Uh Oh. Cabin now pending.

krufrank

We board TODAY - in about 5 hours. We got our room assignment a few weeks ago, printed luggage tags and everything. This morning our app is now saying our Deck and Cabin assignment is “pending”. 

So, I ask - is this a good thing (upgrade) or a bad thing (over sold) or maybe just a glitch?

Thanks for any assistance or advice. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, krufrank said:

We board TODAY - in about 5 hours. We got our room assignment a few weeks ago, printed luggage tags and everything. This morning our app is now saying our Deck and Cabin assignment is “pending”. 

So, I ask - is this a good thing (upgrade) or a bad thing (over sold) or maybe just a glitch?

Thanks for any assistance or advice. 

App seems to act crazy within 24 hours of sailing.  Sign out of the App and back in. It may correct itself.  The website should show correctly.  Have fun!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

App seems to act crazy within 24 hours of sailing.  Sign out of the App and back in. It may correct itself.  The website should show correctly.  Have fun!

Did that but still the same. Weird. Like everyone is saying, probably glitchy app BUT we do have a “terrible room” we complained about when it was assigned. We asked for balcony and they put us in one of only two balcony rooms on the ship that have a solid metal balcony siding instead of the transparent glass. So, hoping they moved us. 

2 hours ago, krufrank said:

Did that but still the same. Weird. Like everyone is saying, probably glitchy app BUT we do have a “terrible room” we complained about when it was assigned. We asked for balcony and they put us in one of only two balcony rooms on the ship that have a solid metal balcony siding instead of the transparent glass. So, hoping they moved us. 

Let us know how it goes.

31 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

@krufrank...what was the outcome ?  You've got us all holding our breath! 😄

Computer glitch. Baggage handlers were the first to confirm. We got the room we were assigned - which was suppose to be an “uninstructed balcony” which it clearly isn’t. But all is good. A bad day cruising is still better than a good day working. 

IMG_5489.jpeg

IMG_5490.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, WmFCoyote said:

Who provides the instructions on this?

The website. When we brought it to front desk attention they said our room wasn’t obstructed. I showed them the pictures. They sighed and said if it weren’t a sold out cruise they would move us. I reminded them we paid for unobstructed so would we get some onboard credit? Their reply was they would have to get back to us. It’s 1st day at sea and still haven’t heard anything yet. We will see. 

1 hour ago, krufrank said:

The website. When we brought it to front desk attention they said our room wasn’t obstructed. I showed them the pictures. They sighed and said if it weren’t a sold out cruise they would move us. I reminded them we paid for unobstructed so would we get some onboard credit? Their reply was they would have to get back to us. It’s 1st day at sea and still haven’t heard anything yet. We will see. 

I'd keep pestering them (in a nice way) daily until you get action.  Speak with the Guest Services manager and the Hotel Manager if need be.  And ask for the name and email of the Princess VP in charge of hotel management and write them, too.  You most certainly have an obstructed cabin, and your ship's deck plans almost certainly lists your cabin  as obstructed.  You got downgraded and deserve compensation.

31 minutes ago, BabsinTX said:

I'd keep pestering them (in a nice way) daily until you get action.  Speak with the Guest Services manager and the Hotel Manager if need be.  And ask for the name and email of the Princess VP in charge of hotel management and write them, too.  You most certainly have an obstructed cabin, and your ship's deck plans almost certainly lists your cabin  as obstructed.  You got downgraded and deserve compensation.

I appreciate the words. The deck plans Do Not list is as obstructed - which is where the argument comes in. But we will survive and hope they do us right by it. 

• Like 1

@krufrank It looks like you may be in L202 on the Emerald.  Unfortunately Princess classifies those as category BF.  They do not classify any balcony rooms on ships prior to Royal Class as specifically being obstructed.  If you booked their lowest "let us choose your room" option for a balcony you are agreeing to be berthed in any room category BF or higher.  In that regards Princess has met their obligation and quite frankly they do not owe you any compensation.  

Would it be nice if they did something, sure, and I hope they do but reality is that they met their end of the bargain with this cabin assignment.  I'm not trying to be unempathetic, but just pointing out the realities of the situation.

• Like 6

I don’t see where you got an obstructed view. From what I understand, obstructed view means there is a lifeboat in the direct view of you seeing the water. You can stand on the balcony and see perfectly fine. Honestly, I have to agree with AtlantaCruiser and I don’t feel you are owed any compensation. Sorry.

3 hours ago, FTLCruiseGal said:

I don’t see where you got an obstructed view. From what I understand, obstructed view means there is a lifeboat in the direct view of you seeing the water. You can stand on the balcony and see perfectly fine. Honestly, I have to agree with AtlantaCruiser and I don’t feel you are owed any compensation. Sorry.

Not true.  Obstructions can be a pole, a post, lifeboats or obstructions of lifeboats to the right or left, the promenade below, metal balconies, as per PCL descriptions.

PCL also lists cabins with those metal balconies as obstructions in many of their descriptions. When you click on the details, it will be shown in red print.

• Like 1

The caveat here is the OP is on a  ship where Princess does not sell any specific category as obstructed.  If they are in the room I think they are in then they booked and paid for a category BF and were assigned a BF.  While some BF rooms do indeed have a solid steel railing they are sold at the same price as those with clear railings on this ship.    

If one does not want the risk of a stateroom location/feature/view they would be unhappy with then Princess does allow choosing your room at booking, in a higher category, for increased cost.  If you choose to book a guarantee you agree to take what Princess gives you within the meta category you book.  That's where the conversation begins and ends really.

Here is the end of this story. They had a balcony room come available and offered it to us on Day 3. At that point, we thanked them but said we didn’t want to repack and move. 

1. Being on the Lido deck at the front of ship was great for us. Might not be for all, for us very nice. 

2. The balcony was covered and protected us from the elements and provided much shade. We liked that. 

3. They confirmed it WAS partially obstructed due to being metal and not plexiglass siding. That said, we could see, barely, over the railing and see water. They gave us $300 additional OBC for our troubles. 

We were never going to let it ruin our vacation and Princess did a good job at remedying the situation. 

We had a wonderful cruise. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, krufrank said:

Here is the end of this story. They had a balcony room come available and offered it to us on Day 3. At that point, we thanked them but said we didn’t want to repack and move. 

1. Being on the Lido deck at the front of ship was great for us. Might not be for all, for us very nice. 

2. The balcony was covered and protected us from the elements and provided much shade. We liked that. 

3. They confirmed it WAS partially obstructed due to being metal and not plexiglass siding. That said, we could see, barely, over the railing and see water. They gave us $300 additional OBC for our troubles. 

We were never going to let it ruin our vacation and Princess did a good job at remedying the situation. 

We had a wonderful cruise. 

Kindness and understanding … rewarded with kindness and understanding. I don’t hate this outcome at all. 

• Like 3