OLife moves to "all in"

WESTEAST

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Not exactly the same. The things you mentioned are free on all cruise lines.

like  other things  not really free  but included in the fare 😉

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mwj said:

After reading the various thoughts posed here, I will offer my own as to how 'Simply More' will take shape.

Alcohol is a significant revenue stream, as the price/cost ratio is high.

Oceania loses significant revenue when guests bring their own alcohol onboard.

Excursions are also a significant revenue stream for the same reason.

'Simply More' will entail a reduction in the number of included excursions.

'Simply More' will include a glass of wine or beer during lunch and dinner.

'Simply More' will include a token amount of OBC.

Where simply more is less.

• Haha 1

Most people only see things from their perspective, and what works for them. Businesses don’t really see it from our perspective, they offer a product, if you like the product at the price they offer then you’re a customer, if not we find something that suits us. It’s never bothered me to subsidize things I don’t care about. I understand it’s part of the package. Going forward many people may have to adopt this philosophy with Oceania. 

PS, it appears there might be a few new posters here who really don’t understand what the Oceania product is about. No offense to them. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, ORV said:

Most people only see things from their perspective, and what works for them. Businesses don’t really see it from our perspective, they offer a product, if you like the product at the price they offer then you’re a customer, if not we find something that suits us. It’s never bothered me to subsidize things I don’t care about. I understand it’s part of the package. Going forward many people may have to adopt this philosophy with Oceania. 

Agree with you 100%. We are booked on 3 cruises on SS (1 past and 2 future) because the price (and of course the itinerary) were right. But with more things included, the prices on average will be higher, and all other factors equal, you would prefer to sail on a cheaper line if the more expensive line includes things that are of no value to you.

19 minutes ago, ORV said:

PS, it appears there might be a few new posters here who really don’t understand what the Oceania product is about. No offense to them. 

Since I don't drink, paying thousands more for the ability to drink unlimited amounts of Dom Pérignon is really not a value for me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

Since I don't drink, paying thousands more for the ability to drink unlimited amounts of Dom Pérignon is really not a value for me.

I doubt Oceania will be including Dom Perignon in any drink package  so you are safe

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The ringing of hands and "I will never sail O again" because they will " fill in the blank" speculation will in a few hours change - we prefer to wait and see the specifics and then make a personal decision if the higher ups at O are changing O to a product that no longer works for us.  A lot of wasted angst over the unknown.  We have made note of the pricing for several cruises we are booked on and looking at for the next several years and can then know if the prices have raised "thousands" so we can enjoy a glass of ....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

why get your knickers in  a knot worrying about it  until the details are revealed

Agreed. Now is now and then will be then. The offer will be what it is. And existing and potential customers can then decide if its a offer that suits or not.

On 6/6/2023 at 5:33 AM, babysteps said:

Wonder if they will personalize the offers based on current selection - for same category and cruise, will the person who has selected 'beverage package' get a different offer than another person who has 'OBC'? Inquiring minds...guess we better book that additional cruise we were thinking about very soon so we KNOW cruise only will be an option 🤠

Based on past promotions, what you will probably get is an opportunity to rebook though there will be a price differential. The unknown is how that differential will be calculated.

50 minutes ago, ORV said:

That would sort of be me except I haven't commented on the Oceania product because I don't understand it.  I'm a Princess and Celebrity cruiser but am examining Oceania for December, 2024.  Other than paying about double (per person per day) for what seems to be a somewhat nicer veranda cabin I'm having a bit of a tough time identifying the additional value I may be purchasing.  Of course, this may be my latent parsimony at work but I'm open to educating myself.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2023 at 11:57 AM, GICNJC said:

Wanted to add to the speculation that everyone is offering up.  We have been OLife bookers, always the excursions.  (Once was upgraded to Ultimate though my spouse is a very limited drinker.  A bottle of wine lasts her three days.  Due to meds, I am not a drinker).

My cloudy chrystal ball indicates they may be moving in the direction of other upper middle providers such as Viking and provide wine and beer with meals, a free excursion in each port, and air fare (which they will continue to offer $ back for if doing own air).

Despite my shaking the chrystal ball, it does not stop being cloudy, so I guess we will find out shortly from the TAs.

I sincerely hope they will NOT move to Viking model.

Last time I checked, Viking prices were 20-30% higher compared to O (I assume mostly due to more inclusions) and pretty close to SS prices for many itineraries. I find it hard to see how someone would book Viking at the same (or similar) price as SS, all other factors equal, and same is true for O.

As much as I like O, I still consider SS a step up. I would not pay 30% more for what I get with SS, but if prices were similar, my choice would be obvious..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ORV said:

I don’t use the gym, sauna, play pickle ball, use the pool or hot tubs, go to the shows or lectures and don’t want to subsidize those that do. See how that can work? It’s a slippery slope. 

You are too funny we miss you!!

Jancruz1

5 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

That would sort of be me except I haven't commented on the Oceania product because I don't understand it.  I'm a Princess and Celebrity cruiser but am examining Oceania for December, 2024.  Other than paying about double (per person per day) for what seems to be a somewhat nicer veranda cabin I'm having a bit of a tough time identifying the additional value I may be purchasing.  Of course, this may be my latent parsimony at work but I'm open to educating myself.

For starters, you will be sailing with a lot less fellow passengers which makes for no lines, etc.  There are very few, if any, children onboard.  There are no photographers, art auctions, pool side activities, self serve buffets, no charge for any non-alcoholic drinks (including coffee/espresso), no charge for specialty restaurants, grilled to order steak, lobster, shrimp, lamb chops daily, free WIFI, etc.  But it only matters if these have any value to you...

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I sincerely hope they will NOT move to Viking model.

This 👆.

Last thing the cruise industry needs is to validate the Viking model by imitation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ORV said:

I don’t use the gym, sauna, play pickle ball, use the pool or hot tubs, go to the shows or lectures and don’t want to subsidize those that do. See how that can work? It’s a slippery slope. 

I agree. I’m not a frozen lobster fan like some here, like mine fresh. How about only serving lobster once per segment or doing up charges for all those double surf, no turf ers? I should get a lower ala carte rate! 🍷

3 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I agree. I’m not a frozen lobster fan like some here, like mine fresh. How about only serving lobster once per segment or doing up charges for all those double surf, no turf ers? I should get a lower ala carte rate! 🍷

Up charges..this message board would blow up with complaints..people are complaining now and they dont even know why..

Jancruz1

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

21 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

"I'm a Princess and Celebrity cruiser but am examining Oceania for December, 2024."

That's the month my wife and I will be trying Oceania for the first time. Are you, perchance, referring to the December 4th cruise on Sirena, out of Miami?

We've been repeat MSC Yacht Club cruisers, but we felt we should try some other premium-and-higher cruises. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jancruz said:

Up charges..this message board would blow up with complaints..people are complaining now and they dont even know why..

Jancruz1

😂😂

Jan;  Only attempting humor along with ORV. People have no interest in paying for what they don’t like, but want others to help pay for what they do. Maybe we’ll just take the No lobster discounted package. 🥂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, no1talks said:

That's the month my wife and I will be trying Oceania for the first time. Are you, perchance, referring to the December 4th cruise on Sirena, out of Miami?

We've been repeat MSC Yacht Club cruisers, but we felt we should try some other premium-and-higher cruises. 

I'm looking at the Miami to Bridgetown, 21 Dec - 4 Jan on Sirena.  We enjoy Christmas and New Years onboard a cruise ship.  I'd sort of like something outside the Caribbean but my Commanding Officer wants to try the cruise line before we venture further afield (asea).

• Like 2

With this much action prior to the formal announcement, I can’t wait to see the reactions when we have the facts. I am waiting with “bageled” breath, as my late husband used to say. 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, SophieM said:

With this much action prior to the formal announcement, I can’t wait to see the reactions when we have the facts. I am waiting with “bageled” breath, as my late husband used to say. 😊

It will be so much fun to watch the shift in whining.......we have our popcorn ready !   

• Like 1