Retreat on Ascent,do you do Specialty Dining ?

dock

Hi, we’re looking at The Retreat on Ascent. 

7 nights. 3 Sea Days. 
We’ve never been on E class and never in Retreat on any ship. 
CC is highest we’ve booked as we’ve always had our kids with us and needed 3 cabins. 

This time it’s just the two of us so we’re ready to splurge a bit. The ship is really the destination for this trip as we’ve done all the Caribbean ports before so unlikely to do many excursions. 

We will probably book an Aqua Sky Suite as I’m not sure about the Magic Carpet suites and Sky Suites are not available. 

Do people still book speciality and if so which would you recommend?

Would we get bored with Luminae for 6 nights?

Will try Blu one night, and one of the MDR one night just for a change. 

Thanks for any advice. 

I myself like a change of pace for a night or two on a 7 night cruise.  Wife and I are sailing Ascent in a Sky Suite in January, and will eat at at least one specialty..probably more.  We do have a little onboard credit to burn up..so that helps.  

Recently off MSC in the YC and we had 2 dinners in specialties.  YC was excellent by the way.  Looking forward to the comparison to the Retreat.  I fully expect the Ascent to be much nicer than MSC when not in the suite area.  Every Celebrity ship I have sailed on has been.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are booked on Ascent for next March, similar 7 night Caribbean sailing as yours....and we will likely not get off the ship either.  It is our first E class as well and only our second retreat experience.  We have booked two specialty dinners...one in Eden and one in Rooftop Grill.  If Taj X is offered, we may do that, but otherwise we loved Luminae enough from our last time in retreat that we decided two is enough.  

• Thanks 1

We were in the Retreat on the Beyond and didn't eat in the specialty restaurants because we liked Luminae and Blu (yes, we ate at Blu three times with no reservation and no wait.)  I think we had reservations or one specialty but cancelled after talking to a few people.  We figured we paid premium to be in Retreat and didn't need to spend more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For your first time in the Retreat I would stick to Luminae and use the Blu option if you want a more casual change of scenery. I would pass on the MDRs all together. You could make a specialty reservation ahead of time for later in the cruise then cancel it if you were happy with your other two options. 

• Thanks 1

Eden for dinner is really special.  We ate there twice last cruise.  Service was top notch.  If you like beef, then the Fine Cut Steakhouse is a good choice but comes in #2 for us.

• Thanks 1

We have been in the Retreat on all E class ships and are booked on the Ascent, although not in the Retreat this time.  I can't eat fish or seafood so find the Luminae menu very limited and ordering from the MDR menu is not a option on the E class due to the distance between Luminae on Deck 16 forward and the MDR kitchens on Deck 2 aft. So we book 1 - 2 specialty restaurants or go to one of the MDRs.

We have tried all the specialties on the E Class, except Raw on 5.  LeVoyage which is only on the Beyond and will be on the Ascent is our #1, we also like Fine Cut and Eden.

Our experience in dining in Blu when in the Retreat was different than @datecher in 6 cruises we have only been able to get into Blu once.  We were not in a Aqua Sky Suite or a high end suite and Blu had no availability until 9:15 - too late for us.

• Thanks 1

Hi!  I was on the Beyond but I believe the Ascent will have the same specialty restaurants.

I was on a 9-night sailing and we ate in Specialty Restaurants 3 nights and a Main Dining Room one time.

We loved Eden (have it booked for my next cruise) and really enjoyed the Rooftop Grill (went twice and booked as well for next cruise).

We wanted to go to Blu (we loved it on an S-class ship) but the night we thought we would try it, we weren't fond of the menu, so that's the night we tried a Main Dining Room, Tuscan. The service was actually great.  Food, eh.

Everyone has different preferences with food so I would say to take a look at the menus and if you like any of the concepts/food then definitely try at least one specialty restaurant. 😀  

Honestly, Luminae wasn't all that spectacular (some food & some service).  It was wonderful to be able to have lunch there on embarkation day and sea days (if you choose).  Breakfast is available daily.  The service and food, in my opinion during my cruise, was not over the top, as some people say.  There were highlights for sure though.  I won't turn this into a Luminae review. 😉

If you take a look at the app, you'll see what the Luminae menu will be and can plan specialty or other venues around that, if you choose.  If Ascent isn't there yet, take a look at Beyond.  Beyond Luminae does have some different choices compared to Luminae on the other ships.  I don't know if Ascent will have some different choices as well.  You can definitely get a good idea of the menus though.  You can get the 'Classic' apps, entrees and desserts too.  

Other Specialty Notes:

Raw on 5 is open for lunch and dinner.  We didn't get there. Enjoyed Sushi on 5 on Equinox but ran out of days on the Beyond.  😉   I don't eat seafood but can manage to get some things.  

Le Petit Chef.  Enjoyed it on another ship.  Didn't like the menu on Beyond and wanted to try new places.  Le Grande Bistro menu during the day. 

Fine Cut.  Many not so great reviews honestly deterred me.  I said I'd go if everyone else wanted to.  We decided not to.  I have read some good reviews since then.  So...???

Le Voyage.  I just wasn't into all of the hype.  People do love it though.  

You'll likely get all kinds of opinions for who likes this, who doesn’t like that.  😆   I would say look at the menus (for included Restaurants and Specialty) and go from there.   

🍹

• Thanks 1

I was very disappointed with our E Class cruise back in 2019. Limited food choices in Luminae. We will be sailing with friends on Apex in June 2024. I've done more homework this time. If Luminae does not serve Prime Rib. I'll dine in Fine Cut Steakhouse or MDR one night. I'm hoping Raw on 5 will be open on a port day for lunch. E Class Luminae should have more items on their menu. Items only available on E Class ships.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the input.
We were considering booking Le Voyage and Eden. 3rd Option Rooftop Grill if Blu is

not possible. 

Will try to get book Blu one night and liked some items in  the Cyprus menu so had shortlisted that MDR .

I’ll look at Luminae menus and plan around that. We thought with  breakfast daily and lunch most days at Luminae, dinners could be a bit boring in the same space 

I am factoring in the cost of Retreat and then additional Specialty Dining in addition, but do have a healthy OBC budget so that helps. 

Thanks all, getting excited for a new experience. 

• Like 2

we thought the food in Luminae was excellent but I would use the word inventive for the menu.  "Normal ingredients but with a definite twist. They also have the everyday items like steak, salmon and chicken. They also have a kids menu which I saw some couple (amazingly ) eating from 

we have stayed in AQ and dined at Blu.  Very good but food is more of an edge than inventive.  

I wouldn't think that you would need specialty unless you are big steak eaters - then Fine Cut would be your choice.  Luminae and Blu are not going to serve a prime rib, although there is a very good ribeye available some nights 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/6/2023 at 3:17 PM, dock said:

Hi, we’re looking at The Retreat on Ascent. 

7 nights. 3 Sea Days. 
We’ve never been on E class and never in Retreat on any ship. 
CC is highest we’ve booked as we’ve always had our kids with us and needed 3 cabins. 

This time it’s just the two of us so we’re ready to splurge a bit. The ship is really the destination for this trip as we’ve done all the Caribbean ports before so unlikely to do many excursions. 

We will probably book an Aqua Sky Suite as I’m not sure about the Magic Carpet suites and Sky Suites are not available. 

Do people still book speciality and if so which would you recommend?

Would we get bored with Luminae for 6 nights?

Will try Blu one night, and one of the MDR one night just for a change. 

Thanks for any advice. 

Dinner on the Edge is amazing.  Also the special dinner in the Roof top garden.  Just amazing you can have app then entree and come back later for dessert.  That's my suggestion it is really worth the added cost.  However if you are in the suites above sky suite you can eat in any of the speciality dinners My suggestion do not miss dinner at eden

19 minutes ago, sailnjmom49 said:

However if you are in the suites above sky suite you can eat in any of the speciality dinners My suggestion do not miss dinner at eden

I do not believe the Celebrity Suite has included specialty dining.

On 6/6/2023 at 5:41 PM, tfred said:

we thought the food in Luminae was excellent but I would use the word inventive for the menu.  "Normal ingredients but with a definite twist. They also have the everyday items like steak, salmon and chicken. They also have a kids menu which I saw some couple (amazingly ) eating from 

we have stayed in AQ and dined at Blu.  Very good but food is more of an edge than inventive.  

I wouldn't think that you would need specialty unless you are big steak eaters - then Fine Cut would be your choice.  Luminae and Blu are not going to serve a prime rib, although there is a very good ribeye available some nights 

The Luminae Children’s Menu has/had a 4 oz filet that was a good size for some people.

On each of our E-class suite sailings, we have done at least one specialty restaurant. After 6 cruises in less than two years, the Luminae menu gets predictable. We love Eden. Did LeVoyage on Beyond and it was good but we liked Eden more. Our first Rooftop Grill meal will be in January on Ascent -- since its outside we waited until a winter cruise. Even though the price has gone up, we like lunch at Le Grand Bistro -- never very many people. 

mac_tlc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark_K said:

The Luminae Children’s Menu has/had a 4 oz filet that was a good size for some people.

My wife frequently ordered the filet and enjoyed it, however they have recently replaced it with a 4 oz NY Strip as part of their new cost saving menus. 😩

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

On each of our E-class suite sailings, we have done at least one specialty restaurant. After 6 cruises in less than two years, the Luminae menu gets predictable. We love Eden. Did LeVoyage on Beyond and it was good but we liked Eden more. Our first Rooftop Grill meal will be in January on Ascent -- since its outside we waited until a winter cruise. Even though the price has gone up, we like lunch at Le Grand Bistro -- never very many people. 

mac_tlc

Agree lunch at Le Grand Bistro is excellent but pricey! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1