Strict arrival times

Babybooface

2 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

I'd be fascinated to know why not.  If it is possible for people to get to the terminal, drop their luggage and check-in, why is it not possible for those same people to get to the terminal, drop their luggage and then go into town for a couple of hours and return?  I understand that the arrival of coaches is timed to allow passengers to board straight away.  So, all other passengers must have got to the terminal under their own steam or been brought by others.  So, why can't they drop their luggage and then use their own steam or that of others (or, worst case, a taxi) to take them into town and then bring them back again?

Why do the old, frail folks need to go to a place called ' the terminal '..?

I could drop my bags off and me and DW spend a couple of hours in Southampton busking.🤣

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We stop 1 or 2 nights in Southampton pre-cruise and walking around without cases is fine and we see what we want.

After my heart attack 3 and a half years ago and awaiting hip replacement it is inconvenient pulling cases around.

Before my heart attack I worked out regularly in the gym and at home and lifting most things was no problem.

But why would you be pulling cases around if you have your car? My parents last cruised with us 5 years ago - my mother having had a double knee replacement and my father with a walker so plenty of medication between them! We left the hotel at 11 and spent a few hours in Ikea (my father in the cafe with his newspaper) having parked in their car park. Not inconvenient at all. Yes, early embarkation would have been nice, but it is what it is and we wouldn’t dream of arriving well before our allocated time. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

I'd be fascinated to know why not.  If it is possible for people to get to the terminal, drop their luggage and check-in, why is it not possible for those same people to get to the terminal, drop their luggage and then go into town for a couple of hours and return?  I understand that the arrival of coaches is timed to allow passengers to board straight away.  So, all other passengers must have got to the terminal under their own steam or been brought by others.  So, why can't they drop their luggage and then use their own steam or that of others (or, worst case, a taxi) to take them into town and then bring them back again?

Could it possibly be that the Old or Disabled person having maybe travelled 5 or 6 hours by coach or train might be in just a little bit of pain by the time they reach the terminal. And just want to pop a few pain killers and lie down on their comfy P&O bed for a while.

Edited by GOQ
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, Cloudyrain said:

You can drop your suitcase from 11am regardless of boarding time: drop cases and go back in to town for lunch. 

My choice for Ocean terminal would be a wander to the Admiral Sir Lucius Curtis for some pints of Doom Bar and some fish and chips, then a somewhat erratic walk back to the terminal 🥴

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, davecttr said:

My choice for Ocean terminal would be a wander to the Admiral Sir Lucius Curtis for some pints of Doom Bar and some fish and chips, then a somewhat erratic walk back to the terminal 🥴

Unfortunately Dave, the Admiral is one of the 'Spoons' that is closing down at the end of the month. 😒

You might just catch 'last knockings' on your upcoming cruise. 

Andy 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Unfortunately Dave, the Admiral is one of the 'Spoons' that is closing down at the end of the month. 😒

Andy 

Never mind, i don't drink much beer nowadays and not far off taking Ovaltine baths.

• Haha 7

Just glad we are not boarding today... 

The IOW festival starts and one of the major roads near the port, Town Quay, is closed due to a police incident... 

Just an example of how things can go wrong, no wonder we all want to get there early... 

Andy 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, zap99 said:

We need to look into things a bit more. Perhaps a binge year and book them all, or is that being a bit to selfish?.🤣

I would join you but I would need another job to pay for them .

I remember my dad saying  ..." You selfish boy "

If only I had listened to him and bought a fish mongers van .... 🙃

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

According to google maps it is a 20 minute walk to West Quay from Ocean Terminal, not great in this heat.

Also I would not recommend going into Southampton with any valuables especially a passport unless it is very securely hidden. There has been a spate of passport thefts from people wandering around until it is their time to get on the ship. I met the partners of the victims of passport theft on recent cruises, one in April and one in May. Those who had lost their passport were denied boarding. I suspect there are many more.

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

According to google maps it is a 20 minute walk to West Quay from Ocean Terminal, not great in this heat.

Also I would not recommend going into Southampton with any valuables especially a passport unless it is very securely hidden. There has been a spate of passport thefts from people wandering around until it is their time to get on the ship. I met the partners of the victims of passport theft on recent cruises, one in April and one in May. Those who had lost their passport were denied boarding. I suspect there are many more.

Then, unfortunately, if you arrive early, your only option is to wait outside in the queue... 

P&O are not budging and this is how it is for now. 

If you can't physically walk for 10 mins to Oxford Street, won't get a taxi, are worried about getting robbed, then ask P&O for assistance or queue... 

It's not nice, but they must feel it is necessary. 

Andy 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Ardennais said:

But why would you be pulling cases around if you have your car? My parents last cruised with us 5 years ago - my mother having had a double knee replacement and my father with a walker so plenty of medication between them! We left the hotel at 11 and spent a few hours in Ikea (my father in the cafe with his newspaper) having parked in their car park. Not inconvenient at all. Yes, early embarkation would have been nice, but it is what it is and we wouldn’t dream of arriving well before our allocated time. 

I explained in the post you replied to.

13 hours ago, GOQ said:

Could it possibly be that the Old or Disabled person having maybe travelled 5 or 6 hours by coach or train might be in just a little bit of pain by the time they reach the terminal. And just want to pop a few pain killers and lie down on their comfy P&O bed for a while.

If they arrive by coach, particularly CruiseConnect, there is no waiting. Check in time is boarding time no matter what their pass says.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

If they arrive by coach, particularly CruiseConnect, there is no waiting. Check in time is boarding time no matter what their pass says.

Yes I know, it's great isn't it. 😇😁.

A really good option.

Slightly OT, on my last Britannia TA arriving at Southampton there were no coach transfers available so I took the train. And I fell over boarding the train, and the rest of the passengers desperately trying to board an already overcrowded train almost walked over my body.

That's partly why P&O is such a good option for me, the coach transfers.

Edited by GOQ
Added

14 hours ago, davecttr said:

Errrrrrrrrrr, perhaps not, old boy. Its one of the “Spoons” down for closure. although it was still open in March

10 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

It was closing down before Christmas. :) 

Lease running out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cathygh said:

Quite handy then that I travel with three passports.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

Quite handy then that I travel with three passports.

But seriously, it is quite handy that Irish citizens can have both a traditional passport book plus in addition if they want a wallet sized passport card - https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/great-britain/passports/passportcard/

The wallet size passport card is a full passport that can be used in the EU, the EEA, and the UK and works the electronic passport gates, and can be used without the traditional passport book.

So if you are going ashore to one of those places that says you should take your passport (yes I know nowhere ever checks, but…) then you could take the passport card and leave the passport book in the ship safe (or the other way around), and if you lose it then sure you need to report it but you are not going to be stuck somewhere without a passport.

And as someone with dual nationality, then I also have the UK passport to fall back on if really necessary.

Edited by 9265359
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, david63 said:

UK citizens can have more than one UK passport

Only if they can prove a need for one - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/additional-passports/additional-passports-accessible

And even if the passport does accept the evidence you have to provide and approves it, it isn’t a card that will fit in a wallet.

12 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I explained in the post you replied to.

I don’t quite understand. If someone has a car, then they’re not pulling suitcases around. One only has to take their luggage out of their car once and that is when they turn up at the terminal. Makes no difference if that is at 12 midday or 4pm or any time in between. If someone can’t manage, then there is assisted boarding. But there is still no need to turn up well before their allocated boarding time. 

28 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

After retiring I made some tentative enquiries into becoming a dual national and getting a second passport based on Mum's dual nationality.

Just as well the embassy never got back to me.  Mum was Russian.

If you were looking to get dual Russian nationality then you must have been born in Turkmenistan or Tajikistan as those are the only countries that Russia allows dual nationality with...

Any problems cruising on P&O with a Turkmenistan or Tajikistan passport?