Shoes for Alaska

santafeismyhome

Hello all.  I’m directing this at Women cruising Alaska at the moment.  I’m on the June 17 Grand Princess R/T sailing out of Vancouver.  I’m doing carryons only due to the grueling trip from New Mexico to Vancouver . I’m all packed with the EXCEPTION of footware.  I’ve packed black ballet flats and a cheap pair of flip flops for wet areas and a pair of trainers.  Now here’s the big question!!!???  UGGs.  I love these Alaska boots.  But I will need to wear them on the plane because they are bulky.  I’m thinking I’ll just do it because they are warm, comfortable and I can stand hours in them.  They are easy to get on and off , but really ugly to be wearing in transit 😱🥵, especially in summertime .  My other choice is a pair of really bulky hiking boots that look nicer but are a bear to get on and off.  Opinions?

Edited by santafeismyhome
Misspelled a word

2 minutes ago, santafeismyhome said:

My other choice is a pair of really bulky hiking boots that look nicer but are a bear to get on and off.  

do you have TSA precheck?  (we go Wed for our appointment)

Voljeep, I found out it expired while I was traveling in Europe 🤯 I constantly keep track of my passport but this slipped through.  I rarely travel in the US so it got by me as it’s worthless abroad.  I’m just steeling myself for a grueling travel day tomorrow and will reapply before I head back to Vienna for the winter.  

• Thanks 1

It isn't going to be THAT cold in Alaska that you need warm boots (I say this as a person living in Texas where the high today is 98). I would suggest comfortable walking shoes/sneakers if you have them. If you don't but are able to buy some, Sketchers Go Walk shoes are comfortable and light weight.

• Like 2

Agree...I'd wear/buy a sturdy pair of walking/hiking shoes (think tennis shoe like but with firmer treads on the bottom).  Spray on waterproof for them if they are not waterproof.  Wear those on the plane and you will be fine. 

Everyone is right, you won’t need winter boots in June.  However, a good hiking shoe or even leather sneakers will suffice.  You’ll be surprised at how warm it can get in Alaska.  Personally, I’d leave the flip flops at home and replace with a light, mesh type sneaker or slip on shoe. That way you’ll have all types of weather covered.

2 hours ago, CruiserN1 said:

It isn't going to be THAT cold in Alaska that you need warm boots (I say this as a person living in Texas where the high today is 98). I would suggest comfortable walking shoes/sneakers if you have them. If you don't but are able to buy some, Sketchers Go Walk shoes are comfortable and light weight.

"I would suggest comfortable walking shoes/sneakers if you have them."

^THIS^

Just returned from a 10 dayer on the Crown. We had rain basically everyday at some point, but I just wore trainers/tennis shoes walking around the port towns and hiking the top of Mt. Roberts in Juneau. Feet stayed dry. No need to overthink this. Trainers will be just fine. Don't forget a pocket umbrella!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, santafeismyhome said:

UGGs.  I love these Alaska boots.  But I will need to wear them on the plane because they are bulky.  I’m thinking I’ll just do it because they are warm, comfortable and I can stand hours in them.  They are easy to get on and off , but really ugly to be wearing in transit 😱🥵, especially in summertime .  My other choice is a pair of really bulky hiking boots that look nicer but are a bear to get on and off.  Opinions?

If you don't have the time or inclination to buy another pair of shoes (I do love my Sketchers) wear the UGGS,  comfort first.  And, not that you would probably care, UGGS are worn year round in southern California - they are even considered fashionable.  While I don't wear mine in a heat wave, they are nice in the evenings when it is cools down.

I would recommend getting a pair of waterproof hiking sneakers and wearing those on the flight.  That way you don't have to pack sneakers.  Its not cold enough in the summer to need Uggs, and they also don't have the best grip if you are hiking, walking on a glacier etc.

• Like 2

I wore Gore-tex Brooks athletic shoes (water proof). I would never bring Uggs. Well - maybe if visiting in January but not in June!!!!!!

Bring waterproof athletic shoes.

We were in the high 70's.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, miagirl said:

If you don't have the time or inclination to buy another pair of shoes (I do love my Sketchers) wear the UGGS,  comfort first.  And, not that you would probably care, UGGS are worn year round in southern California - they are even considered fashionable.  While I don't wear mine in a heat wave, they are nice in the evenings when it is cools down.

I don't think they are fashionable in Alaska though. Maybe CA but not Alaska. They are more into functionality.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Heading to Alaska RT from San Francisco 7/6. Based on all the advice and tips here I invested in a pair of waterproof hiking shoes. I went with Columbia because I got an incredible deal. They aren't too bulky or heavy and are super comfortable right out of the box. 

• Like 1

Unless you're headed up to the top of a glacier or something, no need for the thick boots.  We were in Alaska in May 2019 and we were in t-shirts at Icy Strait Point - there were even people wading in the water there.  Check the temperatures before you go!

Edit to add that yes, we encountered a fair amount of rain up there.  June might be better than May though.

Edited by Dreamscaper

7 minutes ago, Dreamscaper said:

Unless you're headed up to the top of a glacier or something, no need for the thick boots.  We were in Alaska in May 2019 and we were in t-shirts at Icy Strait Point - there were even people wading in the water there.  Check the temperatures before you go!

Edit to add that yes, we encountered a fair amount of rain up there.  June might be better than May though.

My May trip last month had sunny 70+ days every day last month. Plenty of people swimming.

We went last July - Alaska weather can be iffy.  It was a lot wetter and colder than I expected.  I had a pair of Columbia water proof hiking shoes (kinda sneaker like)  They kept my feet dry which kept me warm enough.  I also wore them in May in Norway where it rained also.  You may very well not need them, last year it was sunny and warm the week before us but June July are the rainy season.