Drinks packages on Oceania

roscoff

Hi, this is my first posting despite some 14 years of using this really helpful site.

I’m hoping there is a drinker (bottle of wine for dinner, glass at lunchtime and a cocktail or two pre dinner ) who would tell me if it’s worth getting a drinks package. We’ve always ‘paid as we go’ on Oceania in the past. Were we to get a package do they top your glass up frequently enough during dinner? Thank you.

We are on the Athens to Istanbul cruise this coming October. First cruise since 2014, can’t wait !! 
Apologies if my question has already been answered in full else where.

@roscoff I do my first time Oceania Cruise the month after you.  Going to some of the same places.  I am not an expert however prior to my decision on the drink package, I did lot of research.  Other will comment on your posting because it is a good CruiseCritic.com board and the members who travel Oceania tend to truly want to help folks with questions.  Here is my reasoning and it will differ from some.

For me, it is less about the package and more about the over arching strategy.  

No Package Option: When you booked you most likely had a option of one of three perks.  To have no drink package means you did not that as your choose the Select Drink Package which is Wine and Beer at lunch and dinner meals only.  The approach in my opinion based on the information you gave it to leverage the nightly (sometimes twice a night) happy hours for two for one drinks.  Also, attend the events like the Captain's Party where complementary drinks of some sort are provided. As normal, this is your "Pay as you Go Strategy". 

Select Drink Package Option:  This is a nice option if you occasionally want a cocktail before or after dinner.  Again you can leverage the two for one option or simply on occasion order a drink.  You also have the option of upgrading to the Prestige Unlimited Drink Program for $30.00 per day per passenger.  

Prestige Drink Package:  This is what I choose and here are my reasons.  My strategy is to not have to worry about the end bill under my stateroom door the morning you leave.  Some bad memories of being young and crazy even though I am old and boring now.  I know I will never get my money's worth however not worrying about it makes a difference to me.  I took the $300.00 On-Board-Credit per person and pre-cruise purchased the $600.00 Prestige Package (I added $300.00 on my credit card).  

So no easy answer, however based on how you want to approach your vacation strategically.  No wrong answers here.  I will say, I like that I can get a Drink Package and my spouse does not have too do so.  The only challenge there is some cruisers do not like having to show their cruise stateroom card every time they get a drink.  Just a necessary evil with so many drink strategy options.  I hope my nebbie take give you what you are looking for.  I assure you, other will have very pointed opinions on your questions.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

5 hours ago, roscoff said:

Hi, this is my first posting despite some 14 years of using this really helpful site.

I’m hoping there is a drinker (bottle of wine for dinner, glass at lunchtime and a cocktail or two pre dinner ) who would tell me if it’s worth getting a drinks package. We’ve always ‘paid as we go’ on Oceania in the past. Were we to get a package do they top your glass up frequently enough during dinner? Thank you.

We are on the Athens to Istanbul cruise this coming October. First cruise since 2014, can’t wait !! 
Apologies if my question has already been answered in full else where.

Bottles of wine are not included in any package

So the question is  when you booked  did you book after July 1st this year?

If so  you get SM  beverage package  with wine/beer & Champagne with lunch & dinner

Did you book prior to July 1st  ? take the O Life  perk ?  what perk did you take ?

58 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@roscoff I do my first time Oceania Cruise the month after you.  Going to some of the same places.  I am not an expert however prior to my decision on the drink package, I did lot of research.  Other will comment on your posting because it is a good CruiseCritic.com board and the members who travel Oceania tend to truly want to help folks with questions.  Here is my reasoning and it will differ from some.

For me, it is less about the package and more about the over arching strategy.  

No Package Option: When you booked you most likely had a option of one of three perks.  To have no drink package means you did not that as your choose the Select Drink Package which is Wine and Beer at lunch and dinner meals only.  The approach in my opinion based on the information you gave it to leverage the nightly (sometimes twice a night) happy hours for two for one drinks.  Also, attend the events like the Captain's Party where complementary drinks of some sort are provided. As normal, this is your "Pay as you Go Strategy". 

Select Drink Package Option:  This is a nice option if you occasionally want a cocktail before or after dinner.  Again you can leverage the two for one option or simply on occasion order a drink.  You also have the option of upgrading to the Prestige Unlimited Drink Program for $30.00 per day per passenger.  

Prestige Drink Package:  This is what I choose and here are my reasons.  My strategy is to not have to worry about the end bill under my stateroom door the morning you leave.  Some bad memories of being young and crazy even though I am old and boring now.  I know I will never get my money's worth however not worrying about it makes a difference to me.  I took the $300.00 On-Board-Credit per person and pre-cruise purchased the $600.00 Prestige Package (I added $300.00 on my credit card).  

So no easy answer, however based on how you want to approach your vacation strategically.  No wrong answers here.  I will say, I like that I can get a Drink Package and my spouse does not have too do so.  The only challenge there is some cruisers do not like having to show their cruise stateroom card every time they get a drink.  Just a necessary evil with so many drink strategy options.  I hope my nebbie take give you what you are looking for.  I assure you, other will have very pointed opinions on your questions.

3 minutes ago, roscoff said:

We booked prior to July and took onboard credits which we have used this towards shore excursions. 

So the  decision is   to buy  a Beverage package or not

You could always  wait   until onboard  & see how much you drink   in a day & then buy the package 

Option 2  take some bottles of wine  & pay the corkage fee 

Option 3  see what the cost is to switch to Simply More  deal

Do the math

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

So the  decision is   to buy  a Beverage package or not

You could always  wait   until onboard  & see how much you drink   in a day & then buy the package 

Option 2  take some bottles of wine  & pay the corkage fee 

Option 3  see what the cost is to switch to Simply More  deal

Do the math

Thank you for your suggestions, much appreciated.

• Like 1

My DH and I will never sail without a full drink package... we consider it a part of vacation expense and fully enjoy that "all included" aspect. Mimosas with breakfast, chardonnay around the pool, cocktails on the balcony, a pre-dinner martini, nice wine with dinner, fine port afterwards, a drink at the show.... yes, it that is us on vacation!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, julia said:

My DH and I will never sail without a full drink package... we consider it a part of vacation expense and fully enjoy that "all included" aspect. Mimosas with breakfast, chardonnay around the pool, cocktails on the balcony, a pre-dinner martini, nice wine with dinner, fine port afterwards, a drink at the show.... yes, it that is us on vacation!

@julia Extremely well stated. 

• Like 2

This may be off topic, but Roscoff, if you booked before July 1, you may want to have your agent check to see if there’s a new price for your cabin.  We just got a $2400 credit on our Sirena Amazon cruise because of the difference between the price we paid and the current price for the same cabin.  Our $800 0Life credit for excursions was increased to $1200, and basic wine/beer package is now included.

Given the size of our credit, I’m not sure it pays for me to upgrade to the premium drinks package. I’ll probably wait until I get on board and can see if my favorite scotch is included. 

11 minutes ago, nucdrf said:

This may be off topic, but Roscoff, if you booked before July 1, you may want to have your agent check to see if there’s a new price for your cabin.  We just got a $2400 credit on our Sirena Amazon cruise because of the difference between the price we paid and the current price for the same cabin.  Our $800 0Life credit for excursions was increased to $1200, and basic wine/beer package is now included.

Given the size of our credit, I’m not sure it pays for me to upgrade to the premium drinks package. I’ll probably wait until I get on board and can see if my favorite scotch is included. 

What is your favorite scotch?

• Like 1

We had the pre-July bookings "O-Life" package on our recent Regatta cruise and thought it was just right for us. Cruises booked after July 1 have two levels of drink packages available.

To answer your question, yes they do top off your glass - liberally. As stated in this thread the package covers lunch and dinner. There's a very nice by-the-glass selection, including Champagne.

Bottles, from the extensive listings, are available for a 15% discount with the package - which nearly offsets the 20% gratuity.

For pre and post dinner cocktails, they have a "Happy Hour" twice daily with 2 for 1's. You will probably have onboard credits to offset anything else. If you receive a credit from your TA, it is refundable (you will see this on your statement onboard) and the ship will pay you in cash. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, loge23 said:

We had the pre-July bookings "O-Life" package on our recent Regatta cruise and thought it was just right for us. Cruises booked after July 1 have two levels of drink packages available.

Cruises  booked prior to July 1st had the same 2 drink packages   except  now  the House Select is included after Oct 1st  with SM

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, nucdrf said:

Talisker. I know they have it on board, but don’t know if it’s now included in the Premium Package. It hasn’t been on my previous sailings. 

Someone posted the new package a few months ago. I know Oban is now on it, but not sure about Talisker. You might ask @shepherd really. 

12 hours ago, roscoff said:

Were we to get a package do they top your glass up frequently enough during dinner?Thank you.

This is going to vary by ship, cruise, and staff.  When I've had the basic beverage package I have always had to ask for another glass.  They never topped off. With every glass that I ordered, they took my card each time because they have to swipe it at the machine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was just on Vista in May and they were very generous in their pours and were continually topping them off. Also they only asked for our cards at the end of dinner, never after each glass. We had the Basic Drink Package. 

• Like 3

I’m going on my first Oceania cruise in a week and will probably upgrade from the basic beverage package to the prestige package once onboard.  Can I do this at one of the bars or do I need to go to guest services?  Thank you, Paul

9 hours ago, nucdrf said:

Talisker. I know they have it on board, but don’t know if it’s now included in the Premium Package. It hasn’t been on my previous sailings. 

Ours too.  I'm sure it was available on our Sirena cruise last September, but as DH orders the drinks, I can't be positive till I ask him.  We always take the premium package, for all the reasons written above.

16 hours ago, ORV said:

Someone posted the new package a few months ago. I know Oban is now on it, but not sure about Talisker. You might ask @shepherd really. 

I explored the single malt list alphabetically. I only made it to Oban and getting past the Macallan 18-year-old to the Oban was a challenge on a seven-day cruise.  😇 

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, paf225 said:

I’m going on my first Oceania cruise in a week and will probably upgrade from the basic beverage package to the prestige package once onboard.  Can I do this at one of the bars or do I need to go to guest services?  Thank you, Paul

Historically it's been Guest Services. Things are a changing though. Just check when you get onboard. 

• Thanks 1

We book suites and so get 6 bottles of whatever we want in the suite.  In spite of that we buy the full drinks package.  Why?  because we don't like being "nickled and dimed" to use an American saying.  we like to be able to have what we want when we want it and not think "oh no - that is another $20 on the bill at the end of the cruise".   A cocktail - ordinary sort - is $18 per drink plus 20% service.  Wine is less.   I suppose we buy convenience.  We like it that way.  We are on holiday!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Historically it's been Guest Services. Things are a changing though. Just check when you get onboard. 

Greetings

Yes, you have to go to Guest Services because they need to print you a new card showing the package upgrade.  There are often bar personnel handing out the upgrade form but you still need your card updated.

Good Sailing

Tom

• Thanks 2

On 7/25/2023 at 8:26 AM, roscoff said:

We booked prior to July and took onboard credits which we have used this towards shore excursions. 

That was a big mistake. SBC perk is a wash with the added cost of O Life. Had you taken the tours option you could select up to twice their $100/tour base value (i.e,, up to $199 each)

• Like 1