O'Sheehans Fettuccine Carbonara is superb

SpainAlien

I am on NCL Dawn currently and the food generally has been very good but the fettuccine carbonara in O'Sheehans is fabulous. I routinely avoid ordering pasta because it is often either undercooked or mushy but this was cooked perfectly (al dente) and the flavour was right on point although I know this is subjective.

I was nervous going into this cruise having read so frequently that the food quality has gone down but that has not been my experience this week.  Well done NCL!

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

I am on NCL Dawn currently and the food generally has been very good but the fettuccine carbonara in O'Sheehans is fabulous. I routinely avoid ordering pasta because it is often either undercooked or mushy but this was cooked perfectly (al dente) and the flavour was right on point although I know this is subjective.

I was nervous going into this cruise having read so frequently that the food quality has gone down but that has not been my experience this week.  Well done NCL!

thanks for the tip. Sounds wonderful.

1 hour ago, SpainAlien said:

I am on NCL Dawn currently and the food generally has been very good but the fettuccine carbonara in O'Sheehans is fabulous.

Great to hear. My DW and I are looking forward to eating at O'Sheehans - they seem to serve lots of stuff we enjoy - like chicken wings and fish&chips and now maybe Fettuccine Carbonara!!!

This is a dish that I regularly order out and was excited to see it on the menu at the Joy's Local last year.   Then, I tried it and, unfortunately, was not a fan.   But this is my opinion and taste.

28 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

This is a dish that I regularly order out and was excited to see it on the menu at the Joy's Local last year.   Then, I tried it and, unfortunately, was not a fan.   But this is my opinion and taste.

Was it traditional or with cream? Pancetta or bacon?

Thanks for the info.  I always enjoyed it when it was offered in the Main Dining Room.  Nice to know it would now be available anytime.

Now if they would just add the Lava Cake to the menu I'd never leave.  Lol!

Enjoy!

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

Was it traditional or with cream? Pancetta or bacon?

That was going to be my question… I’m betting it’ll be cream and bacon..

proper traditional is guanciale not pancetta 

Edited by Greener123
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

I would not normally order pasta let alone Carbonara so a nice recommendation to try something I have not tried at O'Sheehans before. 👍👍

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

Is it available every night throughout the cruise, or just on one night as a special menu item?  Any chance it is offered for lunch on a sea day?

11 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

Is it available every night throughout the cruise, or just on one night as a special menu item?  Any chance it is offered for lunch on a sea day?

O’Sheehans isn’t a MDR, it has a fixed menu so it will be available every day and night.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

O’Sheehans isn’t a MDR, it has a fixed menu so it will be available every day and night.

In the past, O'Sheehan's has offered a fixed menu plus occasional nightly specials such as "Prime Rib Night."  I figured that they might still be offering specials.  Fettuccine seems to be a little outside the wheelhouse for a sports bar which normally offers burgers and beer (also Reuben sandwiches, etc.), so I wondered if it might be one of their daily specials.  Good to know that it's part of their regular menu.

On 6/9/2023 at 1:27 PM, SpainAlien said:

this was cooked perfectly (al dente) and the flavour was right on point

assuming it wasn't a special, did you have it a second time? and was it the same?

my experience at the local and o'sheehan's  (except for the desserts) is that the dishes often vary wildly from one day to the next in terms of taste, portion size and presentation.

Edited by UKstages

On 6/9/2023 at 4:26 PM, Greener123 said:

That was going to be my question… I’m betting it’ll be cream and bacon..

proper traditional is guanciale not pancetta 

Yup but sometimes one has to improvise. (And it can still taste good even if it's not the 'official' recipe)