Passport Renewal - it's been 12 weeks so far

gonole1972

State Dept website states 10-13 weeks.  I sent mine in about 3 weeks ago and expect it to take a couple more months.    BTW, I started a thread the day I mailed it in and the thread got moved.  I'll go find and post the link so you can see other's experiences.  I expect this thread will also get moved as it's not RCI specific.

Here it is.  

Edited by BND

1 hour ago, gonole1972 said:

4 of our family sent in renewal paperwork 12 weeks ago.  Still waiting.  Anyone else been waiting this long?  

If you are getting too close to date of travel call your local congress rep.  That have staff that deal with this issue every day.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, topnole said:

If you are getting too close to date of travel call your local congress rep.  That have staff that deal with this issue every day.  

My daughter had paid for the express processing of her passport and was going out of country for school.  She was told to wait until the week before her travels to escalate but she instead contacted our local congress rep.  The next day it was processed and shipped….

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reisdawg said:

My daughter had paid for the express processing of her passport and was going out of country for school.  She was told to wait until the week before her travels to escalate but she instead contacted our local congress rep.  The next day it was processed and shipped….

That is bad info by the way.  If you wait until the week before you will not have time for the congressional office to help.  You many even get locked out of any potential appointments at passport offices.  You need to contact them w

few times weeks prior and call for an emergency passport appointment appointment two before as I recall.  

If anyone is past their time frame and has travel coming up, I’d advice calling their congressional office immediately.  If there is no travel, just be patient.  We sent out three together in the same envelope.  One of my kids passports came back and weeks later the other two still were in process.  It took a call to our congress woman’s office to get them in time.  Once they got involved things started to happen.  

It’s total BS they give time frames and then go weeks or months over.  This isn’t a Disney ride line.  People plan around those dates and spend thousands in travel.  1-2, or even more months past the stated time range is ridiculous and they should have a much better system of communication (tracking).  They can’t tell you anything.  Meanwhile you can order a $2 item from Amazon and know right where it is in the process.  Even pizza chains tell you right where your pizza is, not something as important as a passport?  The answer is we don’t know and can’t tell you anything, just wait and be patient.   This is why hundred or maybe thousands of congressional staffers do this crap daily.  What a poor system.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gonole1972 said:

4 of our family sent in renewal paperwork 12 weeks ago.  Still waiting.  Anyone else been waiting this long?  

Yes, I waited 13 weeks. I had a current passport card, thinking I'd never need the book but then we planned a cruise where I needed it.  If your cruise is within 2 weeks and you haven't received it yet, there is a number to call where they will expedite it, I assume.  

10 hours ago, Denise Ann said:

We sent our renewal in on April 6, checks cashed on April 13. Passports arrived on May 27. Passport cards the next week. Very happy with timing. Feel relieved to have them in hand.

We sent ours off in December and the posted wait time was max 8 weeks.  Well we passed that and eventually had to get help from our congress woman’s office.  Weird is that 1 of 3 (all sent out together in same envelope) came back after about 6 weeks.  The other two took way longer and wouldn’t have arrived in time if not for congressional help.  If yours wasn’t expedited that was really fast, and I would say the exception not the norm.  

28 minutes ago, topnole said:

We sent ours off in December and the posted wait time was max 8 weeks.  Well we passed that and eventually had to get help from our congress woman’s office.  Weird is that 1 of 3 (all sent out together in same envelope) came back after about 6 weeks.  The other two took way longer and wouldn’t have arrived in time if not for congressional help.  If yours wasn’t expedited that was really fast, and I would say the exception not the norm.  

Last Fall had new one issued in 6 weeks, non-exp... Just double checked, was recieved in 6 weeks and 1 day

Edited by ONECRUISER

We’re not cruising until late April 2024. Our passports expire in December 2023. Planning on early December just to make sure they’re back in time. 

Our friend, who works for a government agency closely tied with DOS, said they’re are very backed up now that people are traveling again. Meanwhile he and his wife are still waiting for theirs. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Last Fall had new one issued in 6 weeks, non-exp... Just double checked, was recieved in 6 weeks and 1 day

It’s just really inconsistent.  You can’t count on their time ranges.  Once it’s in process you have zero way of knowing where it is or when you will get it.   

3 hours ago, topnole said:

It’s just really inconsistent.  You can’t count on their time ranges.  Once it’s in process you have zero way of knowing where it is or when you will get it.   

True, see that by range being reported here. When got my New Passport in Fall 2019 was under 5wks-2 days(non-exp). But before then many on here were reporting slow renewals of double that like some are currently reporting