Appreciate opinions on switching from TA to direct booking with cruise line.

Finding a good TA is important.  If your current TA isn't doing everything you want them to do, it's time to change.  Before deciding to go direct though, check out other TA's.  There are some that will give you good service AND provide an extra on board credit.  That's an OBC beyond what you might get booking directly.  

3 hours ago, simon.hed said:

I am too much of a control freak when it comes to planning trips. I have this subconsciously belief I can do it as well or better no matter the evidence to the contrary.

OTOH I see where people who cruise far more than we do wouldnt consider doing it for themselves. I keep saying I am going to try using a TA but I never do.

I am kind of a control freak too...  When I was younger (early 20s) my friends or family planned our vacations or cruises. 
On my first cruise 20 years later with my DH I realized I had no idea where to even begin. I found a TA that I really liked. We had great communication.  On our first two cruises, he really helped me and taught me so much. Then life got in the way and we didn't cruise again for 5 years.
When I started to plan our next cruise he was no longer at the same travel agency. So I booked by myself.  I Did not like it!! I couldn't just send an email or make a call at any hour,  instead, I waiting on hold if I had an issue or a question... BLECH!! 

So I went searching for a new TA... After 2 more cruises using random TAs, somehow, some way, I found my original TA at another agency!! 
I can't tell you how easy it is when you have a TA that understands your wants, needs, and your OCD control freak ways!! LOL 
My TA has helped my family members and my friends with issues when they weren't even booked with him... Now they are all using him too 🙂

• Like 2

I used to book all my own cruises, because of my control-freak tendencies, and poor experiences with apathetic TAs previously.  I had no idea how much could be saved by booking group rates up thru balcony cabin categories with the TA we now use!  I thought all TA pricing was the same as RCI, but I was definitely wrong.  

We have a few leftover bookings that were self-booked, but going forward, we will use this particular TA for our cruises.  And I've found that all the peripheral planning (flights, hotel stays, land excursions, etc) are enough to satisfy the "TA wannabee" control-freak inside me. 😂  Especially when it saves this accountant money.  

I personally suggest finding a new TA if you aren't happy with the one you have.  Not all TAs are created equally.  Look for one that is very responsive to emails.  Makes all the difference, at least to me.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I have a TA in name only because she's a family friend and we want her to receive the commission. Once the booking is complete, that's the end of our business transaction. I do everything else on line re drinks package purchasing, insurance separately from a 3rd party company, excursions on my own, air travel on my own, hotels on my own, etc. I even book land AI holidays/vacations on my own.

I’ve always done that part of travel planning on my own. My TA is the one who calls with any other matter. I’m thrilled that I have him wait on hold for any answers. 

The only time I’ve had to call Royal myself was when C&A points weren’t applied correctly and to use Pinnacle certificate 

11 hours ago, yancycruiser said:

I have used the same cruise travel agency for over 15 years and am strongly considering switching to dealing directly with Royal Caribbean.    Had several things happen with my current travel agency that have led me to considering this.    Please give me your pros and cons to either switch or find another travel agency.   Appreciate any and all opinions.  Looking forward to your responses.

Thank you,

You will pay more to cruise w/o a TA. Switch to a good one.

• Like 1

I too am a "control freak" and put a lot of planning into our vacations. When my husband and I decided to book our first overseas cruise I realized I wanted help booking international flights, hotels, and pre cruise activities. I had read a few horror stories from others who were not happy with their TAs, but I decided to take the leap anyway. We have two upcoming cruises booked with our agent and so far I am happy. 

I had a room picked out on the Royal Caribbean website and when I asked my TA to book it his price was lower than what was advertised on the website. It seems like he was able to book the exact room I wanted and not be charged the surcharge that RC charges you to select your room in advance. He also gave us a percentage discount and two different on board credits. Other than relying on him to make our deposit and final payment I haven't come across anything else that I've lost control over yet.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

TA all the way. No brainer. You talk to the same person each time, they are savvy, and coherent, you get perks, and you're not waiting on hold interminably. 

Actually, I prefer to be my own TA representing my own best interests and dealing directly with the cruise line... no middleman/woman/person 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

Actually, I prefer to be my own TA representing my own best interests and dealing directly with the cruise line... no middleman/woman/person 🙂

That's not possibe. Sorry! You can never see all of the cabin choices that a TA can. Just not available w/o the web connections they have available. And you can never cruise/spend enough to be able to resolve problems that TAs can. Also the OBC, perks and lower prices from TAs are not available to you as a customer. 

You are kidding yourself and spending money that, if saved would allow you to cruise more!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

That's not possibe. Sorry! You can never see all of the cabin choices that a TA can. Just not available w/o the web connections they have available. And you can never cruise/spend enough to be able to resolve problems that TAs can. Also the OBC, perks and lower prices from TAs are not available to you as a customer. 

You are kidding yourself and spending money that, if saved would allow you to cruise more!

Sorry, it's absolutely possible, and I've done it for each of our bookings for the past 25+ years of cruising.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, LEMJMcC said:

Do TAs really offer better rates and other perks such as refundable deposits (without requiring a second mortgage) OBCs, in-room gifts, etc.?

We've always done our planning, scheduling, and booking for everything...but I am open-minded.  Also, I'm wondering if TAs have more cabins available to them than what are shown on RC's website?  It seems every time I look at cabins on RC's website, the fore and aft cabins are all booked!

Depends on how much of their commission they're willing to give up and whether they book blocks of cabins.  We use our friends who are TA's because they are our friends.  We get no perks, except occasional gifts in our cabin.   They currently only book for family and friends so it's not a big business for them anymore (they used to do corporate travel for a co.)  No, TA's see the same rooms as everyone else.  Some cabin categories book quickly.

• Haha 1

It's all about the Travel Agent knowledge and ability! You receive nothing extra by booking online yourself other than the ability to be frustrated by line's service. As someone with 100 plus cruises since 1984, who also was a cruise only agent for few years after retiring from first career I will offer my thoughts.

Use a TA but one that cruise themselves. Know that cruise lines that offer call us and we'll plan your cruise often merely are contracting out to an agency type operation. Never use third party group cruise booking agencies. They contract for group space but do not actually book you with line until final pay. Should that agency go out of business they have your money not the cruise line. The cruise line will not even know your name until that time or have a booking n your name. Always use a credit card when booing and check to be sure the charge was from the cruise line not the agency. That insures your reservation and money gets deposited to the line itself. ( That goes for many hotel discount sites as well )

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BND said:

No, TA's see the same rooms as everyone else.

There are lots of times that I see a lot more cabins than what you can see on Royals website or other sites.  Cruising power gives access to all available cabins while Royals site does sometimes limit cabins that can be seen.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

A central Park balcony on the TA is currently over $9000.  Find a TA with some group space and you will get an oceanview balcony for $3000

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but what's the best way to do that? We booked one of the early Icon sailings on opening day and got a decent deal. Now some extended family would like to join us, but prices have gone way up. I'd love to find a way to get them a better rate.

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, LisaLisa87 said:

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but what's the best way to do that? We booked one of the early Icon sailings on opening day and got a decent deal. Now some extended family would like to join us, but prices have gone way up. I'd love to find a way to get them a better rate.

Thanks!

you will just have to start calling around to travel agencies.  Try asking on the other social medias group pages, I've seen lots of TA's volunteering that they have space available when asked.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LisaLisa87 said:

Do what I did and google user names of people who seem knowledgeable. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, marci22 said:

Do what I did and google user names of people who seem knowledgeable. 

LOL -- I'll try that! I already tried googling the ship and sail date along with "group rates" and didn't turn anything up that way.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Sorry, it's absolutely possible, and I've done it for each of our bookings for the past 25+ years of cruising.

Delusional. Do you give yourself 10% back as OBC? Or FREE specialty dining? How are you able to see group rates, that might save you $500 or more per cabin over cruise line rates? 🤔 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Delusional. Do you give yourself 10% back as OBC? Or FREE specialty dining? How are you able to see group rates, that might save you $500 or more per cabin over cruise line rates? 🤔 

Exactly.  I booked Icon when itineraries were first released and my TA's group space balcony was almost $800 dollars cheaper right out of the gate. Then it very quickly started accelerating upwards from there.

I track, on a spread sheet, all my cruises, OBC I'll receive, what I paid and the current price from Royal.  I can categorically state I have saved thousands of dollars.

image.thumb.png.e8e635e0b9ad471cbb0c6de8cb91d752.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Exactly.  I booked Icon when itineraries were first released and my TA's group space balcony was almost $800 dollars cheaper right out of the gate. Then it very quickly started accelerating upwards from there.

I track, on a spread sheet, all my cruises, OBC I'll receive, what I paid and the current price from Royal.  I can categorically state I have saved thousands of dollars.

image.thumb.png.e8e635e0b9ad471cbb0c6de8cb91d752.png

Looks like 'fuzzy' data to me..  😄