Which hotel for Fort Lauderdale are people staying in these days?

Tweedy

4 hours ago, nhraformula00 said:

Hyatt Place does NOT charge for breakfast when booked thru Valuetrips. Best hotel in 17th street area IMOP.

Thanks for some recent experience. The breakfast policy seems to have perhaps changed.

Great information.  As I have plenty of time before sail date (October '24), I will definitely be filing through some of the hotel threads.  A friend of my is going to be staying at Margaritaville in Hollywood Beach soon and she's going to let me know what she thinks of it as an option for us.

As we plan to fly into Miami a couple of days before sailing, our options are open as to where to stay.

16 minutes ago, kathylynnt said:

Could someone please explain what "Valuetrips" is? A booking agency or something that you have to join?  Sounds interesting.

Thanks,

Kathy

It is a 3rd booking party.  Free to book and they only offer Hyatt Place on 10th Ave, FLL.  They do have black out dates.  On their site, their only show room rate without tax.  They email confirmation with total room cost.  If you want to modify or cancel you contact Hyatt Place direct.

I had booked direct with Hyatt Place for Feb 2023.  Once Value Trips prices for 2023 came out (Dec 2022) and I received my confirmation, I cancelled my direct booking and saved $91 for the night.  I had free breakfast.

www.valuetrips.com

9 minutes ago, kathylynnt said:

Thanks Phabric.  So you are able to cancel it if you don't like the price that they give you?  I noticed when enquiring, you have to give them your credit card #.

Kathy

Not Phabric....Yes you can easily cancel. Giving your credit card just let's them hold your reservation. Your card isn't charged until at the hotel. Once VT confirms your reservation everything is handled through the hotel directly.

21 minutes ago, kathylynnt said:

Thanks Phabric.  So you are able to cancel it if you don't like the price that they give you?  I noticed when enquiring, you have to give them your credit card #.

Kathy

The credit card is to hold the reservation, like any other hotel that asks for a credit card.  You pay at the hotel.

You cancel through the hotel direct.

The hotel will add a small $ to your hotel bill and it will be removed if you do not purchase anything at the hotel.

The price on their site is only the hotel price.  The confirmation email will show the total price - hotel and tax.

You can sign up at checkin for a $ shuttle to Port Everglades.

Edited by phabric

Just now, kathylynnt said:

Thanks Ashland & Phabric!  Looks like I'm ready to book.  Hope it's a great deal!

Happy Weekend to you.

Kathy

Since Value Trip website only shows the hotel price, I would check Hyatt Place hotel price (no tax) for your dates then check what Value Trips hotel price than compare. 

We stayed at the Hampton Inn airport this past February. Sad to say it was terrible. A lot of customers were complaining about the free airport shuttle, lack of working elevators, and extremely poor free breakfast (waffle maker out of order,etc). We checked in at 4:30 pm and didn’t get our room until 7 pm. We plan to stay at the Hyatt for our next cruise. 

Thanks for all the info, folks!  I'm looking for a hotel, too, haven't sailed out of FLL since '16. 

I think I might try Riverside or Hyatt just for the heck of it.  Was never overly impressed with Embassy.  I have stayed at Best Western, too.  I like the convenience of shuttle service, traveling alone.  I'm older so at this stage of my life, paying double for a single cabin, hotel price, don't care.  

On 6/10/2023 at 11:55 AM, Lois R said:

The Riverside on Las Olas Blvd is my favorite. Love the property and especially the location. When you ask which hotel people are staying at these days? The same hotels that have always been there.....17th Street area have Embassy Suites, Renaissance, Hyatt Place, Hilton Marina, Holiday Inn Express...then there is the beach (too many properties to name)........Dania Point has more options.

I would say take some time and scroll thought all the "Hotel Threads" (it could take you a couple of hours) and see what comes up.

We have reservations at the Riverside for December.  Any tips for 2 adults and our 13 yr old daughter?  Staying 1 night prior to cruise however we get in to FL very early.

I just booked Hyatt Place via ValueTrips based on this thread, so thanks! Our confirmed rate was $149. If I were to book on the Hyatt website without advanced payment, the member rate for that night is $292. The savings seems nearly too good to be true.

And what has happened to hotel prices? They've nearly doubled in the past few years. We look for inexpensive for pre-cruise as we generally don't arrive until evening, then leave first thing in the morning. There's no such thing any more, and it's everywhere, not just FL. Heck, I am paying $220 plus tax for a Hilton Garden Inn before our cruise from Norfolk. Sorry for being a crotchety old whiner, but sheesh!

• Like 1

Been doing hotels in Ft. Lauderdale for 40 years.

Pre-cruise 

Courtyard Marriott FLL Beach

The W Hotel on the beach.

The Ft. Lauderdale Hilton right beside the W is always a winner.

B Ocean Resort stayed here a couple of times pre cruise when it was the Sheraton love the place and great shuttle to Port Everglades. Very competitive prices.

The Westin FLL Beach between the Ritz-Carlton and the W is a winner too, and you can get great pricing on the Westin. Great location the pool was a bit small but the ocean is across the street. 

These are reasonably priced pre cruise hotels in a superior location. I highly recommend these hotels. Do the math.

Later Todd 

2 hours ago, abpplh said:

We have reservations at the Riverside for December.  Any tips for 2 adults and our 13 yr old daughter?  Staying 1 night prior to cruise however we get in to FL very early.

See Fort Lauderdale by boat!  The tour boat Carrie B (www.carriebcruises.com) docks less than a block from the Riverside and offers afternoon 1 1/2 hour cruises.  In December they also offer an evening cruise which is a great way to see mansions and yachts all decorated for the holidays.  Another alternative is the water taxi (www.watertaxi.com).  Your ticket is good for the entire day and they may offer holiday evening rides (they don't appear on the website yet).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, abpplh said:

There is a Water Taxi stop right behind the hotel.  Fort Lauderdale is best seen by water (weather permitting).  You can hop on / off at various stops or stay onboard for the entire journey on the New River and Intracoastal.  It is beautiful to board around sunset and do a nighttime cruise, as many of the waterfront homes are beautifully decorated and lit for the holidays.  You can also do the Jungle Queen or Carrie B water tours as well.

Plan B, if the weather is not kind, is the Museum of Discovery and Science.  There are many exhibits and an IMAX theater.

2 hours ago, Serious Cruisers said:

I am going to try galleria one fort Lauderdale for some pre cruise shopping. Anyone stayed here?

We wandered the Galleria on our disembarkation day (we had a few hours to kill). It was a mall, nothing earth shattering (so to speak). They had a couple nice looking restaurants and we had a pleasant, reasonable lunch at PF Chang's

Just now, J13C85 said:

We wandered the Galleria on our disembarkation day (we had a few hours to kill). It was a mall, nothing earth shattering (so to speak). They had a couple nice looking restaurants and we had a pleasant, reasonable lunch at PF Chang's

Yes dinner at Chang's and a trip thru Macy's and Dillards is suffice for me

Just now, Serious Cruisers said:

Yes dinner at Chang's and a trip thru Macy's and Dillards is suffice for me

There was another restaurant with outdoor seating (the name escapes me) and what we saw as we walked by looked like it was presented nicely and was visually appealing.  Also am pretty sure the Galleria is a stop on the water taxi (we loved the water taxi, it was a lot of fun). Saw some amazing looking homes and a few $300M yachts on our adventure.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, J13C85 said:

There was another restaurant with outdoor seating (the name escapes me) and what we saw as we walked by looked like it was presented nicely and was visually appealing.  Also am pretty sure the Galleria is a stop on the water taxi (we loved the water taxi, it was a lot of fun). Saw some amazing looking homes and a few $300M yachts on our adventure.

You are correct it stops at hotel (another reason for location) and a Publix across street in case we forgot something

• Like 1

We have stayed at lots of places pre-cruise in Ft Lauderdale. Next cruise in March we are staying at Marriott on Hollywood Beach. We are arriving two days early to enjoy the beach scene. We have stayed there before and enjoy location as it is right on the broadwalk. If you haven’t been there it is a wonderful place pre-cruise. We have used Uber to cruise port and no problemo. 

• Like 1