2) No need to ever go to Guest Services.  If you don't see your cabin steward in the hallway, just use the cabin phone.  The steward's "handy phone" number is always on.  

(3)  Because the stewards are also responsible for luggage delivery on embarkation day, it may be the asst deck supervisor who first comes to your cabin that day.

There may be only one cabin service a day, but the stewards now have 24 "touches" of cabins per day, rather than the previous 30.  

Yet you wrote about your concerns extensively in your review…

Here are your words:

IMG_4062.thumb.png.1743fd6d2562fd1efc0337fcf33f0ba8.png

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

These room stewards work their derrière off and you’re still complaining?  SMDH!!!!!!

Let him/her know what was left behind.  I’m betting he’ll take care of it for you!

Why should a new passenger have to do an inspection and report shortcomings?  They have quality control and all should be done appropriately.

And, to still be in need of service after 5PM?

I am pretty sure you would not accept your hotel room in that condition? The front desk may give you a new room but a ship does not have extra cabins.

Yours is a feeble attempt at excuses for something that should not happen.

Edited by pete_coach
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, BunnyHutt said:

I do not disagree with you that complaining on here doesn’t accomplish anything onboard.  I was merely reacting to the fact that you implied that the OP shouldn’t be complaining (at all) that their cabin was not properly turned over. And a dirty sink and shower from a previous occupant are more than just “overlooking something,” it’s just plain gross. 

It's beyond gross.  And it's now day two, and still not cleaned.  I'm not a neat freak, but this is just plain nasty, not a simple oversight.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Yep but after a decent education you don't have to put up with that as a grown up.

You missed the point entirely.  If you can "survive" years of that during college, then you shouldn't be "grossed out" by a spot of dirt in a sink or shower on a cruise ship.  Annoyed?  Sure, if that's how you want to spend your holiday.  Most of us don't.  Some of us (apparently a small number) would either let it go or politely ask our hard-working Steward to take care of it when they had a chance.  The rest?  "Waaah, Waaah, NCL and their staff are abusing me.  I want a refund.  I want apologies!  I want sympathy on the internet!!!"  (yeah, that last one is just plain silly🤣).

• Haha 3

The more people that accept poor quality cleaning of cabins both on embarkation day and throughout the cruise, the greater chances NCL will continue to think what they are doing is “fine” and “acceptable.” The more people that speak out to guest services and the housekeeping managers, the greater chance NCL becomes aware of customer dissatisfaction and (hopefully) makes changes.

Cabins USED to be thoroughly cleaned between guests.  Now they are tidied and  have linens and towels replaced but are not being wiped down thoroughly or sanitized.  I always bring Lysol wipes and clean the cabin (including all handles, light switches, phones and the tv remote)   Should I have to do this? No.

Vacuuming is done the day before embarkation which is why I have found toenail clippings in several cabins (ew ew ew.) This is also why I found a camera and tripod behind a balcony curtain (yes I turned it in and did not post about it on social media hoping to contact the owner😲.) Cabin stewards are no longer checking fridges and drawers.  This is why I found a diaper in a cabin drawer.  

If we as consumers are dissatisfied with the quality of cleaning, we need to say something.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 7

26 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Did you ever live in a college dorm?

College dorm =\= cruise ship. 🙄

Not to mention the fact that the girls dorms were cleaner (and infinitely less smelly) than the guys dorms. So maybe your bar is just naturally too low. 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BunnyHutt said:

Not to mention the fact that the girls dorms were cleaner (and infinitely less smelly) than the guys dorms. So maybe your bar is just naturally too low. 😉

Times have really changed, all of my kids lived in coed dorms with the opposite sex next door and across the hall, one daughter had coed hallway bathrooms.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BunnyHutt said:

Another poster who missed the point entirely.  I "survived" four years of college dorm life.  I had much more important things on my mind than when the last time was that the bathroom was cleaned.  When I board a cruise ship, it's exactly the same.  I am there to treasure time with my family, have as much fun as humanly possible, and just thank God for the fact that I'm alive and able to enjoy such an experience.  I simply don't have the time/interest/mental energy to get all wrapped around a Q-tip under the sink in my bathroom.  If that's how you want to spend your time on holiday, knock yourself out!

Low bar indeed!

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Another poster who missed the point entirely.  I "survived" four years of college dorm life.  I had much more important things on my mind than when the last time was that the bathroom was cleaned.  When I board a cruise ship, it's exactly the same.  I am there to treasure time with my family, have as much fun as humanly possible, and just thank God for the fact that I'm alive and able to enjoy such an experience.  I simply don't have the time/interest/mental energy to get all wrapped around a Q-tip under the sink in my bathroom.  If that's how you want to spend your time on holiday, knock yourself out!

Low bar indeed!

Nope, didn’t miss the point. But clearly we have different definitions/visions of what constitutes a “dirty sink.” You’re assuming the OP is complaining about a stray q-tip. Having 2 teenage boys, I’m envisioning stray hairs, soap scum and dried toothpaste. 🤷🏼‍♀️ And when I’m on vacation (that I am fortunate enough to be able to take), part of the reason I’m paying thousands of dollars is so that I *don’t* have to deal with it. 

• Like 8

We have sailed on more than 10 different cruises (with various cruise lines) in the post-Covid world and all of them have experienced similar issues to crew staffing. An article about a year ago, indicated that 40% of the 300K+ people who worked on cruise ships didn’t return to their professions. Crew staff have had many problems getting work visas. All of the cruse lines are trying to give passengers the same experience with fewer staff. Cruise lines are offering the option of room attendants cleaning rooms once a day with no turn down service. Supply chain issues remain an issue. We have gone on cruises that have had shortages of bananas, certain wines and beers, eggs, and straws, just to name a few items. The staff and cruise lines are trying their best. You can still enjoy the experience. Cheers!

1 minute ago, Nodakboiler said:

We have sailed on more than 10 different cruises (with various cruise lines) in the post-Covid world and all of them have experienced similar issues to crew staffing. An article about a year ago, indicated that 40% of the 300K+ people who worked on cruise ships didn’t return to their professions. Crew staff have had many problems getting work visas. All of the cruse lines are trying to give passengers the same experience with fewer staff. Cruise lines are offering the option of room attendants cleaning rooms once a day with no turn down service. Supply chain issues remain an issue. We have gone on cruises that have had shortages of bananas, certain wines and beers, eggs, and straws, just to name a few items. The staff and cruise lines are trying their best. You can still enjoy the experience. Cheers!

Yes enjoy but if I am not getting proper service why pay the DSC? If I don’t need to settle for less why shouldn’t I give less . Dirty cabin is just not accepted. If I ask more than once it’s obvious that management should be involved not a conversation with the steward or his boss 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BunnyHutt said:

And when I’m on vacation (that I am fortunate enough to be able to take), part of the reason I’m paying thousands of dollars is so that I *don’t* have to deal with it. 

So you have a choice.  Don't cruise or choose how to deal with it.  The choices appear to be a) get all up in a huff, scold whoever will listen and then keep complaining about it after the cruise on the internet of b) mention it to the Steward and then forget about it and enjoy your holiday.

29 minutes ago, BunnyHutt said:

So maybe your bar is just naturally too low. 😉

Some might argue that "maybe your 'bar' is set too high?"🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

The more people that accept poor quality cleaning of cabins both on embarkation day and throughout the cruise, the greater chances NCL will continue to think what they are doing is “fine” and “acceptable.” The more people that speak out to guest services and the housekeeping managers, the greater chance NCL becomes aware of customer dissatisfaction and (hopefully) makes changes.

Cabins USED to be thoroughly cleaned between guests.  Now they are tidied and  have linens and towels replaced but are not being wiped down thoroughly or sanitized.  I always bring Lysol wipes and clean the cabin (including all handles, light switches, phones and the tv remote)   Should I have to do this? No.

Vacuuming is done the day before embarkation which is why I have found toenail clippings in several cabins (ew ew ew.) This is also why I found a camera and tripod behind a balcony curtain (yes I turned it in and did not post about it on social media hoping to contact the owner😲.) Cabin stewards are no longer checking fridges and drawers.  This is why I found a diaper in a cabin drawer.  

If we as consumers are dissatisfied with the quality of cleaning, we need to say something.

Well said and I agree 100%.   

• Like 11

32 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Low bar indeed!

Yuk. Based on your standards, Margaritaville at Sea might be a good choice for your next vacation!!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Low bar indeed!

Let's hope the message get to the ships.

The cabin stewards can leave your cabins to last, maybe 2hours after the scheduled get them ready  time and if they can't finish the job they can knock off for the day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SpainAlien said:
6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Seems like very very very very very minor issues. But it is your right to make it a big deal.. Better taken up with your room steward. 

I know what you are saying but what it means is that my room was not cleaned after the previous guests.

It's one thing to not have your 'own' room cleaned quite to the level you would like , But very much another issue if the previous guests Filth is still lingering when you arrive .

...To me this would be to the contrary , a very very very very very MAJOR issue !

Cheers 

• Like 14

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:
4 hours ago, BunnyHutt said:

You’re okay with checking into a dirty cabin? I’m a frequent traveler and don’t have the highest of standards (ie late service wouldn’t bother me) but arriving as a new guest into a cabin where the bathroom hasn’t been properly cleaned is not acceptable. At all. And makes me wonder what else was overlooked. 

I have traveled and cruised enough to know that it does no good to besmirch crew here for any shortcomings.  In my experience, let the steward know what was left behind and let them correct it.  They want nothing more than to make sure you’re happy.  Their tips and ratings depend on that.  Barring that, if it continues, then go to Customer Service and let them know.  They will get the crew member’s manager involved.

Complaining here about a steward doesn’t help anyone.  And, if you want it addressed, the place to do that is on board.

Crew work hard.  I’m likely to cut them some slack if they overlooked something in the cabin

This is what the problem is becoming .... People felling like it is not OK to complain (I.E. expect a certain standard of service )... because the crew is overworked ...And they are !

I like you am pretty easy to please , in fact , in my 13 previous cruises have NEVER made or left a complaint about anything ... Not once . However since returning from my last cruise and reflecting on how poor some of the service standards had become , (especially with dining), It is striking me that even though this is no fault of the crew , and in the vast majority of cases it is probably not, that I will begin voicing my dissatisfaction moving forward . That is not to say besmirching the crew , rather being very clear that I am unhappy with the cruiselines cutbacks that are at the root cause of the majority of the issues . If this is not done , they will continue to go about their business feeling like they can get away with it .

Cheers

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Goldenknight said:

This may have been a true blanket statement in the past , but in the present cruising environment I would Respectfully ... completely disagree !

Cheers

• Like 3