confiscated items

Hi - If we know before the cruise that we have prohibited items likely to be confiscated, can we put those in a duffle bag and give it to RC with the understanding that we will get it back at the end of the cruise?  We are having a hard time working out a plan to store a small duffle bag that has a heating pad and extension cord meant for European use and not allowed on the cruise.  We hate to throw them out.  What exactly happens when RC confiscates items?  Thanks in advance.

6 minutes ago, question221 said:

Hi - If we know before the cruise that we have prohibited items likely to be confiscated, can we put those in a duffle bag and give it to RC with the understanding that we will get it back at the end of the cruise?  We are having a hard time working out a plan to store a small duffle bag that has a heating pad and extension cord meant for European use and not allowed on the cruise.  We hate to throw them out.  What exactly happens when RC confiscates items?  Thanks in advance.

They store them and give you a claim check.  You will be able to pick them up at the end of your cruise. 

4 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

They store them and give you a claim check.  You will be able to pick them up at the end of your cruise. 

This. The only time I had an item confiscated, it was my responsibility to claim it in the terminal after disembarking. Since it was a pocket knife/utility tool I had found (and not knowing it was not allowed) I did not bother reclaiming it. I was not given a claim check.

1 minute ago, question221 said:

We are using the RCCL shuttle back to the airport so not sure if they allow you time to reclaim any confiscated items. 

They are usually sitting on a table as you disembark - just pick it up and keep walking.

2 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Do you declare the item, or do they have to look at it?

I am not sure.  I know one time we had to go and explain why we needed scissors, so somehow they must screen the bags.  I would be happy to declare these items as they are European items that I am not sure would even work on the RCCL ships.  I just hate to lose them permanently.

Yes.  We did it before.  We purchased a small suitcase to hold all our schnapps and glass wear we were planning to bring back home during our pre cruise trip in Germany.  When I was summoned to the naughty room I informed them to keep the entire suitcase.  They were baffled but it did happen.  Although we did try it again but they removed the contents out of our bag and brought the bag.  Wasn't really expecting the bag as we did not need anything in it.  So if you do declare it with someone, please report back as we are planning on doing this again in October.  Cheers

1 hour ago, Magicat said:

Yes.  We did it before.  We purchased a small suitcase to hold all our schnapps and glass wear we were planning to bring back home during our pre cruise trip in Germany.  When I was summoned to the naughty room I informed them to keep the entire suitcase.  They were baffled but it did happen.  Although we did try it again but they removed the contents out of our bag and brought the bag.  Wasn't really expecting the bag as we did not need anything in it.  So if you do declare it with someone, please report back as we are planning on doing this again in October.  Cheers

We are on the cruise until mid October, so not sure if we will have the result before you go.  We are also checking with our pre-cruise hotel to see if they will just keep a bag for us at no cost.  We are staying at the airport so that would probably be the easiest route. 

2 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Yes, the confiscation table is a great way to pick up a nice hairdryer and additional extension cords after a cruise.

It's a joke but I do wonder if things are not tagged.  RCCL has told us that we get a claim check and they deliver the items to the room at the end of the cruise.  Somehow I don't see this happening.  I wish we could rely on what they tell us.

(It's a Joke, folks)

6 hours ago, question221 said:

Make sure you know where to pick them up after your cruise.  

image.png.bf21bf2014f6bdfa16677801b6e20d46.png

Edited by BirdTravels

5 hours ago, question221 said:

We are returning to the airport and flying home after cruise.  We are using the RCCL shuttle back to the airport so not sure if they allow you time to reclaim any confiscated items. 

Yeah... you're going to do what with a cloths steamer or heating pad? Warm the shuttle seat???

6 hours ago, meadowlander said:

This. The only time I had an item confiscated, it was my responsibility to claim it in the terminal after disembarking. Since it was a pocket knife/utility tool I had found (and not knowing it was not allowed) I did not bother reclaiming it. I was not given a claim check.

No claim checks given.  You sea pass alerts them as you disembark.  They will give it to you right before you get off the ship. 

I always bring a power bar for all the devices for hotel stays.  We went on a long vacation that happened to include a short cruise and I never even thought about the power bar.  They took it and left me a ticket.  I thought for sure that thing was gone, but there it was at the end of the cruise waiting for me!  We were not in any hurry to get off the boat so I was one of the last few off the ship, but there were a lot of items still there.  I think the biggest issue is remembering to go pick it up!

Edited by LindyWebb

1 hour ago, LindyWebb said:

We were not in any hurry to get off the boat so I was one of the last few off the ship, but there were a lot of items still there.  I think the biggest issue is remembering to go pick it up!

Some people don't think it is worth the bother. My friend who's steamer was confiscated didn't pick it up but she was going home not onward with a land trip. If it were mine I would have pcked it up. 

23 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Yes, the confiscation table is a great way to pick up a nice hairdryer and additional extension cords after a cruise.

(It's a Joke, folks)

Expected from Land of Bad Comedy

22 hours ago, joeyancho said:

No claim checks given.  You sea pass alerts them as you disembark.  They will give it to you right before you get off the ship. 

I was not given my item on the ship as I was disembarking. My item was confiscated in the terminal & I was instructed to claim it in the terminal. As I posted, I did not bother to claim the item. 

This thread reminded me of a Halloween cruise where I was going to be costumed as a prisoner and had my handcuffs confiscated. On my way off the cruise the security officer at the pickup table gave me a funny look - I presume because I was an older lady. I just said, "don't ask."

• Haha 1

Well - I just looked up how much it would cost me to just replace the items for the next trip.  Several years ago I bought a European heating pad that works only in Europe - it is gently used.  Same for a European power strip - does not work in the US.  It comes to about $50 to replace these items - so annoying and unnecessary but not worth paying for left luggage at the airport.  We are planning on taking the shuttle back from the ship to the Rome airport and I am confused about the logistics of picking up confiscated items.

One other item - has anyone taken a small hand held vacuum that is used to deflate vacuum sealed bags?  It is not a heating element, but it will have a cord and not sure if that is the trigger to take things.

Just now, lovelife said:

This thread reminded me of a Halloween cruise where I was going to be costumed as a prisoner and had my handcuffs confiscated. On my way off the cruise the security officer at the pickup table gave me a funny look - I presume because I was an older lady. I just said, "don't ask."

Good story.  I like the fact that you said you "were" an older lady:)