Just how much of a problem ARE interlopers in the YC?

mafig

14 hours ago, xcell said:

Kicking them out doesn't do much ....   There's has to be a penalty... monetary, for the interlopers and those who aid them.  Charge them a large fee and maybe they won't do it again...

Exactly

Really they should be put off the ship and not allowed to sail MSC again.

They are breaking the contract of carriage and so on

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Exactly

Really they should be put off the ship and not allowed to sail MSC again.

They are breaking the contract of carriage and so on

So Harsh --- maybe just make them be an honorary pool attendants for the day?  Work off what they ate/drank...

Edited by xcell
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, xcell said:

So Harsh --- maybe just make them be an honorary pool attendants for the day?  Work off what they ate/drank...

Keel hauled!!!!  😀😀😀😀

Edited by kelleherdl
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, xcell said:

😆

If Carnival will kick off groups for drunk disorderly etc and leave them to get their way home (in contract of carriage)

then certainly MSC can address trespassing, stealing and impersonating another pax to gain entry into YC  can be addressed.

haha-- Keel hauled...   Clever

• Like 1

Just now, Fogfog said:

😆

If Carnival will kick off groups for drunk disorderly etc and leave them to get their way home (in contract of carriage)

then certainly MSC can address trespassing, stealing and impersonating another pax to gain entry into YC  can be addressed.

haha-- Keel hauled...   Clever

I had to google what "keel Hauled" was -- that it was a spelling mistake -- lol....

Its very odd that MSC has this apparently huge problem with non yacht club members entering the yacht club. I have cruised many times in the Haven on NCL and never really noticed a problem. 

Well, I did see on the Meraviglia people just walk in on Deck 19 with the two large automatic glass hatches (sorry Door if we are keel hauling I would switch to nautical terms)  when they are open. Each time someone at the Concierge Desk inquired if they needed assistance and they were encouraged to leave quickly.

The two hatches to the passageway (corridor doors to cabins) on 19 never observed anyone following someone in. That and people coming up the exterior ladder (stairs) multiple times to find the hatch (gate) locked and staring in while I was eating breakfast. 

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

Its very odd that MSC has this apparently huge problem with non yacht club members entering the yacht club.

I wouldn't call it a huge problem.  I'm sure it occurs from time to time.  On my last three YC cruises I never saw anyone try to slip in or who was in the area who had not paid for a YC room in order to be there.  Like the YC personnel, you kinda start to recognize who should be there and who shouldn't.  And the one time that I tried to enter Ocean House on the PI without my wrist band, I was immediately stopped by an attendant posted at the entrance to the private beach area.  I showed him my band and was allowed in.  Can it be a problem at times?  yes.  Is it a huge problem all the time?  IMO, no.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

maybe just make them be an honorary pool attendants for the day?

Let us not 'insult' the hard working, honest, pool attendants by subjecting them to watch over this proletarian rabble who might just sabotage ones order as retribution.

We are not dealing with 'the cream of the crop' here.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

IMHO, the real reason that problems like this exist is that crew members are so likely to be penalized if a cruiser turns in an unsatisfactory post-cruise rating form. Rating forms turned in by people who were caught breaking rules should be thrown away unread. This kind of problem has been around for years.  Nearly a century ago, railroad porters on Pullman cars were often forced to pay for property that was actually stolen by Pullman car passengers because thay knew that if they accused the passenger of stealing, then the passenger would deny it and complain about the service and the porter would be fired.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Some of these postings reminds me of a quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson "Traveling is a fool's paradise."

Indeed, I will be the first to admit that I have my head in the clouds (or some may say sand) when I'm on vacation.  In my former life as a middle school principal, I had to be on high alert at all times.  Now that I'm retired, I guess my high alert radar has also retired.  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Indeed, I will be the first to admit that I have my head in the clouds (or some may say sand) when I'm on vacation.

"I'll sail the sea until I croak,

Drink my whiskey, swear and smoke.

But I  can't swim a bloody stroke,

Said Barnacle Bill the Sailor."  

We are all among friends here......

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Let us not 'insult' the hard working, honest, pool attendants by subjecting them to watch over this proletarian rabble who might just sabotage ones order as retribution.

We are not dealing with 'the cream of the crop' here.

agreed.... fwiw, IDK why it lists me as posting that in your quote,... that wasn't my post

48 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

agreed.... fwiw, IDK why it lists me as posting that in your quote,... that wasn't my post

I missed having your scintillating views posted during my "Observations from the Poop Deck June 2023" 2 weeks ago.

Edited by morpheusofthesea

On 6/23/2023 at 6:17 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

I think you'd find that the vast majority of us are just regular Joes and Janes trying to enjoy a vacation in peace...

This is me and my husband. We're sailing the Meraviglia in October (New England & Canada) in the YC duplex. It's my 3rd cruise ever (last was 10 years ago) and this is his very first. Since we've had 3+ years of garbage (me with chronic pain, fusion, and hip replacement; the pandemic; etc.), we decided to do a cruise. 

The plan was to book a balcony on Princess, if I remember correctly (this was last June). After much research and seeing how limited the Canada & NE itineraries were in terms of when we can sail (Spring only, most were one way), I almost gave up. Then I remembered cruising MSC 10 years ago and started checking them out. Prices were way more reasonable for what I wanted, and they were sailing in the Fall, which is also what I preferred. I originally booked the Aurea whirlpool suite. Even though I thought it was a little pricey, it was less money compared to the same kind of suite on another cruise line. Then I started researching Yacht Club. After working up the courage--and checking my bank accounts and credit cards-- I decided to cancel the Aurea suite and book YC duplex. Double the price, but the amenities and cabin looked well worth the expense. 

I'm really looking forward to the cruise, and especially YC. It's not so much the exclusivity of it. It's more the fact that the food seems to have much more variety, it's much less crowded from what I'm reading, and we get the priority boarding. Plus it's a treat for us. I've booked plenty of nice hotel suites over the years, but I've never splurged on an entire vacation. 

As for interlopers, yes it would annoy me to see people sneaking in (breaking a lock to get in or using an unattended back gate) who didn't pay for the YC and looking to enjoy those ammenities, such as the dining room, pool deck, etc. And I would discreetly say something to a crew member.  But if it was someone who came in with a YC guest and it was just taking a quick tour of the area to see what it's like, I wouldn't care.  Although in that case I likely wouldn't even realize the person wasn't in the YC anyway. I'm not one to pay all that much attention to my environment and I'm not great at remembering faces. Probably not a good thing, but that's me.                   

• Like 3

No one is policing the Yacht Club for interlopers. No one is profiling anyone in the YC for interlopers. Not the YC guests and not the staff. The problem comes face to face when one goes to sit in their reserved pergolas and finds interlopers lying on your towels and sipping your drinks. Then when one tries to tell them to move on and out one has a confrontation. Who needs a confrontation to begin with?

Or one goes to the Seafood Extravaganza on the One Pool deck and can not find an empty table and a very long line. One then questions a staff member who just shrug their shoulders and when one complains one finds out 'things' because the service staff do not like it either. On these occasions the YC director is MIA. 

Then there are the interlopers that flaunt the no smoking areas rules, that light up next to you. We just get up and go to our nice balcony, but we shouldn't have to.

Wonder why one has such a long wait for a table for lunch at Ocean House or a ride to or back from OH for a trolley ?  Low batteries, baloney.

My DW should be carded more often in the YC to prove she belongs. It would reinforce our sense that the "exclusivity" advertised is true.

• Like 5

On 6/30/2023 at 8:45 AM, wolft927 said:

Its very odd that MSC has this apparently huge problem with non yacht club members entering the yacht club. I have cruised many times in the Haven on NCL and never really noticed a problem. 

Admittedly I've ignored NCL since a bit before COVID. But this previously was a very heated topic on NCL many times over the years which generated a lot of discussion as well. Especially in the early years of the haven with haven guests bringing other non-haven guests to use the haven pool and the haven restaurant. One thing with NCL and the Haven restaurant before we stopped cruising NCL was that you had to give your room number or card to the host, so a non-haven guest couldn't just sneak in on their own. And NCL didn't have an automatic drink package included with the Haven. With Yacht Club, once you're in no card is needed unless someone questions your presence, and premium drinks are included.

Edited by jame_g

5 minutes ago, jules815 said:

Drinks aren't included with Haven?

I went to the Haven bar and had to give the bartender my room card for two bottles of water and on my hotel bill I was charged for a "mudslide". Learned it is best to tip even for a bottle of water to avoid the hassle of contesting for a mixed drink.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jules815 said:

Drinks aren't included with Haven?

No.

Probably 99% of Haven guests book with the promo and the drink package has been one of the promos for as long as I can remember. There was a time when Haven guests weren't charged the 18% or 20% service charge on the drink/dining promo but NCL changed that years ago.

34 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

No.

Probably 99% of Haven guests book with the promo and the drink package has been one of the promos for as long as I can remember. There was a time when Haven guests weren't charged the 18% or 20% service charge on the drink/dining promo but NCL changed that years ago.

There was also a time when NCL included DSC along with the drinks package for Haven Guests.