Plus package for non-drinker?

Sandie5

2 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

After factoring out the tips and wifi, you only need to drink 3 alcoholic drinks a day.  That's far from heavy drinking.  We've been down this road before and we know you're on the borderline teetotaler side of the line in the sand. Nothing wrong with that.

You keep telling yourself that along with many others & Princess will love you. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Potstech said:

Where buying either package for us is the fact that both in the cabin MUST purchase a package . DW does not drink, rarely uses WIFI do the only benefit for her would be the gratuities. So at $120.00 per day for the cabin it comes to over $840.00 extra for the cabin just for the Plus package. Not even a consideration for us.

We don't even care about the included wifi.  After factoring out tips, It's about 623 for the two of us to enjoy canned Coke Zero, San Pellegrino, espresso based drinks and adult beverages.  That's an absolute no brainer especially considering what the same package costs on Celebrity, Carnival, NCL and RCI.  That's why we have 56 days of it lined up over the next 25 months and will get it again on fall 2025 and winter 2026 sailings.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I would be interested in your math in figuring out 'worth' figuring in 3 alcoholic drinks, CA, and internet.

if alcoholic drinks is 0 - , but it was 3 for the posters breakeven

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

On a slow day I will enjoy 4 and maybe a shot.  On a good day, my DH will easily hit double digits.  The facts are what the facts are.  Three drinks a day or combinations to add up to 29 bucks via coffee, soda, water, mocktails, etc and then the wifi is gravy since the 60 goes towards drinks and grats.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

On a slow day I will enjoy 4 and maybe a shot.  On a good day, my DH will easily hit double digits.  The facts are what the facts are.  Three drinks a day or combinations to add up to 29 bucks via coffee, soda, water, mocktails, etc and then the wifi is gravy since the 60 goes towards drinks and grats.

of course

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phabric said:

On day 1 and 2 only while on the ship, you can purchase the Plus and  soda packages per person.

Just to clarify, this post has to mean the beverages-only package and not the cruise fare package.  Guest can also purchase the cruise fare packages on Day 1 for same cost as pre-cruise and use any OBC available to pay towards the cost.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phabric said:

If they do not drink a lot, purchasing the Plus drink only for one and separately purchase WiFi (share) and tips and the other person purchases the package they want and separately the tips.  

Actually, only works - and barely - if 2nd person in cabin doesn't buy any packages.

CA is $32/day.  Internet is $30/day.  Single Plus standalone beverage is about $77/day.  Total is $139.  2 x Plus cruise fare = $120.  With internet 50% off, you have $32 + $15 + $77 = $124.  Hmmm.. also exceeds 2x Plus.  The only way standalone beverage makes any sense whatsoever is if the guests are passing on internet and only paying the CA. 

$32 + $77 = $109.  Now person #2 has only $11/day to spend on whatever drinks to beat 2 Plus packages.  

37 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Actually, only works - and barely - if 2nd person in cabin doesn't buy any packages.

CA is $32/day.  Internet is $30/day.  Single Plus standalone beverage is about $77/day.  Total is $139.  2 x Plus cruise fare = $120.  With internet 50% off, you have $32 + $15 + $77 = $124.  Hmmm.. also exceeds 2x Plus.  The only way standalone beverage makes any sense whatsoever is if the guests are passing on internet and only paying the CA. 

$32 + $77 = $109.  Now person #2 has only $11/day to spend on whatever drinks to beat 2 Plus packages.  

I have a 7 day Caribbean cruise with

tips - $151.20/pp,

WiFi (50%- 4 devices) - $189.00 (I split with friend so $94.50/pp)

soda package - $167.16/pp

total $412.86/pp 

I priced out the same cruise with the Plus package.  I save $154.24 CDN per person doing it separately.

Edited by phabric

4 hours ago, memoak said:

Everyone’s definition oh heavy drinker is different. For us 8-10 drinks would not be unusual on a cruise or on a weekend

According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, drinking is considered to be in the moderate or low-risk range for women at no more than three drinks in any one day and no more than seven drinks per week. For men, it is no more than four drinks a day and no more than 14 drinks per week

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Musky Ike said:

According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, drinking is considered to be in the moderate or low-risk range for women at no more than three drinks in any one day and no more than seven drinks per week. For men, it is no more than four drinks a day and no more than 14 drinks per week

Man, I have a lot of catching up to do!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

If they keep raising the prices it'll even look more appealing.  😆

16 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

On Princess it's per day, not per week.  😁

• Haha 2

Wow do I have some catching up to do. We had the drink package last Oct. hubby doesn't drink but I do not a lot but if I want one I have it or even two, I'm not driving. I loved this package we always got a coffee card for me and soda sticker for him pre paid tips and used only free minutes at the internet location on board. I had my lattes every morning and never ran out with no limit. Plus I like having water in my tote all day no running back to buffet to fill a bottle. We got four bottles a day plus hubby had his fill of soda. The tips not an issue always pre pay now WiFi was a bonus while in the cabin at night and early in the day we both used unlimited wifi. We were on the sapphire and had no issues.

New package not so sure they can keep those desserts for one and it will depend on how high they have gone. We had this booked prior to the increase and desserts and it was well worth it for me.

Something else I didn't know was we could carry on soda and water? Has this always been the case? I do take on a bottle of wine that I like for the cabin on occasion but that's been it.

Thanks for this post we are looking to book Alaska for the five of us next year. Will keep an eye on this board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, latebloomer56 said:

Something else I didn't know was we could carry on soda and water? Has this always been the case?

Yes, you can take onboard at embarkation and at ports.  That's what we do now since the package price increases.  I take a tumbler and get ice, and just pack a couple of drinks of some kind a day during the day to have with me.  I can always fill up at bars or the buffet should I need more ice. 

Edited by kywildcatfanone
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, phabric said:

I have a 7 day Caribbean cruise with

tips - $151.20/pp,

WiFi (50%- 4 devices) - $189.00 (I split with friend so $94.50/pp)

soda package - $167.16/pp

total $412.86/pp 

I priced out the same cruise with the Plus package.  I save $154.24 CDN per person doing it separately.

But your way you get no coffee, water, or alcohol.  But you did save 154 Canadian.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

But your way you get no coffee, water, or alcohol.  But you did save 154 Canadian.

I don’t drink coffee or alcohol.  I bring an insulate mug to fill with ice/water to take off the ship.  I am Elite so have a couple of bottles of water.

On 7/20/2023 at 3:58 PM, Sandie5 said:

I'm not a drinker these days. Should I pass on the Plus package even though we'd get crew appreciation and wifi included?

I do not drink alcoholic beverages. That said, I do like carbonated drinks, juices and speciality coffee. I find it is simpler to get the Plus (because of the other added benefits) just so I know that I never have to pay for any drink on the ship. And I can order as many bottles of water as I want and I take them back to my room. At least I could do that last year (who know what restrictions they now have in place). 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, phabric said:

I don’t drink coffee or alcohol.  I bring an insulate mug to fill with ice/water to take off the ship.  I am Elite so have a couple of bottles of water.

You are not the person the packages are designed for. If someone does not drink coffee, soft drinks , mock tails or alcohol there is no advantage to paying for a package 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, phabric said:

Bottles of water an Elite benefit?

6 hours ago, phabric said:

You're a member of the 95% of teetotalers that should not buy the package.  You have many of your brethren on this thread.  Many people already know which side of the line in the sand they stand on, so most of the back and forth on this thread is basically fruitless, except for those that may be straddling the line.

• Like 1