London Hotels

5 hours ago, Island2Dweller said:

Stay in central London.  Look for any hotel that is near an Elizabeth line station (the new railway that runs from Heathrow right through central London)

Can you recommend something?  Since it’s for one night, just something comfortable and clean but budget friendly. I have no idea what prices are there, but in the $150-300 range would be preferred. 

5 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

Or stay at Paddington, book an advance purchase ticket for £5-50 and enjoy a cheaper, quicker and more comfortable journey on the Heathrow Express.  

Same question as above. 

Also, I have yet to research London at all so I don’t know the difference between the Elizabeth line station and the Heathrow Express.  

Just did a quick search on the HE and the Paddington area. We would definitely need an elevator and A/C. How would we get to the main attractions (Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, etc.) from here?

How much more difficult is it to get to LHR if we stay near closer to the sites we would like to see?

55 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

How would we get to the main attractions (Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, etc.) from here?

How much more difficult is it to get to LHR if we stay near closer to the sites we would like to see?

Tube or bus, typically.

From Paddington, the Bakerloo Line would take you directly to Piccadilly Circus, Charing Cross and Embankment, which are easy walks to those three places; and it's one change to get to Westminster (change at Baker Street for the Jubilee Line).

If you want to be closer to those three places, then pick somewhere close to a District Line station. The journey to LHR by Tube is then pretty easy - just one cross-platform change at Barons Court from the District Line to the Piccadilly Line, involving a walk of about 10 feet. The only warning is that many District Line stations are not step-free (they don't have either lifts or escalators) so you would have to carry your luggage up or down some stairs. But the District Line is a sub-surface line so it's not a long way below street level.

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Also, I have yet to research London at all so I don’t know the difference between the Elizabeth line station and the Heathrow Express.  

Heathrow Express is a company that runs trains between Heathrow and London Paddington. They start at Heathrow Terminal 5 and then call at Heathrow Central, from which they are non-stop to Paddington (at the mainline station's street level platforms).

The Elizabeth Line is part of Transport for London's rail network, and runs limited-stop east-west trains through central London. Some of these trains start at Heathrow - there are trains from both Terminal 4 and Terminal 5, which all then call at Heathrow Central before continuing on to other stations en route to Paddington (at the Elizabeth Line's below-ground station) and then through central London.

You can change between Heathrow Express and Elizabeth Line trains at Heathrow Central.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

Which station? Those two hotels are in very different parts of London. 

Yes but I am going to use the train to go to places. I just need one of them to sleep. I just want to know if the stations have an elevator or escalator. The Hampton Inn Waterloo has the Waterloo Station and the Hilton Metropole  has the Hyde Park and Paddington stations. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Viajera7 said:

I just want to know if the stations have an elevator or escalator. The Hampton Inn Waterloo has the Waterloo Station and the Hilton Metropole  has the Hyde Park and Paddington stations. Thanks.

The TfL step-free guide will tell you about this.

At Waterloo, the Jubilee Line has lifts and escalators to street level, but the Bakerloo Line and the Northern Line do not. The hotel is about a ¼-mile walk from the Jubilee Line entrance.

Paddington is more complex because there are more lines, and some are easier to access than others. But in any event, the Tube stations are ¾ of a mile or so from the Metropole.

There is no Hyde Park station. The other stations close to the Metropole are the two Edgware Road stations, one for the Bakerloo Line and the other for the Circle, District, and Hammersmith & City lines. I believe that neither station has step-free access to the street.

The other thing you need to know is that Waterloo is close to many tourist sites and entertainment areas. Paddington is not.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

The TfL step-free guide will tell you about this.

At Waterloo, the Jubilee Line has lifts and escalators to street level, but the Bakerloo Line and the Northern Line do not. The hotel is about a ¼-mile walk from the Jubilee Line entrance.

Paddington is more complex because there are more lines, and some are easier to access than others.

There is no Hyde Park station. The other stations close to the Metropole are the two Edgware Road stations, one for the Bakerloo Line and the other for the Circle, District, and Hammersmith & City lines. I believe that neither station has step-free access to the street.

The other thing you need to know is that Waterloo is close to many tourist sites and entertainment areas. Paddington is not.

Thanks for the information! The Metropole’s website mentions Hyde Park but is it just the park and not the Hyde Park Corner Station.

We're located in central London, less than a mile from Hyde Park and Paddington Station, with 15-minute access to Heathrow Airport LHR via the Heathrow Express.

I read on the Hampton Waterloo hotel website that they are close to some of the places that I want to visit but as a Hilton Honors member I would get more perks on the Metropole lounge.

Knowing that the Waterloo station has lifts and elevators, tips the balance towards the Waterloo hotel.

What I need to know now is how to make a transfer from the Piccadilly line from Heathrow to the Jubilee line.

12 hours ago, Viajera7 said:

The Metropole’s website mentions Hyde Park but is it just the park and not the Hyde Park Corner Station.

As I read that, it must be a reference to the park itself, not to Hyde Park Corner station, which is so far away from the hotel as to be irrelevant for getting there.

12 hours ago, Viajera7 said:

Knowing that the Waterloo station has lifts and elevators, tips the balance towards the Waterloo hotel.

What I need to know now is how to make a transfer from the Piccadilly line from Heathrow to the Jubilee line.

11 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

Change to the Jubilee line at Green Park 

That would be the official route, and involves only one change. But the signposted route to change from the Piccadilly Line to the Jubilee Line at Green Park is not very convenient. The lifts at both ends of the change are slow and unreliable, and there is a long walk between them.

A locals' hack is to ignore the signposted route. Instead, follow the Way Out signs up the escalator to ticket hall level. When you get there, do not exit through the barriers, but take the escalator down to the next line you want (ie the Jubilee Line in your case - there are actually two escalators in succession down to the platform). However, you need to be able to manage your luggage safely on escalators, which is a bit of a learned skill.

What I do is actually to change twice: once at Barons Court, which is a very easy cross-platform change to the District Line; then change again at Westminster to the Jubilee Line, which is an easier change (offering both lifts and escalators).

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Globaliser said:

That would be the official route, and involves only one change. But the signposted route to change from the Piccadilly Line to the Jubilee Line at Green Park is not very convenient. The lifts at both ends of the change are slow and unreliable, and there is a long walk between them.

A locals' hack is to ignore the signposted route. Instead, follow the Way Out signs up the escalator to ticket hall level. When you get there, do not exit through the barriers, but take the escalator down to the next line you want (ie the Jubilee Line in your case - there are actually two escalators in succession down to the platform). However, you need to be able to manage your luggage safely on escalators, which is a bit of a learned skill.

What I do is actually to change twice: once at Barons Court, which is a very easy cross-platform change to the District Line; then change again at Westminster to the Jubilee Line, which is an easier change (offering both lifts and escalators).

Thanks for the hack. What I’ll do is to show the 2 options to my room mate and then we’ll decide which one will work best for us. 

On 7/25/2023 at 6:23 AM, Globaliser said:

Lol. That is epic level, Geoff Marshall navigation 

On 7/23/2023 at 6:11 PM, Viajera7 said:

I need to decide between these two hotels: Hampton Inn by Hilton London Waterloo
Hilton London Metropole. The difference in price between them is less than $10 for the dates that I am looking for.

What I need to know is if the train station has an elevator and not just stairs so it would be easier for us to carry our suitcases.

We recently stayed at the Hampton Inn Waterloo.  We found it was clean, comfortable, good breakfast and nice location.  Only a couple blocks to Waterloo station.  There is an elevator/lift to the train platforms.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Denali2003 said:

Has anyone ever stayed at Eccleston Square Hotel?  We are considering this hotel.

I looked at that for our stay a couple of weeks ago but decided against it because they don't offer any in house food service and it doesn't appear that they have 24 hr front desk staff. We were arriving early in the morning and needed to leave our bags with the hotel until our room was ready. We stayed nearby at the Clermont Victoria instead. We had a king bed and breakfast for £238. I price matched with Priceline to get that rate. It is a very nice hotel  on Buckingham Palace Road and I would stay there again.

The Eccleston has food:  

Eccleston Square Hotel offers an extensive bar menu and a selection of breakfast dishes.

Breakfast Opening Hours:

Monday-Friday: 7.00am – 10.30am

Saturday-Sunday: 7.00am – 11.ooam

Bar Food & Room-service Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday: 11am to 2pm and 6pm to 10.30pm/ Friday, Saturday & Sunday: 11am-10.30pm

Only available to hotel guests

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2023 at 1:35 PM, SharkieRools said:

Anyone have feedback on the Park Plaza Waterloo?

Great location! We could see the Elizabeth Tower/Big Ben from our room. It was too dark-themed for me (black walls in our room), but other than that was OK.

• Like 1

I am looking at Hotel RUI Plaza which states they are a new hotel "in the heart of London".

Does anyone have any information (good or not-so-good!) they can share about the hotel and it's actual location? 

My daughter is also considering Hilton Paddington since her husband has Hilton points!  Any info you can share on that hotel ad area?

Thanks in advance!  

1 hour ago, Vicki'sMom said:

I am looking at Hotel RUI Plaza which states they are a new hotel "in the heart of London".

Does anyone have any information (good or not-so-good!) they can share about the hotel and it's actual location?

Do you mean the Riu Plaza London Victoria? It's next to Victoria station, so it's easily walkable to the sights at that end of town, eg Buckingham Palace (½ mile) and Westminster Abbey/Parliament (1 mile).

1 hour ago, Vicki'sMom said:

My daughter is also considering Hilton Paddington since her husband has Hilton points!  Any info you can share on that hotel ad area?

I think that's the hotel that's basically part of Paddington station, but Paddington isn't really central London.

17 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

Do you mean the Riu Plaza London Victoria? It's next to Victoria station, so it's easily walkable to the sights at that end of town, eg Buckingham Palace (½ mile) and Westminster Abbey/Parliament (1 mile).

I think that's the hotel that's basically part of Paddington station, but Paddington isn't really central London.

Yes!  I believe that is the Riu hotel I have considered booking.  Sounds like a good location, correct?

I don't think my daughter and son-in-law are too concerned with their hotel's location needing to be "central", but for my stay - I would like to be central!  

😊

Edited by Vicki'sMom

• 1 month later...