I thought I wouldn't miss 2x a day room cleaning... I was wrong.

54 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

Question: The ones that you say have said that they "prefer this system", do they know that you removed their auto gratuities?

Yes, 100% 

People in tipped positions (if they are hard workers) prefer a traditional cash based system. It gives them more control and opportunity to do more to earn more. 
One of the major reasons the tipping culture in the USA has not been done away with is because most people in those systems prefer it, the opportunity and potential for higher earnings is real. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Carnival Cheerleader said:

I have sailed on Royal, Carnival, and MSC a total of 9 times since the restart and other than on Carnival, I have still received TWICE A DAY cleaning of my cabin. I know what I am paying for and it's TWICE A DAY service.

If that's what it takes, then YES. Don't like it, too bad.

So far carnival, Royal and NCL have raised gratuities and eliminated twice a day service. I suspect the others will follow.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Carnival Cheerleader said:

I have sailed on Royal, Carnival, and MSC a total of 9 times since the restart and other than on Carnival, I have still received TWICE A DAY cleaning of my cabin. I know what I am paying for and it's TWICE A DAY service.

If that's what it takes, then YES. Don't like it, too bad.

The gratuities pay for the service they provide and if they say that service is once a day, that is what your are paying for. I don’t know where you get the idea you can decide what service they should provide just because they previously did it. You know before you go what they provide and what they expect in gratuities so if you don’t like it, don’t go. Just don’t stiff the people providing you with a service, which by the way is at least 95% of what it was before. No way is it half or your side of the bed would not be made.

11 minutes ago, Carnival Cheerleader said:

That's very possible. On MSC this past January, I still received excellent twice a day service. On the Carnival cruises, I went to Guest Services and removed approximately $4 per day (half of the cabin steward portion of the daily gratuities), per person, which I felt was fair since I was only receiving half of the service. All other aspects of the gratuities were left alone. I have yet to not receive twice a day service on any of my Royal cruises since the restart. My last Royal cruise was this past February on the Jewel where I received excellent twice a day service. When I go on my next Royal cruise in October (on the Mariner this time), if they have truly gone to once a day service, I will adjust my gratuities as I have on Carnival to equal the service received. As some have told me, it's an all or nothing situation on Royal and if that is the case, then I will remove my gratuities and leave my wife's in place since they provide with no alternative. I figure at some point in time, these companies will wake up and see this is not the way to run the company or I'll be dead and replaced by someone who doesn't know any better.

You really believe these companies are relying that heavily on your halved gratuities to make their business decisions. Most of us don’t need that much attention. We know how to throw trash in the basket and hang up a towel. Some people are just needy I guess.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carnival Cheerleader said:

See, I know what is expected and I pay accordingly for it. What I don't get is how you think what I do with my gratuities is any of your business? If Royal says cruisers can no longer modify their gratuities while on board, then I'll make the decision on whether to continue sailing with Royal at that time. Your beliefs have zero input in that decision.

You can EXPECT there to be just as much cereal in a box as there was three years ago too but there isn’t. The box is the same size and the price went up. You don’t get to choose what they provide. Unfortunately we do get to adjust our tips but fully charged gratuities pay for once a day service. You can’t change that. 

It became everyone’s business when you posted here. That’s what this forum is about. I don’t expect my beliefs to have any influence on you because you are right!!! End of story!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

You can EXPECT there to be just as much cereal in a box as there was three years ago too but there isn’t. The box is the same size and the price went up. You don’t get to choose what they provide. Unfortunately we do get to adjust our tips but fully charged gratuities pay for once a day service. You can’t change that. 

It became everyone’s business when you posted here. That’s what this forum is about. I don’t expect my beliefs to have any influence on you because you are right!!! End of story!

Just get 2 boxes of cereal.

11 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

You really believe these companies are relying that heavily on your halved gratuities to make their business decisions. Most of us don’t need that much attention. We know how to throw trash in the basket and hang up a towel. Some people are just needy I guess.

It's amazing to me how many people NEED towels replaced multiple times a day. Do people change towels after every shower at home? I know, I know- "I'm no at home...I'm on vacation"...didn't realize being on vacation meant you get to be extra wasteful and needy.  I don't WANT people in my room multiple times a day- come in, make my bed, empty my trash and see ya tomorrow! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

It's amazing to me how many people NEED towels replaced multiple times a day. Do people change towels after every shower at home? I know, I know- "I'm no at home...I'm on vacation"...didn't realize being on vacation meant you get to be extra wasteful and needy.  I don't WANT people in my room multiple times a day- come in, make my bed, empty my trash and see ya tomorrow! 

Oh, here we go again. Yes - I use a fresh towel every. single. time.  Yes, I use a fresh towel every single time at home.  This will really chap your cheeks - I use another one on my hair!  And don't start again with me about being wasteful - I do my own laundry and pay my own bills.  Remember to ride your bicycle to the port before you jump on my "wastefulness". 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kiki and The Noush said:

Oh, here we go again. Yes - I use a fresh towel every. single. time.  Yes, I use a fresh towel every single time at home.  This will really chap your cheeks - I use another one on my hair!  And don't start again with me about being wasteful - I do my own laundry and pay my own bills.  Remember to ride your bicycle to the port before you jump on my "wastefulness". 

i am with you. although i might reuse a towel once or twice at home, i am also able to completely dry it with the space i dont have in a tiny room. using a wet towel is gross. 

i too miss the twice a day service AND i use one for my hair also🤪

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Carnival Cheerleader said:

That's very possible. On MSC this past January, I still received excellent twice a day service. On the Carnival cruises, I went to Guest Services and removed approximately $4 per day (half of the cabin steward portion of the daily gratuities), per person, which I felt was fair since I was only receiving half of the service. All other aspects of the gratuities were left alone. I have yet to not receive twice a day service on any of my Royal cruises since the restart. My last Royal cruise was this past February on the Jewel where I received excellent twice a day service. When I go on my next Royal cruise in October (on the Mariner this time), if they have truly gone to once a day service, I will adjust my gratuities as I have on Carnival to equal the service received. As some have told me, it's an all or nothing situation on Royal and if that is the case, then I will remove my gratuities and leave my wife's in place since they provide me with no alternative. I figure at some point in time, these companies will wake up and see this is not the way to run the company or I'll be dead and replaced by someone who doesn't know any better.

If I was betting, I’d bet on you being dead.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

It's kinda nasty to try to dry off using a wet towel.

I have a nice long towel rack at home, so my towel dries between showers. I also rarely shower more then once a day at home, so it's even more likely that my towel will be dry by the next day.

On a cruise there is just a hook, so the towel is all bunched up and doesn't dry as well.  There will also be days where I shower more then one a day, if I end up going to the beach.

It's also annoying for the 3rd/4th bunks/sofabed to be left open the entire cruise, depending on the room layout. It works better on some ships compared to others

• Like 2

On 7/3/2023 at 3:53 PM, laura85 said:

I’m not super chatty with room attendants, and honestly rarely even run in to them after the first day. Our next cruise will have my husband and I plus 5 year old daughter in one balcony room. My main concern is just that the sofa will be stuck as a bed all week? 

It will. The once a day cleaning isn't a huge issue if there are only two people in a cabin but you add a third or even a fourth and it turns into a disaster real quick. The couch being pulled out all the time really limits the space you have to move around and never mind the giant pile of towels left on the floor after everyone showers. When there are 3 of us in a room (my self, my hubs, and my teen) between empty water bottles, soda cans, and papers (receipts, handouts around the ship, door mail, etc) our trash can is overflowing daily. I also get stuck making the bed daily if I want to take a nap because I roll around so much while I sleep and yank the sheets off. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, karl_nj said:

On a cruise there is just a hook, so the towel is all bunched up and doesn't dry as well.  There will also be days where I shower more then one a day, if I end up going to the beach.

⬆️ EXACTLY!

Edited by Falling_down
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2023 at 5:18 PM, nanseev said:

Totally agree!  I didn’t think I was going to miss it, and I do!  I wish I could opt for 2x per day for an extra $$ per cabin.  

I completely agree, but word of warning, don’t post that on the other social media site ran by Mr. Z… I said that, and got ripped apart by people.  Apparently I’m an elitist slob who likes to be treated better than others 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm always amused by the "you don't need twice a day service" crowd.

I don't need a rock climbing wall.  But it's part of the experience, and I enjoy it.

I don't need a swimming pool.  But it's part of the experience, and I enjoy it.

I don't need production shows.  But it's part of the experience, and I enjoy it.

I don't need music around the ship.  But it's part of the experience, and I enjoy it.

I don't need lots of selections at the buffet.  But it's part of the experience, and I enjoy it.

I don't need a sports court.  But it's part of the experience, and I enjoy it.

I don't need ping-pong tables.  But it's part of the experience, and I enjoy it.

I don't need a hot tub.  But it's part of the experience, and I enjoy it.

I don't need twice a day service.  But it's part of the experience, and I enjoy it.  Or at least I used to.

• Like 7

On 8/10/2023 at 10:13 AM, not-enough-cruising said:

Yes, 100% 

People in tipped positions (if they are hard workers) prefer a traditional cash based system. It gives them more control and opportunity to do more to earn more. 
One of the major reasons the tipping culture in the USA has not been done away with is because most people in those systems prefer it, the opportunity and potential for higher earnings is real. 

They prefer it because they are only paid $2 an hour.

I presume it varies but my sister waited tables at a chain restaurant that required her to put 8% of her sales into the tip pool regardless of how much she received in tips. She got to keep whatever was left. If guests shorted her on the tips then it came out of her pocket. And there was this game where if she passed some of her cash tips to the seater or bus boy then they would give her tables preference. It was ugly especially when foreign guests who are not used to tipping would run up big checks and leave paltry (or no) tips.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pratique said:

They prefer it because they are only paid $2 an hour.

I presume it varies but my sister waited tables at a chain restaurant that required her to put 8% of her sales into the tip pool regardless of how much she received in tips. She got to keep whatever was left. If guests shorted her on the tips then it came out of her pocket. And there was this game where if she passed some of her cash tips to the seater or bus boy then they would give her tables preference. It was ugly especially when foreign guests who are not used to tipping would run up big checks and leave paltry (or no) tips.

I understand what you’re saying, however, it kind of misses the point of my post.

People would rather be tipped in cash as a reward for the work that they do rather than have a pre-determined amount of money charged to the customer and that’s all they get regardless of the amount of work that they do.

4 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I understand what you’re saying, however, it kind of misses the point of my post.

People would rather be tipped in cash as a reward for the work that they do rather than have a pre-determined amount of money charged to the customer and that’s all they get regardless of the amount of work that they do.

I would like that too but the world doesn't work that way. Imagine if auto mechanics were tipped positions and the customer got to decide how much they got paid. They would be shorted all the time. There is also a disparity in how the service industry compensates the tipped workers who are the ones generating revenue for the business but the business does not reward them for their hard work and instead relies on the customer to do it. No wonder turnover is so high.

Recently there is growing backlash to tipping culture. People are getting tired of being asked to tip up to 50% for things that were not tipped in the past, like take-out meals. We were just at an Angels game last month in a suite. The server presented us with a tablet to add a tip and it had an option for 120% (presented as a dollar amount not a percentage) which my mother mistakenly hit and it could not be undone, she had to dispute it with the credit card company. It's getting out of control IMHO.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2023 at 4:55 AM, Scottdalfonso said:

Remember "Save the Waves"?  Apparently some have completely forgotten.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

I'm always amused by the "you don't need twice a day service" crowd.

I've said this before but I believe there are many things Royal could eliminate and there would be folks here rationalizing how it is a good thing. Apparently once a day housekeeping is the best thing since sliced bread but the idea of up-charging for pizza is way over the line. So maybe I was wrong.

• Like 1

We don't feel we need to have our attendant service us twice a day. We received extra towels when requested and were out of the room all day anyway. For those who feel cheated I am sorry, I feel we are still receiving a great deal. At home, do you clean more then once a day? Do you receive fresh towels (that you  don't have to wash), when you go to a hotel/motel do you get service every day let alone twice a day. We never like change, we were spoiled, so now we much adjust and be happy for the great service we receive. Change is never fun, and we have all had to deal with it in many different things. Don't let it ruin your cruise for even a moment.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, April45 said:

At home, do you clean more then once a day?

At home I am not living in a cabin smaller than my bedroom for a week(s) at a time, nor paying $300-$400 a day to do so. I have somewhere to empty my trash can and a recycle bin in the garage. I have full sized sinks and dishwashers for dishes and cups. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, April45 said:

We received extra towels when requested and were out of the room all day anyway.

I am glad you were able to get them. TWICE in the last two months when I have asked for extra towels to accommodate the extra showers we take from being at the beach, they did not provide them. I was never given a reason why they couldn't bring them, they just didn't even when asked on more than a few occasions. 💁‍♀️

I don't know about you but I don't pay a $1000 or more per week at home to dry my derrière off with a wash cloth because that's all that's available after my husband and kids have showered. 🤪

• Like 2