Constellation vs Beyond

TeamSmith26

I’d like  your opinions. My husband and I would love to book a cruise in the retreat class and are obviously finding a much more cost effective option on the older Constellation vs the newer Beyond ship. Do you think the newer ship is worth the extra cost? We are seeing about $5k more for a shorter cruise in a smaller room on the Beyond vs the Constellation. My husband and I are looking for a more exclusive experience with fewer crowds and more included amenities. Any advice would be appreciated. 

When booking a suite. Overall I like the M Class best. When sailing Asia or Alaska I like M Class. If I'm sailing where it is sunny, Med or Caribbean I like S Class ship. I only book E Class for itinerary. E Class Luminae has a limited menu. Other class of ships you and also order off the MDR menu. This is not the case on any E Class ship.

• Thanks 2

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I have no interest in the E Class ships. Currently booked on the Silhouette and Constellation and know I'll be pleased, having cruised on both before. Actually, I don't have an additional $5K, that I'm willing to spend, just to go on an E vessel. 

Whichever ship you decide upon, I hope your cruise is wonderful!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TeamSmith26 said:

I’d like  your opinions. My husband and I would love to book a cruise in the retreat class and are obviously finding a much more cost effective option on the older Constellation vs the newer Beyond ship. Do you think the newer ship is worth the extra cost? We are seeing about $5k more for a shorter cruise in a smaller room on the Beyond vs the Constellation. My husband and I are looking for a more exclusive experience with fewer crowds and more included amenities. Any advice would be appreciated. 

I would probably go with the Constellation.  It is a smaller ship than the Beyond.  The Beyond is really special with nicer amenities but I would not spend 5K more for the experience.  A factor to consider in the particular itinerary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the poster above.  If outdoor space (sundeck/pool) is something you would make extensive use of then Beyond.   Otherwise Constellation.  There are way less suites on Constellation and the Retreat Lounge and Luminae are much more intimate.  The service will be way more personal on the smaller ships with less suites unless you are in the upper suite classes on either ship.

• Thanks 1

One other factor to consider. M Class ships have limited specialty restaurants. So if your booking a Royal Suite or above you have specialty restaurant dining included in your booking. E Class ship has more specialty restaurants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I might ask, is booking a suite your absolute minimum cabin requirement? The reason I ask is because the Beyond is one of the awesome $1.3 billion E-class ships with all kinds of places to be entertained, whether it's in their awesome theater, The Club, or in the aft in Eden.

We were on the Apex in an aft-facing Veranda cabin back in Nov 2021 and had an awesome time, even though our previous cruise 2 months prior was on the Edge for 21 days in a sky suite. I've included my Live From thread from that Apex cruise to give you a taste of what an E-class ship is like. Don't worry about reading the dialog but check out the pictures to get a hint of what I'm talking about. After that cruise, we then cruised in sky suites on the Constellation (Dec 2021) and on the Reflection (Feb 2022), and by far the Apex cruise was the best. Did I mention there are also 4 MDRs to choose from? 😊

We love the E class Retreat experience.  We prefer the lighter brighter Retreat Lounge on the E class, Luminae menu is the same on all ships but we do like the look and atmosphere of Luminae on E Class, particularly the Beyond which larger  dining room and has a lot of  windows, so a view from most every seat.

The Retreat Sun Deck on all E class is great but the Beyond is amazing, 2 levels a mix of sun and shaded areas and plenty of loungers or couches.  

The amenities you are seeking with a suite are the same on all classes of ships. 

On 6/21/2023 at 4:35 PM, TeamSmith26 said:

Just come off beyond, and whilst on the cruise booked to go on constellation next May.

Beyond is great, but we were on reflection last year and there is just something about the smaller older ships.

Could be the balconies against the infinite verandas.

Can't really explain it.

• Like 3

If "more included amenities" is something that's important to you, then E class ships are definitely the way to go.  They have beautiful Retreat decks and Retreat Lounges designed specifically for suites rather than converted from Michael's Club.  That said, overall I much prefer M or S class ships to E class.  They are much more comfortable to me, and often much less crowded.   We sailed a B2B on Connie last year in a sky suite.  The room was spacious, as was the balcony which we loved.  The furnishings were older, although in some ways I find them more comfortable.  Two particular downsides - the tv was old, small, and did not even have online interaction like S or especially E class.  No movies whatsoever (not sure if it was just our cabin or all cabins).  The bathtub/shower combination was a mess - my 6'3" husband could not even stand up straight in the shower.  And the bathroom was much smaller and less nice than the one we had on Apex.  

All that said, for that kind of money difference I would have no hesitation picking Connie over Beyond.  In fact, perhaps you can consider going with Connie in a little higher level suite, keeping in mind as others have said that if you have unlimited specialty dining the options are much fewer on M class.

Choice between the Constellation and the Beyond... 

Yes I have sailed both...  and I am booked for future cruises on both...

Think a lot depends on the itinerary... If I am hot weather area (i.e. Caribbean) I would go for the Beyond over the Constellation as the Beyond Retreat Sundeck is fabulous... whereas as the Constellation has not been "Revoluntionized" yet she has NO Retreat Sundeck....  

Luminae is wonderful on the Beyond as the restaurant wraps right around the bow of the ship... however you can only order from Luminae menu   ... but you can always opt to dine in any of teh Main Dining Rooms if you prefer their menu one night...  and the Beyond offers a larger assortment of Speciality Restaurants

Beyond has a much larger and more varied scope of entertainment 

But for a cruise in cooler climates I would definitely opt to save some money as I would not miss the Retreat Sundeck which to me is the biggest lack for Retreat Guests on the Constellation...

However always your choice....

On 6/21/2023 at 2:40 PM, bigbenboys said:

One other factor to consider. M Class ships have limited specialty restaurants. So if your booking a Royal Suite or above you have specialty restaurant dining included in your booking. E Class ship has more specialty restaurants.

Agree way more specialty restaurants on E class , M class just has three sushi at 5 , Tuscan and Le Petit chef. Royal suite has liquor set up and other perks. We did royal suite in March on a M class and sky suite on beyond in November.

On 6/21/2023 at 11:55 AM, PROCRUISE said:

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I have no interest in the E Class ships. Currently booked on the Silhouette and Constellation and know I'll be pleased, having cruised on both before. Actually, I don't have an additional $5K, that I'm willing to spend, just to go on an E vessel. 

Whichever ship you decide upon, I hope your cruise is wonderful!

2 hours ago, George C said:

Agree way more specialty restaurants on E class , M class just has three sushi at 5 , Tuscan and Le Petit chef. Royal suite has liquor set up and other perks. We did royal suite in March on a M class and sky suite on beyond in November.

DH and I are with you PROCRUISE!  We have zero interest interest in E class: we  like smaller ships (thus fewer passengers), prefer small venues for music/entertaintainment throughout the ship, fewer # of of children on board and like the more "intimate" (smaller) atmosphere of Luminae or the Speciality restaurants.  And to pay far more for what we do not want seems to us to be the definition of insanity 🙂. We are on Equinox in September and Constellation on a B2B2B (21 nites) 0ver Xmas/NYE.  But each to what works and what price one is willing to pay for it.  Whatever the choice, have a fabulous cruise and make happy, positive memories 🙂

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Just come off beyond, and whilst on the cruise booked to go on constellation next May.

Beyond is great, but we were on reflection last year and there is just something about the smaller older ships.

Could be the balconies against the infinite verandas.

Can't really explain it.

Agree…the balconies are deal breakers for us.