Laundry question

zqtchas

I can't believe this will matter to most Crystal alumni whom I recall don't even care much about the smallish cabins on the low end of their ocean ships.

I will note for the record, that the three newer Regent ships have a better passenger to laundry room ratio!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/24/2023 at 1:55 PM, Keith1010 said:

Free unlimited laundry included in the CP every day.  Junior CP Suite Free laundry every ten days.

There is also some type of pressing for all the suites (varies by suite) and Dry Cleaning included in the Sapphire, Junior, CP although the frequency and amount is suite category specific.

If you go to the Crystal Cruises website and look for the accommodations for each category if you click on details it will show you the amenities including these.

Keith

Anyway Keith, thanks for the helpful information. And to the others who answered my question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ethereal Cruiser said:

I can't believe this will matter to most Crystal alumni whom I recall don't even care much about the smallish cabins on the low end of their ocean ships.

You are so right.

The only time I heard about this issue was from one couple. Like most issues it is a nit.

Happy Cruising.

Keith

15 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

I still bet you don’t do it the way your wife requires it to be done 😂😂. I get sick of doing things and then having my wife redo it eg re-sort the clothes or restock the dish washer - my response do it yourself - your way - then….

I can’t believe this discussion about who prefer to do their laundry or must do it themselves - aren’t there more important things on life or indeed about cruising? 

Coincidentally we just enjoyed free laundry on Viking - but hey the trade off was there was Noro on the ship so we had to soon the wheel on that. Seems we’ve dodged that bullet and are enjoying our Viking cruise - nice overall package but it’s not quite up there with Old Crystal, Regent or Silversea - but more than tolerable with some good points - eg this particular ship only launched in Dec 2022 and is very nicely designed 

Coincidentally, we’re on Viking now, too. And I’m doing the laundry right now! 😁

Bummer about the Noro. I saw that one ship offered free laundry from the ship’s service, b/c they closed the self service ones due to Noro. Was that offered to you?

14 hours ago, Ethereal Cruiser said:

I will note for the record, that the three newer Regent ships have a better passenger to laundry room ratio!

But do all those laundry rooms have the same number of washers and dryers? And irons and ironing boards? And a couch (well, a love seat) to sit on while waiting?

35 minutes ago, May B said:

I saw that one ship offered free laundry from the ship’s service, b/c they closed the self service ones due to Noro. Was that offered to you?

Yes - but as they’ve now reopened things like the pools and declared the Noro outbreak over the free laundry offer has ended and the self service laundries are operating again 

38 minutes ago, May B said:

But do all those laundry rooms have the same number of washers and dryers? And irons and ironing boards? And a couch (well, a love seat) to sit on while waiting?

Who really cares? - I’ve never visited the laundry rooms on Regent as they include free laundry as part of their standard fare 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Who really cares? - I’ve never visited the laundry rooms on Regent as they include free laundry as part of their standard fare 

Shouldn't that be, "I don't care"? Obviously Muriel cares as she asked the question.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Shouldn't that be, "I don't care"? Obviously Muriel cares as she asked the question.

No it’s meant as an open question about the laundry rooms on Regent - who does care? So do you care? 

Edited by Stickman1990

49 minutes ago, geebee1005 said:

Prior to the "new Crystal", I have never found doing laundry ourselves a problem.  You just need to strategize the best days and times to do it.  And now with significantly fewer guests, it will be even easier. 

With laundry included no need to strategize. Or run to make sure someone else doesn’t take yourstuff out of washer or dryer. You can be at the pool, a lecture, playing bridge or off the ship. No one said doing laundry was a problem. It’s just way better when you can do other enjoyable things instead 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, geebee1005 said:

Prior to the "new Crystal", I have never found doing laundry ourselves a problem.  You just need to strategize the best days and times to do it.  And now with significantly fewer guests, it will be even easier. 

So true.

Back before I used to to do the laundry we would think through best times/days which still was no big deal.  But that was even before the other couple of passenger count reductions excluding the newest one.

Today it's easy/peasy for me.

With fewer guest it become even easier.

I have always been thankful for the laundry rooms on board all the Crystal vessels and that even included former Mozart and Endeavor.  

The only other ship I can remember where we could do the wash was on the Grand Princess. When I say we could I am taking about practicality of doing it. On QM2 I looked for the room and it was hard to find and I believe I had to go down a few decks and it there were far fewer machines so we said forget it.  On SS where we sailed Shadow and Spirit I think the rooms were tiny closets with tiny machines so we said forget it. And we did Seabourn but on the triplets which don't exist anymore as they are part of Windstar and too tiny again so we said forget it.

My experience is every cruise line has some amenities or attributes more unique to them. So I never say to myself well x line has this why don't you.  It is what it is.  They all choose to spend money in various ways.

We are so fortunate to be able to sail on luxury lines and we pinch ourselves each time we sail.  So we are happy to do the laundry.  It sure beats the days of Spartacus when they had to be the engine for the ship.  

Keith

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Wow. I never would have expected three pages of comments about...laundry! Y'all sure do like to bicker. LOL! 

My personal perspective: I don't want to do my own laundry when I'm on a cruise. I want to spend what limited time I have on the ship, enjoying the ship. When I'm on a cruise it feels like I'm in a different world - one in which I never have to cook or do dishes, I eat gourmet food at every meal, see wonderful entertainment and/or live music every night, meet new people from around the world, see something amazing every day, and get pampered like royalty by people who greet me by name. Doing laundry makes all that grind to a screeching halt and I suddenly feel like a regular ol' mortal again. 😉I don't WANT to feel like a regular mortal until I disembark!

I'm happy to pay for sending my laundry out, although it's nice when I don't have to. I'm NOT staying in the high-end suites. I'm soon going on the PG, and as a former PG cruiser I get my laundry for free, which is not a selling point (I'd do the cruise anyway) but it sure does make me happy.

There, now you got one more perspective on laundry. 😁

• Like 9

I see Regent's included laundry service has suddenly become a major selling point to some on this board.  I've spent a lot of time on the Regent board while Crystal was on "hiatus."  Here's a little context: Regent only extended that perk to all cruisers within the last year or two(previously it was dependent on your nights aboard Regent status.)  And some Regent cruisers complained that that perk extension diminished the value of their cherished status!  Some cruisers, man,  if they stop complaining, check for a pulse. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I really don't think of it as a "selling point"

I would not cruise a line just because laundry is included - or if there were clergy on board or whatever (duplicate bridge yes)

It is just one of many factors -- and it is a wonderful convenience IMO

Edited by bitob
  • Like 2

As someone else said - did anyone imagine that we'd have 3 and maybe more pages devoted to laundry ?  maybe we need a thread about whether there will be toothpicks available at all dinning facilities. 😄

• Haha 3

I am waiting for someone to ask can their butler just do the laundry for them?  I am sure someone has already thought about this.  

I will be happy to do your laundry though.  It will be like college.  Put all the clothes in the laundry together regardless of white or colors and see what comes out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

39 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

I am waiting for someone to ask can their butler just do the laundry for them?  I am sure someone has already thought about this.  

I will be happy to do your laundry though.  It will be like college.  Put all the clothes in the laundry together regardless of white or colors and see what comes out.

This reminds me of when I was first married (nearly 40 years ago). I *accidentally* washed my husband's favorite white button-down shirt in with the colors. Of COURSE it came out pink. He looked at it, but didn't say a word. By the next day I noticed he had put a brand new clothes hamper in his closet, and was putting his dirty clothes in there. 

He's been doing his own laundry ever since.

I'll leave it to you to decide whether it really was *accidental*. 😝

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, ctjon said:

As someone else said - did anyone imagine that we'd have 3 and maybe more pages devoted to laundry ?  maybe we need a thread about whether there will be toothpicks available at all dinning facilities. 😄

I'm not sure toothpicks will take off, but I've got a dead bang certain fire starter for you: paper straws. 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Leejnd4 said:

This reminds me of when I was first married (nearly 40 years ago). I *accidentally* washed my husband's favorite white button-down shirt in with the colors. Of COURSE it came out pink. He looked at it, but didn't say a word. By the next day I noticed he had put a brand new clothes hamper in his closet, and was putting his dirty clothes in there. 

He's been doing his own laundry ever since.

I'll leave it to you to decide whether it really was *accidental*. 😝

Yes sometimes if you don't want to do a job just mess it up.  

I used to say at home where is the kitchen, or the laundry room or how do you turn the oven on? This got me out of certain things at least when I worked outside the home, 

On a serious note, we were on a cruise line years ago that had no self service guest laundry. We sent out two of Anne Marie's tops; one red and one white.  The red one came back from the ships laundry pink and the white one shrunk.  This is an example of why we don't send wash out. Things happen.  On lines such as Cunard, SS and Seabourn when we sailed each one we brought enough clothes so we didn't have to deal with doing the wash and for my workout shirts they can be cleaned in the bathtub if necessary as they do not require a dryer afterwards.

There is a saying that some like to make a mountain out of a mole hill and some of the complaining on this thread proves that point.  Travel teaches us how good most of us have it.  Most  people who I know do not complain about doing their laundry themselves on the ship. I only met one couple in all of our cruises who complained and this was years ago because he told me on Regent their wash is done.  I asked him on Regent did you have all of this enrichment that I know you love? He said no.  I said well Crystal could offset the additional costs for doing guest washes by having less enrichment and selling those rooms.  I asked which did he vote for.  The answer was simple. He said keep the enrichment as it is.

I heard a lot more complaints about pillow chocolates when the were no longer provided I ever have about the laundry.  At the same time some things that people on the board think are a big deal are just not something I hear about when we sail.  

Keith 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1