Just returned from first P&O cruise post covid. Ventura N314

Bill Y

Host Hattie
This post was recognized by Host Hattie!

"Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone in the community. We'd like to encourage your to submit your review for publication to Cruise Critic as well."

Bill Y was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Just back from a 14 night Canaries cruise on Ventura, not sailed with P&O since 2019 and not from Southampton since 2018. Last time on Ventura was 2014, tend to like smaller ships, only booked this to use FCC before it expired.

We were not given a “welcome back” increase in OBC or an invite to bid for an upgrade.

I was sure that I could arrange parking at Southampton, but when I tried booking after making final payment I found that the prices had risen considerably or the car parks were fully booked. So I asked my TA if I could change my mind and have the included car parking. P&O agreed, we sacrificed £120 OBC.

I was concerned about reports being made of queuing outside the terminal for hours and long queues at CPS last year, people on CC advised that 15 mins should be allowed to check the car in. The day before as Iona and a Princess ship would also be docked I phoned CPS for advice, they asked our check in time and said for 12:15 aim for 45 mins before. Due to delays on the M3 we arrived via gate 20 at 11:45, there were about four cars in the queue and it only took a few minutes to check the car in. We crossed to the Mayflower terminal, there were no porters around so we headed through the passengers queuing to “Luggage Pod 3” we queued behind two couples, a lady came and looked at our luggage labels and said we should go to the next pod as there were different pods for different decks. A lady was walking up the road shouting priority, we said yes please she did not check anything but said go to the doors marked departures. We had to cross the queue again and walk down the road as the pavement was filled by the queue, at these doors, we showed our boarding passes to the man at the door he saw the words priority boarding at the bottom and let us in, It was very quiet a lady checked the boarding passes and said go to check in and pointed us in that direction, last time we were given a coloured lettered card and waited to be called. The terminal was virtually empty a few in the distance, there was no one at the thirty or so check in desks we walked up to the first one and was checked in, no questions about Insurance, heath or visits to West Africa, as there was no one else queuing we talked to the lady who said they had just started boarding. So we followed the signs to where there were a few people siting, the lady there asked what tier we were and said take seat we will call Caribbean shortly, there was not that many there as I had heard that they were overrun by Caribbean’s. We were on board before 12:00. The only embarkation we experienced that was as quick as this was at Yokohama with Princess. The queue was still being held outside the terminal. We headed for our muster station which was the theatre but had the doors closed, we asked a crew member standing by the lifts she scanned our cruise card and said go. The embarkation lunch was due to start at 12:30 but people were going in before 12:15 so we followed, the Lunch was good with waiter service, in 2018 although in a MDR it was a buffet. We were still in the restaurant having just finished lunch and feeling mellow when it was announced that the cabins were ready.

It was announced that there was no need to book with the app and it was first come first served. We assumed that this applied to the MDRs as well as the entertainment. The next morning we turned up at about 08:00 for breakfast at a MDR and bumped into a couple from the lunch who were told that there was not a table for two available so they asked us if we wished to share with them and we got a small table for four immediately, it was a bit of a struggle to accommodate all the plates, We left at about nine and had struggle to leave the restaurant between the two large queues, one for walk ups the other for app users. The second morning we used the app, on the way out there was less chaos, there were few couples in the app queue and a large number behind queuing with their backs to the wall so we had no trouble in exiting. We assumed that the people with their back to the wall were the people who had just joined the queue and had gone to the restaurant to wait to be called. By the second week we were not aware of people queuing waiting to be called. There were tales of people booking at 19:00 for dinner but not being seated until 21:00, others suggested that it was because they did not wish to share.

We had second sitting for dinner which had plenty of empty tables and ate most breakfasts and lunches in the MDR. The lunch menu we found restrictive unless you wanted a burger or baguette. The diner food was unremarkable and meat often not tender. On the third formal night, there was only one meat starter and the chef’s recommendation, the pinnacle of his gastronomic skills and P&O’s finest ingredients was Lancashire hotpot! No disrespect to the good people of Lancashire but it’s hardly worth putting on a diner suit for such fine dining.

We were expecting post covid to have port talks, to inform us of options and sell P&O excursions, there were none. Excursions said that there were only two port presenters fleet wide and they used to keep the port guides but they no longer did we felt that the bar and café lists to download were a joke,. I remarked that did they want to sell excursions? This was borne out by an excursion to Sintra as there were only 16 people. In the past after seeing the presentations we would decide to book a P&O excursion or do our own thing. So I feel that P&O’s excursion days are numbered they will say there is no demand.

As there were no port talks (seven ports) there was a big hole in the daytime entertainment schedule that was not filled. There seemed to be not much entertainment for grown-ups early evening and often two performances clashed. It seemed that the entertainment was geared up to everyone eating or queuing early evening. There were seats available in the theatre for the 22:30 performance at 22:30, the last time we were on a P&O grand class ship (2014) you had to be there 20 minutes before. We were surprised to see young children at this late time as were some of the entertainers. When films were shown they were over lunch time which appeared to be bad planning.

The future cruise presentation appeared half hearted and lacklustre. We visited future cruises and mentioned there was little that appealed to us, instead of trying to sell us a cruise it was suggested that expedition cruises may be more suitable and when we said we preferred the smaller ships Seaborne was mentioned. We got the impression that we were not the passenger demographic that P&O wished to sell to or wanted on board their mega ships. Despite this we booked a 21 night to Iceland, then realised that we had not been asked about car parking or coach travel, so went back and were offered parking for £130 reduction in OBC

and told to confirm with CPS for 2025 ASAP.

The disembarkation went smoothly.

In conclusion, the embarkation and disembarkation was good, the included food was sometimes disappointing compared to pre covid. Entertainment was not good considering the size of the ship, but it was a cruise and all the ports were visited. Our next cruise is on Aurora so it will be interesting to see what the experience is like on what is now termed the smaller ships in this brave new world of attracting a younger clientele who are prepared to pay for extras. Sorry I could not be more positive, but as others have said what you have not had you do not miss.

Edited by Bill Y
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 8

Great, balanced review, overall it sounds like certain things were a bit lacklustre (e.g., food, daytime entertainment etc.). Good to see some positives as well though. 

I’m hoping for some revamped menus in 2025 but won’t be holding my breath!

• Like 3

Good thinking.  I confess we always used to go to the port talks in case there was something we didn't know.  We never do excursions, preferring to DIY so perhaps that's why they are discontinued.  Most people have probably booked already.

25 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Often the port talk people would be at the excursion desk and if you wanted precise information they were able to help you. 

That’s true. I loved the port talks because they provided some historical information  too. Also gave you a flavour of a place. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, PurpleMoonlight said:

Wait, what!

You have to use the blasted app for breakfast or queue for a table?

That's aboult it if you want breakfast in the MDR, although if you are in a suit I believe that you can walk into Epicurean for breakfast. We found that at eight the MDR was quite, it was about nine that it got busy.

Edited by Bill Y
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bill Y said:

if you are in a suit I believe that you can walk into Epicurean for breakfast. 

People complain that standards are falling on P&O, but that dress code requirement seems a bit steep for breakfast 🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

On 6/13/2023 at 8:57 PM, Bill Y said:

Just back from a 14 night Canaries cruise on Ventura, not sailed with P&O since 2019 and not from Southampton since 2018. Last time on Ventura was 2014, tend to like smaller ships, only booked this to use FCC before it expired.

We were not given a “welcome back” increase in OBC or an invite to bid for an upgrade.

I was sure that I could arrange parking at Southampton, but when I tried booking after making final payment I found that the prices had risen considerably or the car parks were fully booked. So I asked my TA if I could change my mind and have the included car parking. P&O agreed, we sacrificed £120 OBC.

I was concerned about reports being made of queuing outside the terminal for hours and long queues at CPS last year, people on CC advised that 15 mins should be allowed to check the car in. The day before as Iona and a Princess ship would also be docked I phoned CPS for advice, they asked our check in time and said for 12:15 aim for 45 mins before. Due to delays on the M3 we arrived via gate 20 at 11:45, there were about four cars in the queue and it only took a few minutes to check the car in. We crossed to the Mayflower terminal, there were no porters around so we headed through the passengers queuing to “Luggage Pod 3” we queued behind two couples, a lady came and looked at our luggage labels and said we should go to the next pod as there were different pods for different decks. A lady was walking up the road shouting priority, we said yes please she did not check anything but said go to the doors marked departures. We had to cross the queue again and walk down the road as the pavement was filled by the queue, at these doors, we showed our boarding passes to the man at the door he saw the words priority boarding at the bottom and let us in, It was very quiet a lady checked the boarding passes and said go to check in and pointed us in that direction, last time we were given a coloured lettered card and waited to be called. The terminal was virtually empty a few in the distance, there was no one at the thirty or so check in desks we walked up to the first one and was checked in, no questions about Insurance, heath or visits to West Africa, as there was no one else queuing we talked to the lady who said they had just started boarding. So we followed the signs to where there were a few people siting, the lady there asked what tier we were and said take seat we will call Caribbean shortly, there was not that many there as I had heard that they were overrun by Caribbean’s. We were on board before 12:00. The only embarkation we experienced that was as quick as this was at Yokohama with Princess. The queue was still being held outside the terminal. We headed for our muster station which was the theatre but had the doors closed, we asked a crew member standing by the lifts she scanned our cruise card and said go. The embarkation lunch was due to start at 12:30 but people were going in before 12:15 so we followed, the Lunch was good with waiter service, in 2018 although in a MDR it was a buffet. We were still in the restaurant having just finished lunch and feeling mellow when it was announced that the cabins were ready.

It was announced that there was no need to book with the app and it was first come first served. We assumed that this applied to the MDRs as well as the entertainment. The next morning we turned up at about 08:00 for breakfast at a MDR and bumped into a couple from the lunch who were told that there was not a table for two available so they asked us if we wished to share with them and we got a small table for four immediately, it was a bit of a struggle to accommodate all the plates, We left at about nine and had struggle to leave the restaurant between the two large queues, one for walk ups the other for app users. The second morning we used the app, on the way out there was less chaos, there were few couples in the app queue and a large number behind queuing with their backs to the wall so we had no trouble in exiting. We assumed that the people with their back to the wall were the people who had just joined the queue and had gone to the restaurant to wait to be called. By the second week we were not aware of people queuing waiting to be called. There were tales of people booking at 19:00 for dinner but not being seated until 21:00, others suggested that it was because they did not wish to share.

We had second sitting for dinner which had plenty of empty tables and ate most breakfasts and lunches in the MDR. The lunch menu we found restrictive unless you wanted a burger or baguette. The diner food was unremarkable and meat often not tender. On the third formal night, there was only one meat starter and the chef’s recommendation, the pinnacle of his gastronomic skills and P&O’s finest ingredients was Lancashire hotpot! No disrespect to the good people of Lancashire but it’s hardly worth putting on a diner suit for such fine dining.

We were expecting post covid to have port talks, to inform us of options and sell P&O excursions, there were none. Excursions said that there were only two port presenters fleet wide and they used to keep the port guides but they no longer did we felt that the bar and café lists to download were a joke,. I remarked that did they want to sell excursions? This was borne out by an excursion to Sintra as there were only 16 people. In the past after seeing the presentations we would decide to book a P&O excursion or do our own thing. So I feel that P&O’s excursion days are numbered they will say there is no demand.

As there were no port talks (seven ports) there was a big hole in the daytime entertainment schedule that was not filled. There seemed to be not much entertainment for grown-ups early evening and often two performances clashed. It seemed that the entertainment was geared up to everyone eating or queuing early evening. There were seats available in the theatre for the 22:30 performance at 22:30, the last time we were on a P&O grand class ship (2014) you had to be there 20 minutes before. We were surprised to see young children at this late time as were some of the entertainers. When films were shown they were over lunch time which appeared to be bad planning.

The future cruise presentation appeared half hearted and lacklustre. We visited future cruises and mentioned there was little that appealed to us, instead of trying to sell us a cruise it was suggested that expedition cruises may be more suitable and when we said we preferred the smaller ships Seaborne was mentioned. We got the impression that we were not the passenger demographic that P&O wished to sell to or wanted on board their mega ships. Despite this we booked a 21 night to Iceland, then realised that we had not been asked about car parking or coach travel, so went back and were offered parking for £130 reduction in OBC

and told to confirm with CPS for 2025 ASAP.

The disembarkation went smoothly.

In conclusion, the embarkation and disembarkation was good, the included food was sometimes disappointing compared to pre covid. Entertainment was not good considering the size of the ship, but it was a cruise and all the ports were visited. Our next cruise is on Aurora so it will be interesting to see what the experience is like on what is now termed the smaller ships in this brave new world of attracting a younger clientele who are prepared to pay for extras. Sorry I could not be more positive, but as others have said what you have not had you do not miss.

You got a badge too 🍹

11 hours ago, Selbourne said:

People complain that standards are falling on P&O, but that dress code requirement seems a bit steep for breakfast 🤣 

Now my mind is racing ahead with the qualifying possibilities, boiler suit, trouser suit, birthday…..😀

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Now my mind is racing ahead with the qualifying possibilities, boiler suit, trouser suit, birthday…..😀

The latter is only acceptable on Iona and Arvia (according to some reports about hot tub activities) 🤣 

• Haha 5

17 hours ago, Bill Y said:

That's aboult it if you want breakfast in the MDR, although if you are in a suit I believe that you can walk into Epicurean for breakfast. We found that at eight the MDR was quite, it was about nine that it got busy.

P&O appear to be going out of their way to spoil the holiday experience.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 2:49 PM, PurpleMoonlight said:

Wait, what!

You have to use the blasted app for breakfast or queue for a table?

To be fair to P&O, queuing for a table in the mdr for breakfast has happened for many years on the smaller ships anyway...

• Like 1