I thought I wouldn't miss 2x a day room cleaning... I was wrong.

11 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

Hotels never had twice a day room service.  There are some swanky, expensive places that provide turndown in the evening.  Those are the exception, not the norm.

But hotels HAVE cut down from daily service to every 'x' days.  The hotel rates haven't gone down.  So, cutting service, and not cutting prices. 

3 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

That certainly does explain a lot.  

Please explain.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

But hotels HAVE cut down from daily service to every 'x' days.  The hotel rates haven't gone down.  So, cutting service, and not cutting prices. 

You mean to tell me you can't figure that out why that is?  BTW, I can't remember ever staying in a hotel more than one or two days.

15 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Please explain.  

Doesn't need any explanation.  Do the math.

19 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

You mean to tell me you can't figure that out why that is?  BTW, I can't remember ever staying in a hotel more than one or two days.

What are you talking about now?  I'm comparing people's complaints about cruise lines cutting service and increasing costs with hotels cutting service and not decreasing (not sure if they've increased or not) costs.  

I stay in hotels 5-6 nights for business trips.

19 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

Doesn't need any explanation.  Do the math.

Because I stay in hotel rooms by myself that invalidates the point that hotels have cut room cleanings? 

Cruise prices have gone up. Suggested gratuities have also gone up. 

Cabin service cut from twice a day to once a day. Many other cutbacks have been reported.

We are all paying more and getting less for many different goods and services these days.

It's your money and vacation time, if cruising is still worth it to you, continue cruising and enjoy! I will.

Edited by Vibe
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Vibe said:

It's your money and vacation time, if cruising is still worth it to you, continue cruising and enjoy! I will.

I think everyone who's upset about the once-a-day service, and other cost cutting measures, should find another cruise line. Seriously, do it. Maybe the ships will be less crowded for those of us who couldn't care less.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

I think everyone who's upset about the once-a-day service, and other cost cutting measures, should find another cruise line. Seriously, do it. Maybe the ships will be less crowded for those of us who couldn't care less.

The other cruise lines will probably change to once-a-day cleaning too.

Guest wenkap
17 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

Stay mad bro. 🙃

4 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

What are you talking about now?  I'm comparing people's complaints about cruise lines cutting service and increasing costs with hotels cutting service and not decreasing (not sure if they've increased or not) costs.  

I stay in hotels 5-6 nights for business trips.

Because I stay in hotel rooms by myself that invalidates the point that hotels have cut room cleanings? 

Hotels are cutting services BECAUSE THEY CAN.  They just blamed covid, and then when covid is over, it now becomes the norm.    It's people who put up with it is the reason they get away with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

It's people who put up with it is the reason they get away with it.

So, it's our fault.  What do you suggest we do about it?

• Like 1

I Don’t care about the reduced service per se (but it does lessen the experience for those that have been used to 2x in the past), however their timing was phenomenally stupid. They INCREASED the gratuity amount by a significant amount around the same time they REDUCED the level of service that gratuity was going towards. I point this out to the hotel director on each cruise now. Yes I do complain about it, but no I don’t adjust the gratuity amount because I know where the money goes and it is what it is, but still. The optics and implementation are 10x worse than something Carnival would do.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2023 at 2:31 PM, molly361 said:

Just the opposite for me.  Just off a 4 day cruise and I only had service one time on day 2.  My choice.  I am solo and certainly never needed twice a day and just found out that I don't really need it every day.  I was going to ask for new towels but never did.  I did see my cabin steward quite a bit and chatted in the hall but I don't need to be his/her bestie.  If I don't see them that's ok with me  I think I might do this from now on.  I like it

Kinda makes me wonder how many of the complainers about not having 2 or 3 towels a day even change 1 towel a day at home.  I am betting none of them change their towel even every other day at home, much less several towels each day.  I realize on a cruise you are not at home, but extra towels is not a reason for me to go on a cruise.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 3:54 PM, GJustice said:

Pretty sure you can ask for, and get, Ice twice a day. They're cutting back on the 2X FULL service visits, NOT abandoning us entirely. You'll never get anything you want without asking 🙂 

We chose evening, since we're always out from a bit before dinner, through dinner, and usually something after dinner, so there's plenty of time for them to do their thing while we're out. Breakfast doesn't (usually) take long enough since we usually come back to the room to take morning meds, etc and they seem to always want to come while we're there.

Roll with it. It's a VACATION 🙂

Do you get 2X Daily "maid" service at home? I sure don't.

12 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

Hotels are cutting services BECAUSE THEY CAN.  They just blamed covid, and then when covid is over, it now becomes the norm.    It's people who put up with it is the reason they get away with it.

And the difference between hotels and cruise lines is... ????  

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

And the difference between hotels and cruise lines is... ????  

Night & day.   Like I said, I don't stay in hotels for more than a day or two.  I'm sorry that you do and have to put up with lousy service for 5-6 days at a time.

We will be in a JS on the next three sailings.  They have raised grats and cut back on services.  Once we go back to a regular stateroom on a future cruise with once a day service, I'll really have to think twice about filling up the "Tip Tip Horray" envelope.

55 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

Night & day.   Like I said, I don't stay in hotels for more than a day or two.  I'm sorry that you do and have to put up with lousy service for 5-6 days at a time.

Personally I don't consider it "lousy service". 

55 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

We will be in a JS on the next three sailings.  They have raised grats and cut back on services.  Once we go back to a regular stateroom on a future cruise with once a day service, I'll really have to think twice about filling up the "Tip Tip Horray" envelope.

Yea, THAT will show Royal how upset you are!  Book more cruises!

2 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

Have your grocery prices or clothing prices or electricity prices gone up in the last 3 years? Does your hotel room cost more? Do you get less for more cost? Why should the cruise industry be any different. 

38 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Have your grocery prices or clothing prices or electricity prices gone up in the last 3 years? Does your hotel room cost more? Do you get less for more cost? Why should the cruise industry be any different. 

People who haven't been cruising for a long time don't realize how little the cost of cruising has gone up over the years compared to other things.  To keep prices more affordable, they've cut other ways.  Just ask anyone on here who cruised 30 years ago how much it cost to go on what is now considered a very small ship with a lot less amenities (no slides, one pool, less entertainment).  Of course, cruising used to be an elegant vacation where people dressed up, enjoyed a show, ate multiple course meals and was less about being constantly active.  Cabins were also very different.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/13/2023 at 9:25 AM, Wineaux007 said:

it's a big cut back right after they raised gratuities

I think this right is the rub... Had they not raised the rate some might not be as upset.  As it stands you get charge more for less.  The timing was no good.

• Like 2

For those who are happy with one-a-day service, thats great. To me the issue is, when it was twice a day, all of those who only wanted one a day could still get it ! Now that it’s once a day, those of us who appreciated twice a day service are SOL. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

For those who are happy with one-a-day service, thats great. To me the issue is, when it was twice a day, all of those who only wanted one a day could still get it ! Now that it’s once a day, those of us who appreciated twice a day service are SOL. 

mac_tlc

Every cutback affects people differently. No chocolate or midnight buffet? No welcome onboard drink? No towel animals, no chocolate on pillows? They will cut and cut, and raise prices, to get back in the black. Once something is cut, it doesn’t come back, and other lines do the same.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Every cutback affects people differently. No chocolate or midnight buffet? No welcome onboard drink? No towel animals, no chocolate on pillows? They will cut and cut, and raise prices, to get back in the black. Once something is cut, it doesn’t come back, and other lines do the same.

Btw there may also be a visa problem.  Getting employees US visas can be a problem.   I know there was during covid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Personally I don't consider it "lousy service". 

Yea, THAT will show Royal how upset you are!  Book more cruises!

Maybe I won't, but if I do, they will certainly get an earful all the way up the chain.