Full English in MDR?

RJM1017

While I get you can order many of the parts individually, has anyone ordered a Full English Breakfast in the dining room?  If you ask for it will the staff have a clue what you want?  

Again, I get you can order items individually, but that is several items and it can take a while to order.  It would be much better (and quicker) if I could just order it directly.  

Thanks.  

My WAG (Wild A$$ Guess) is its incredibly doubtful that 100% of the waitstaff know what a "Full English" is and possibly the ones that do may mess that up

I'm not sure if they have tomatoes and/or english/back bacon in the MDR but they do have english/back bacon in the buffet

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, RJM1017 said:

While I get you can order many of the parts individually, has anyone ordered a Full English Breakfast in the dining room?  If you ask for it will the staff have a clue what you want? 

Even in the England there are many variations on a 'Full English', so no, I wouldn't expect them to be able to guess exactly what you want...

The buffet is usually your best best as they also do not always have the larger sausages in the MDR, if indeed they have them at all as depending on where you are sailing they may not be available locally.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

My WAG (Wild A$$ Guess) is its incredibly doubtful that 100% of the waitstaff know what a "Full English" is and possibly the ones that do may mess that up

I'm not sure if they have tomatoes and/or english/back bacon in the MDR but they do have english/back bacon in the buffet

The last I knew, the MDR had English bacon, grilled tomatoes, and baked beans as side dishes.  

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Kelownadon said:

Now there are two more questions 1) what is bubble and squeak and 2) what is black pudding?

I'll wait for one of my British friends to correct me, but bubble and squeak is cabbage and potatoes. Black pudding is a blood pudding. I've never seen bubble and squeak on a full English; black pudding is kind of hit and miss.

A typical full English would be eggs, baked beans, tomato, sausage, mushrooms, and toast. Thick English bacon is also common. As Mark_T said, there are variations. The most common I've seen is swapping sausage for bacon (and maybe occasionally getting both). 

• Like 1

I've never seen bubble & squeak on a full english before, but there is no denying it is delicious (its a weekend thing, using up the scraps of left over veggies (cabbage and potato) fried with eggs.  When you order the full english at a restaurant/cafe, they usually add blood pudding (disgusting) so I have always assumed that was part of the deal.  When you have it at B&Bs they often add fried bread which is such a wonderful reminder of my childhood but no longer (sadly) a responsible thing to eat.    The veggie version will have eggs, baked beans, hashbrowns, fried tomato, and toast.  its a yummy and coma-inducing breakfast - I always need a nap afterwards.  :  )

Edited by trinitygirl

The Scottish variation will substitute tattie scone for fried bread. Don't knock black pudding until you at least try it. I am very fussy about BP - it has to be Stornoway BP and not one of our English poor cousins. Don't forget the Haggis!

Back to OP - there are so many regional variations, I would not expect a MDR to serve it. Heck I don't trust the quality of Full English in England.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I love black pudding.  Though I grew up a very picky-eating American, I've traveled a lot and tried a lot of things that I never dreamed I would ever eat.  That said, my wife (who has traveled the world with me) still won't touch black pudding.

I would love to get a full English or Scottish or Irish on a cruise.

3 hours ago, anniegb said:

The Scottish variation will substitute tattie scone for fried bread. Don't knock black pudding until you at least try it. I am very fussy about BP - it has to be Stornoway BP and not one of our English poor cousins. Don't forget the Haggis!

Back to OP - there are so many regional variations, I would not expect a MDR to serve it. Heck I don't trust the quality of Full English in England.

Now now ag, would that not depend on the preparer/cook??? LOL

bon appetit and bon voyage

Just make a list of what you want and ask the server to serve it all on one plate. 

On the Silhouette a couple of weeks ago we had everything to make a full English. Fried eggs, baked beans, back bacon, British bangers, grilled tomatoes,  mushrooms, fried bread, toast, and on some days they had black pudding but it was the more grainy variety not the Bury style which I prefer. They also had HP sauce to finish it off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Obobru said:

Just make a list of what you want and ask the server to serve it all on one plate. 

On the Silhouette a couple of weeks ago we had everything to make a full English. Fried eggs, baked beans, back bacon, British bangers, grilled tomatoes,  mushrooms, fried bread, toast, and on some days they had black pudding but it was the more grainy variety not the Bury style which I prefer. They also had HP sauce to finish it off. 

I wonder, do the baked beans on the ships change depending on the sailing?  In North America, baked beans are usually sweeter and smokier compared to British baked beans.  Or maybe both styles are offered wherever they are?

35 minutes ago, bigAWL said:

I wonder, do the baked beans on the ships change depending on the sailing?  In North America, baked beans are usually sweeter and smokier compared to British baked beans.  Or maybe both styles are offered wherever they are?

We went to Scandinavia from the UK and only British baked beans were offered. I have been on American cruises and have had baked beans with bits of meat in it and more dark and smokey sauce. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Now now ag, would that not depend on the preparer/cook??? LOL

bon appetit and bon voyage

Ach no.

The quality of the ingredients.  English sausage varies from the Scottish Lorne or even black eye sausage.  When we purchase sausages from a butcher in Scotland, you are asked round or square 😉

I prefer a breakfast roll - my favourite a black pudding/tattie scone doubler !

A good order to place in MDR is beans on toast - most haven't a clue.

• Thanks 1

Guest Cable3232
8 hours ago, anniegb said:

In Scotland you still call it a "Full ENGLISH"?? 😂 How the Scots you have changed..... 😁

I would do Buffet otherwise you going to get a US version of an "English".

Next thing you going to ask is Jam or Cream first on an afternoon scone??

Edited by Cable3232

1 hour ago, Cable3232 said:

In Scotland you still call it a "Full ENGLISH"?? 😂 How the Scots you have changed..... 😁

I would do Buffet otherwise you going to get a US version of an "English".

Next thing you going to ask is Jam or Cream first on an afternoon scone??

Of course we don't ! We call it a cooked breakfast.

Heathen that I am, I favour a Dutch or German continental breakfast.

BTW it is the pronounciation of the word scone that invokes most debate.