Formal wear on Princess Enchanted Cruise

NewAmsterdam

Hi, we are first time cruisers travelling on the Enchanted Princess BCN to Rome on the 19th of Aug. Are their any formal nights that we should be aware of? What is the dress code for these. 

Is smart casual wear ok for normal dining nights? TIA

Edited by NewAmsterdam
  • Like 1

On cruises of 7 nights or more there will be formal nights. The length of the cruise determines the number of formal nights. On all Princess ships formal night attire runs from khaki slacks & polo shirt to tux. You'll see slacks, polo shirts, dress shirts, ties, no ties, jackets, no jackets, suits, tuxes for men. For women you'll see dressy capris, slacks, dressy tops, dresses, evening gowns. All are welcome. It really is your choice. If you enjoy dressing up, go for it. If you prefer more casual attire, go for it. It's preferred that shorts not be worn in the dining rooms for dinner. But I'm not sure that's enforced. On non formal nights smart casual is the norm. I occasionally see dressy shorts on non formal nights. Enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, NewAmsterdam said:

Thank you for your swift response. I guess smart jeans for men on formal nights is a no no then? I think it's alot easier for women. 

Would it only be 1 formal night during the week cruise? 

I've read numerous posts on cruise critic saying nice jeans on formal nights are fine. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NewAmsterdam said:

Hi, we are first time cruisers travelling on the Enchanted Princess BCN to Rome on the 19th of Aug. Are their any formal nights that we should be aware of? What is the dress code for these. 

Is smart casual wear ok for normal dining nights? TIA

I wear dockers and golf/polo style shirts. My wife wears slacks and a fancy girly top. No matter what the evening is called for the MDR. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NewAmsterdam said:

Thank you for your swift response. I guess smart jeans for men on formal nights is a no no then? I think it's alot easier for women. 

Jeans are definitely fine. In fact, you could wear shorts and t-shirts and still dine in the MDR on formal night (the stiff brigade may glance down their noses at you.. but you'll be welcomed in by the staff). There's generally 2 formal nights a week - our 21-night cruise on the Enchanted last month had 6. I wore a suit for 5 of them and wore shorts and a polo for the 6th. The food tasted just the same on the 6th. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You can find the details about how many formal nights there will be on your travel summary. It should be 2 per week. 

The smart casual dress code will be fine on formal nights.

As for shorts, one can predict whether the policy will be enforced by the dining room manager on any ship on any given night. If eating in the MDR is important to a passenger, they would be wise to plan accordingly and pack pants.

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/what-to-pack-for-a-cruise/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NewAmsterdam said:

Thank you for your swift response. I guess smart jeans for men on formal nights is a no no then? I think it's a lot easier for women. 

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/what-to-pack-for-a-cruise/

Under clothing recommendations, you can see the number of formal nights.  They might label one on the ship dress to impress or white/gold.

Note that formal nights are determined by the physical voyage and not necessarily what you booked.

Example:  You book a 14-night voyage (logical voyage) that is actually two 7-nights cruises B2B.  There will be four formal nights and not three.

• Thanks 1

Formal wear is subjective and depends on the cruise that is booked. Princess actually does some nudist cruises and the only restraint for formal night is the same as for any other meal in MDR. Passengers are required to put a towel down on the chair before sitting. Personally, I would truly hate to be a crew member on one of those cruises.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewAmsterdam said:

Thank you to all those that replied, really appreciate your advice. 

Completed Enchanted Barcelona to Athens in April.  So port intensive, most people  just did smart casual no matter what designated night it was.  Check out the buffet on long, tiring port days.  I was very impressed.

• Like 1

If you have nice jeans (most of mine cost more than a tux or a formal), you certainly will look better than some of the 70-80 crowd that takes their formal wear out of mothballs for each cruise….please don’t let the naysayers determine what you wear - it is your cruise, not theirs!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It's refreshing to hear that most people are agreeing that formal clothing is no longer a "requirement" on Princess's formal nights. They've finally relaxed the dress code to allow a more relaxed atmosphere for those people who don't wish to dress up just to eat in the DR.

It's still controversial about the wearing of shorts in the DR, at least on casual evenings. From my experience they are being tolerated on casual nights but rarely seen on formal nights and something I wouldn't count on. A pair of dark jeans or Dockers might be a better choice.

Now all they have to do is change the written policy to agree with the actuality of what is being worn on all their ships so people wouldn't  be confused before sailing.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, trvlwrld said:

- it is your cruise, not theirs!

Actually, it's their ship and restaurant. Not yours. 

They could require, but they only recommend.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last Princess trip in 2019 in the Mediterranean, we packed the husband black dress pants, a long sleeve shirt and a tie, no jacket, should have been a non issue and we do try to travel light. We got stopped and told without a jacket no entry on formal night. Normally we are super laid back but needless to say I was not pleased and let them know with airline limits, overseas travel and what was at least on par to most other travelers we would be dining….they backed down. I do think sometimes they use dress code when they have over booked or given away the table…our reserved table was unavailable but they managed to find us a table…was it really about attire?!?!

39 minutes ago, tobyt said:

Last Princess trip in 2019 in the Mediterranean, we packed the husband black dress pants, a long sleeve shirt and a tie, no jacket, should have been a non issue and we do try to travel light. We got stopped and told without a jacket no entry on formal night. Normally we are super laid back but needless to say I was not pleased and let them know with airline limits, overseas travel and what was at least on par to most other travelers we would be dining….they backed down. I do think sometimes they use dress code when they have over booked or given away the table…our reserved table was unavailable but they managed to find us a table…was it really about attire?!?!

A lot has changed since 2019. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tobyt said:

Last Princess trip in 2019 in the Mediterranean, we packed the husband black dress pants, a long sleeve shirt and a tie, no jacket, should have been a non issue and we do try to travel light. We got stopped and told without a jacket no entry on formal night.

I guess it must have happened as I believe you by default, but it is very hard to believe.  Sure, there is some change since 2019, but no way was jacket and tie required/enforced in 2019, so it must have been an isolated thing.  It could have even been just that one DR on the ship.  Who knows?  Doesn't much matter now, but it would be interesting to know the ship and who the MD was at the time.  You are the first and only account of a guest dressed as your husband was and almost turned away.  

I guess it is moot now as won't be happening today.

• Like 3

I can't remember the last time my husband wore a jacket to dinner on both formal & non formal nights. It's been many years. He has never been denied entrance into the mdr. 

• Like 3

We are part of the mid range crowd- formal is black pants and sparkly shirt for me; slacks , button down , sometimes sports coat for husband.  

Our last cruise was a 7 day Discovery coastal CA.   I was surprised at how many folks dressed up; and they were totally enjoying themselves.  

My personal feeling is people should make a little minimal effort for the MDR, especially since Princess has multiple options, but it would be nice if we could stop insulting each other about this….

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, LynnSD said:

Our last cruise was a 7 day Discovery coastal CA.   I was surprised at how many folks dressed up; and they were totally enjoying themselves.

And the people who weren't dressed up, were not?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3