London Hotels

Our upcoming cruise ends in South Hampton.  We're looking at spending 4 or 5 days in London following the cruise.  We've never been there and its always been high on our bucket list.  Do any of you have recommendations for a good hotel?  We want something nice but don't need fancy or high end.  We're looking for something reasonably priced that has good access to sites of interest and public transportation.

There many threads here on hotels. The sights of London are spread over a large area, but the subway ("Tube") is very good. 

"Reasonable " is a very vague term...meaning different things to different people.  But we enjoyed the Conrad St James, and it is close to a number of sites.

It really depends on budget and where you want to be based. We like the St James Trafalgar Square which is very central and decent sized rooms for central London.

the Doubletree Hilton Tower of London is also a decent choice.

I enjoy staying at Premier Inn Waterloo (Westminster Bridge).  Hotel has A/C, elevator, a bar, restaurant, close to London Eye, Thamas river, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Parliament, Waterloo train station, 2 tube stations, Hop On Hop Off, regular bus, stores, restaurants, pubs, grocery store.

www.premierinn.com

• Like 4

We also stayed at the Premier Inn Waterloo and thought it was reasonable in price, close to many attractions, modern & clean.  The only thing I would suggest is to bring a loofah for showering, as unbeknownst to us, European "budget" hotels don't provide washcloths!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, SueMo said:

We also stayed at the Premier Inn Waterloo and thought it was reasonable in price, close to many attractions, modern & clean.  The only thing I would suggest is to bring a loofah for showering, as unbeknownst to us, European "budget" hotels don't provide washcloths!

Most European hotels don’t provide washcloths; I believe Europeans don’t consider them hygienic. 

We have stayed many times at the JW Marriott Grosvenor House on Park Lane (across from Hyde Park and within walking distance to Buckingham Palace, etc).  Also have stayed several times at County Hall a Marriott Hotel right at the base of Westminster Bridge and the London Eye.  Big Ben is a 5 minute walk.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Beachvue said:

Looking for hotel recommendations in London, centrally located. TIA.  

We need a ton of info before someone could even give you a list a mile long. Budget is top of that information-- the innumerable amount of hotels in central London can range from several hundred a night to several thousand and a lot in between. 

On 7/6/2023 at 4:07 PM, Beachvue said:

Looking for hotel recommendations in London, centrally located. TIA.  

Hi!

I should probably pin a topic to the top of this board, maybe for London Hotels: for example, there's one for Rome Hotels on our Italy Ports board because we noticed that questions about Rome hotel recommendations were one of the FAQs.

Now, folks can scroll through (or use the search function) the posts like a resource guide for info based on the posts by veteran members of the community, as well as feedback from folks who have taken the recommendations and posted feedback on their stays. (There's also a restaurant topic with images of meals that tease! 🤩)

Also, not everyone is looking for the same thing when searching for a hotel, the price being top of mind: not all budgets are the same. Another thing that varies is the type of accommodation sought, amenities, location (all of these impact the price), time of year one is traveling, and also length of stay. 

What's important to some travelers may not hold the same importance to others, hence why providing a little bit more information on one's "must haves" and price range helps experienced travelers/and or locals conjure up a response quite quickly.

London has an abundance of hotel rooms, and the price variance can be astounding, as in any major city. Sharing a price range and any deal breakers, must haves, certainly conjures up a short list for folks who have a short list of tried and true faves that they can drop in here. 

Do you want to be near theatres and museums? Certain landmarks? A particular tube or rail station? You might get all of the wishes in one place, but maybe close enough to be pleased...again, there are a lot of hotel rooms. 

And, we can see about doing the London hotel topic. It's time may have arrived, though folks will keep on posting their questions separately...it did catch on well for Rome. 

Good luck with your planning! 🙂 

Colleen

• Like 1

We are looking for a zone 1 or 2  London hotel that is clean, convenient to the tube for under 300 per night.. Does anyone have experience with either of these Gloucester Millennium or Resident Covent Garden  or can recommend another? TIA 

I actually stayed at the Millenium Gloucester about a million years ago (25, to be precise). At the time it was quite a nice hotel, and from the online pictures it seems to be well maintained over the years. A quiet location and right beside Gloucester Road underground station, so very convenient for the tube.

I have no personal experience with The Resident Covent Garden, but I love the location - in the heart of the action. I think you would probably be good with either choice.

23 hours ago, freewilly said:

under 300 per night.

It matter less as you have given two options, but 300 what? Dollars or pounds?

I am struggling to imagine the search that came up with two such different hotels in two such different locations! Makes it hard to suggest either way, because it's not clear what you are looking for, other than a price point. 

But I would absolutely stay at the Resident given this choice, unless you had a particular reason for being out on the Gloucester Road. Not least because the other hotel has committed the sin of removing the word Road from its name - that's where it is, not Gloucester, which is a city some one hundred miles to the West 😠😂

Last summer we stayed at the Resident Victoria and were pleased with the stay, especially as there was air conditioning. A few blocks walk to the tube station, which had a small grocery adjacent to the station. There was a (very) small space with sink, coffee and hot water maker, fridge. Several good restaurants within a few blocks walk as well. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 4:26 PM, trrn2016 said:

Opinions about staying in the Waterloo area. Looking at Marlin Waterloo and Hampton by Hilton. Any information appreciated. Thanks!

I looked at both of these also but then decided on the NOX Waterloo because of the prices, having a refrigerator, and right by the train station that goes to Southampton.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 9:39 PM, freewilly said:

We are looking for a zone 1 or 2  London hotel that is clean, convenient to the tube for under 300 per night.. Does anyone have experience with either of these Gloucester Millennium or Resident Covent Garden  or can recommend another? TIA 

I also stayed at the Gloucester Millennium many years ago on a business trip.  It was very nice at the time.  Since then I have returned to London several times on personal trips and now enjoy the hyde park kensington gardens area.  We love to walk through the parks.  Pre-pandemic we stayed at the Thistle Hotel and found it nice and reasonably budget friendly.

I need to decide between these two hotels: Hampton Inn by Hilton London Waterloo
Hilton London Metropole. The difference in price between them is less than $10 for the dates that I am looking for.

What I need to know is if the train station has an elevator and not just stairs so it would be easier for us to carry our suitcases.

8 minutes ago, Viajera7 said:

I need to decide between these two hotels: Hampton Inn by Hilton London Waterloo
Hilton London Metropole. The difference in price between them is less than $10 for the dates that I am looking for.

What I need to know is if the train station has an elevator and not just stairs so it would be easier for us to carry our suitcases.

Which station? Those two hotels are in very different parts of London. 

7 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

If we do so, would we be better off staying near the tourist sights or LHR?  

Stay in central London.  Look for any hotel that is near an Elizabeth line station (the new railway that runs from Heathrow right through central London)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Island2Dweller said:

Stay in central London.  Look for any hotel that is near an Elizabeth line station (the new railway that runs from Heathrow right through central London)

Or stay at Paddington, book an advance purchase ticket for £5-50 and enjoy a cheaper, quicker and more comfortable journey on the Heathrow Express.  

• Like 1