Analysis Paralysis causing me to keep backpedaling on Cruise selection!

Ladydee

Trying to keep this short but factual, and I'd like input from regular cruisers of multiple lines.  I'm planning a Caribbean cruise for early 2024 for family group of 14.  We have all cruised before, but not since 2016.  We're just about to pull the trigger on the Norwegian Breakaway.  This is a big leap of faith for us because we enjoy and have the most experience with RCCL.  We're open-minded in that we know its a different style of cruising for one, and we are all painfully aware of how "the Covid Effect" has left no industry unscathed.  It seemed that NCL had the best prices for our budgets (mixed generations with some 20-somethings still building careers, and some retirees), and the Free at Sea promo is attractive. Personally, I would have loved to try Celebrity, but the quotes for ships I was looking at were too high.  In any case, I keep hearing and reading how just about everything on board the Breakaway is an upcharge, and by the time the week is over, many are disheartened and/or surprised to realize the true cost of their cruise.  I had assumed all cruise lines were doing this, following suit like the airlines and hotels, but it kind of seems that NCL gets singled out, so maybe my assumption was wrong.  Maybe when all is said and done, NCL isn't the value cruise it appears to be, and I should go back and re-evaluate.  This is a hard question to ask without a face to face conversation, but I'm hoping someone gets where I'm at and can offer some input here.  Yes, I know its just personal opinions, but that is what I want.  Thanks!

The phrase you are looking for here is "nickel and diming".     To me that's just a term cruisers use who haven't done their research to find out what is included and isn't.  With NCL's "Free at Sea" promo ensure, if you haven't already, that you read the Terms and Conditions because it's not completely free, more like sorta, kinda.  lol

There are mandatory gratuity charges on the dining and booze packages.  Not that it's a bad deal but pretty much all the various lines do the marketing sleight of hand.

• Like 2

Unless purchasing an upgrade package, I would think all of the mainstream cruise lines have similar upcharges.  Drinks, gratuities, use of exclusive areas, etc etc.   

Ask a long question, you get a long answer! I have cruised several lines both before and after Covid. Honestly don't see that much of a difference. We have used NCL the most. We like the lack of schedule on NCL. But many other cruisers we talked to felt they were disorganized compared to others. I guess one man's flexible is another's disorganized. The ships are clean, the rooms nice, the staff fantastic, and the food pretty good. We are not much into any of the entertainment. Except we did see a Cirque de Sole show on NCL- so worth it! But it came with a specialty dinner so there was an up charge. Food that night was also spectacular. Con-NCL- with the free at sea you will have to pay additional gratuities. Since the specialty dinners were not that great it wasn't worth the extra cost (to us) of higher tips required. We are also not huge drinkers. If you have under 21 guests you can tell them

and they will lower the grat cost for the non- alcohol package. We also found the shore excursion credit to have little value for us. We like to get our excursions when we get a shore. But everyone is different about that. If you have a big group, consider booking private excursions ahead of time. 
They don't advertise this but there is something called a sail away rate. That's where they pick your room within your cabin type. You don't get the extra packages. It gives you a better comparison. Ask about when you talk to them. Only problem when sailing with others your rooms may not be together. 
We also did a Caribbean cruise on Princess in early 2022. We loved it. Food was a little better. We especially loved the medallions. With a large group these could be a Vacation saver. While on board you can find your cruise mates. This is awesome since ships are huge and cell phones don't always work. You can also order food or drinks from where ever you are on board and they will deliver right to you. Their tech made everything so easy and fun.They have medallion and medallion plus rates. The plus is similar to NCL free at sea. If you add the cost of drinks, WiFi, and gratuities (Med plus covers those too) it's a good deal. 
Our next cruise is Celebrity, only because we found the best price with the best itinerary and dates combo. They used to be considered a luxury line. I guess now not so much. One thing we discovered (cuz now I know what to ask about) is that you can get zero proof drink packages. We would never have more than one alcoholic drink in a day so why pay for it. Also, one of those little things that add up on cruises- bottled water. Most drink packages don't include them. Celebrities zero proof package does. That and WiFi are the only extras we sprang for this time around. 

One more thing, it's best to pay gratuities when you pay for cruise. It may not save you money, but if tip rates go up between the time you pay and your cruise, it will. And I think it's nice pay for as much up front as I can so I don't get hit with that big bill at the end. 

• Like 4

Why don't you post this on the NCL section of CC?

You could specifically ask something like, for those who have cruised on other lines (maybe specify?) but not yet NCL, what charges caught you by surprise?

And any other suggestions about figuring out what $$ surprises there might be and what can or cannot be avoided.

GC

• Thanks 2

It is difficult to offer advice since the OP seems to have a good understanding of the situation.  The business model of the huge mass market ships is to "maximize onboard revenue" to which many here do like the nickel/dime term.  One can certainly control their budget by taking advantage to what is included and avoiding most things that would incur extra cost.  We also agree with the other poster than you might want to also look at options for Princess.  But, if your group includes some teens (and younger) they would likely enjoy the amenities found on the mega ships of RCI or NCL.  

Another possibility is MSC which is somewhat different than RCI and NCL.  With NCL you can generally book the "experience" that best meets your needs.  Their ships are gorgeous, but they can feel crowded and seem to be a love it-hate it kind of line.

Hank

i am not one to over analyze anything.  I look at my options, if the price is right, I pull the trigger.  Once on board, it's up to me to make my own fun.  There will be something to do for everyone.  Once on board, just go with the flow.  Now, if someone needs to be in control all the time, I can see where choosing a vacation (cruise) could be a bit of a problem.

• Like 2

We often sail with large family groups. We select destination first but the second consideration is budget and a variety of choices.  Some will go for the budget inside with no packages while others enjoy the benefits and paid perks of the top line suites.  Budget is important so everyone can feel comfortable sailing.    

what we look for: ability to dine together which can require numerous 8 person tables, a variety of excursions including for the young and active and the elderly who just want a nice bus ride.  Variety, variety, variety.  

Another name for nickel and diming is customizing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Ladydee said:

In any case, I keep hearing and reading how just about everything on board the Breakaway is an upcharge,

You only pay that upcharge - I would assume - if it is for things that you want to use.  If you think about what you want to do on board, then you will find out how susceptible your group will be to those upcharges.

21 hours ago, Ladydee said:

NCL isn't the value cruise it appears to be, and I should go back and re-evaluate.

Sounds like you have some additional "homework" to do.  You might also want to talk to the larger group to see what they also want to do on the cruise to again see where you might be spending money.  Again, this will help you decide which cruise line offers the best value to you.

One more thing, I would also consider the overall onboard experience/atmosphere too.  There are likely quality differences that may overcome the absolute lowest cost option savings which will lead to a more pleasurable experience for you group - assuming it is still affordable to you.

• Like 1

Perhaps too simple ... but I would make a list of everything that everyone wants to do on the cruise.  Find out if those things are included or if there's an extra charge.  Then you'll know just what the cruise will cost each pax.  People seem to see extra fees as a negative.  I see them as a good way to offer extra goodies to those who want them.  Those who don't want them pay a lower net cost for the cruise.  

Why should I subsidize the cost of Specialty Restaurants, for instance?  We find the included dining on NCL just great. 

The Drinks Package is a very good deal because we drink cocktails and have wine and champagne every night. (I sometimes have a glass of champagne at a late lunch, than take a nap after, great fun.)  I'd be paying a gratuity anyway, so NCL is doing me a favor by charging me upfront.  I tip in cash, I consider the prepaid gratuities part of the basic cost of the cruise.  I want to show direct appreciation for any service I receive. 

The credits for ShoreX make them reasonable and sometimes I want a ship's excursion instead of making independent arrangements. 

There are probably a gazillion other things to do on a ship that may or may not cost extra.  You just need to find out what the fees are for the activities your group wants.  

And of course you ARE being controlling and meticulous.  That attention to detail makes for a very good trip in my experience!  

Edited by jsn55
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I understand over-analyzing!  No one can accuse me of failing to do my homework.  What I'd do if I were in your shoes: 

- Go through your two choices and create a list of facts and costs for each cruise.  Include prices for various room levels.  Include what's included vs. what would likely cost extra.  

- Type it up nice and neat and send it out to all your potential participants -- 20 somethings and retirees.  Have them vote -- give them a deadline.  

- What ever the vote, you'll have your answer, and it won't be just your opinion, so people won't be able to point fingers at you and say, "We didn't know ___."  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IMO, you're overthinking this. 

NCL is known for their nickel and dime culture, especially charging gratuities on their so-called "free" packages.  No, NCL is not so much a bargain as the original sticker might indicate.  However, it is my opinion that NCL did a great job reimagining their product with Breakaway and newer ships.  I also cruise mostly RCI and I had a great time on a Breakaway sister ship.  My advice is just go with it.  Go enjoy your cruise.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Aquahound said:

NCL is known for their nickel and dime culture, especially charging gratuities on their so-called "free" packages. 

I hear you on that “free at sea” marketing language.  But does anyone really think that when other cruise lines give out an included (“free”) beverage package without breaking out a cost for gratuities that some amount for them hasn’t been factored in by the cruise line? 

For someone looking to book a cruise, it all comes down to the bottom line. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I hear you on that “free at sea” marketing language.  But does anyone really think that when other cruise lines give out an included (“free”) beverage package without breaking out a cost for gratuities that some amount for them hasn’t been factored in by the cruise line? 

Probably not, but I’m not aware of any other line adding a surcharge to something they advertise as free. I’ll never be supportive of NCL doing that, regardless of how much I enjoy their product. 

• Like 2

We like NCL and don't feel that they nickel and dime any more than other major lines, but it does depend how susceptible people are to all the extras offered.  (We also like a lot of other lines and have cruised on many.  Never had one we disliked because of the cruise line).  

Otherwise, just don't buy the extras!  Unless you really want them.

We rarely drink, but be aware that on NCL the gratuities are not included on the drink package, if you get that.  It adds several hundred dollars to your bill for the tips that you might not be aware of.  Usually you can opt out of the drink package, but once in a while you can't.  So we never book if that's the case.

Tips on specialty restaurants aren't included either, but amount to very little, compared to the drink tips.

• Like 4

Norwegian Cruises are highly enjoyable, but there is a huge difference in the prices before and after Covid.

The increase is nearly 100% , so I strongly feel that they have priced themselves out of the mass cruise market.

The free at sea perks are priced into the cruise fare, and.the added gratuities make it even more expensive

Still, you may just get a last minute deal or a sailaway deal without perks

Edited by drsel

1 hour ago, drsel said:

Norwegian Cruises are highly enjoyable, but there is a huge difference in the prices before and after Covid.

The increase is nearly 100% , so I strongly feel that they have priced themselves out of the mass cruise market.

The free at sea perks are priced into the cruise fare, and the added gratuities make it even more expensive

Still, you may just get a last minute deal or a sailaway deal without perks

Just basic business economics ... of course there are huge price differences before and after the virus disaster.  Not defending NCL but reminding everyone that cruiselines' revenue was eliminated with the virus; expenses continued.  When the government finally backed off and let us get back to work, a huge percentage of cruisers used credits to book.  No revenue was created, expenses rose quickly.  Just visualize the cost of hiring and training crew, that's an obvious example; one among many.  Management is doing the right thing ... no point in stumbling along without enough revenue to operate.  That just leads to financial failure.  The market will even itself out automatically over time.  Only pragmatic management will ensure corporate survival.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I was in the same situation as the OP, I would make a detailed Excel spreadsheet with all cruise lines and specific ship being considered at the top, then list in left hand cells the basic cost, drinks, gratuity, internet, extra cost restaurants, what the ship has for entertainment, what the ship has for toys/excitement, costs of tours in ports, etc. etc. Plus any other extras OP is considering.

8 hours ago, SPacificbound said:

If I was in the same situation as the OP, I would make a detailed Excel spreadsheet with all cruise lines and specific ship being considered at the top, then list in left hand cells the basic cost, drinks, gratuity, internet, extra cost restaurants, what the ship has for entertainment, what the ship has for toys/excitement, costs of tours in ports, etc. etc. Plus any other extras OP is considering.

Yup.  Then send it out to the group and have them vote.

• Haha 1