New pricing/booking process on web site

CJANDH

It seems that SS may be testing (or transitioning to) a new way of pricing a cruise on their website. First, they have you click through various choices such as number of passengers and your choice of their three pricing option (DtoD, DtoD without  flights or Port to Port) Then you are presented with a choice of suites that are shown  as "Total Price" rather than per person. The link below should take you to an example for the July 4, 2024 Spirit cruise Reykjavik to Reykjavik.

https://quote.silversea.com/v3/SL240704010?guests=A2-K0&airfare=DoorToDoor-flights--Economy&gateway=DoorToDoor-flights--ABQ

Interesting way of showing pricing for various options. Will be watching to see if this will be a change for all cruises.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CJANDH said:

It seems that SS may be testing (or transitioning to) a new way of pricing a cruise on their website. First, they have you click through various choices such as number of passengers and your choice of their three pricing option (DtoD, DtoD without  flights or Port to Port) Then you are presented with a choice of suites that are shown  as "Total Price" rather than per person. The link below should take you to an example for the July 4, 2024 Spirit cruise Reykjavik to Reykjavik.

https://quote.silversea.com/v3/SL240704010?guests=A2-K0&airfare=DoorToDoor-flights--Economy&gateway=DoorToDoor-flights--ABQ

Interesting way of showing pricing for various options. Will be watching to see if this will be a change for all cruises.

I would still let my TA do everything and quote me all price options.

I would not book directly with the cruise line.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

I would still let my TA do everything and quote me all price options.  I would not book directly with the cruise line.

But, isn't the overall market trend being that the cruise lines want more "direct to them bookings" in order to lessen what they pay out to travel agents?  In listening this past week to the Royal Caribbean executives during their quarterly report, they were bragging about the growth in on-line bookings as a way to higher profits and better margins.  With younger passengers who are more used to doing everything on-line, they seem to see TA's as less and less of their future connection to new customers.   

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TLCOhio said:

But, isn't the overall market trend being that the cruise lines want more "direct to them bookings" in order to lessen what they pay out to travel agents?  In listening this past week to the Royal Caribbean executives during their quarterly report, they were bragging about the growth in on-line bookings as a way to higher profits and better margins.  With younger passengers who are more used to doing everything on-line, they seem to see TA's as less and less of their future connection to new customers.   

Then let the young Bucks do everything on line.

I personally don't like to operate this way and as we all know a good TA is worth every penny when you need help with something that goes wrong.

I see what the cruise lines might want to happen but they rely heavily on TA's to give them the majority of their business.

• Like 3

Whoa!

Since when do executives at the head offices of cruise lines know what is best for passengers? This forum is chocker block of complaints caused by the head offices of cruise lines who are responsible for their policies and rollouts of “innovations” they want to upsell. (Hint: no need to think too hard about it.)

Now that that’s outta the way the other viable answer is TAs. Or at least that’s my opinion and that of many other long term luxury sector cruisers. Our TAs know us, we trust them: great relationship.

Now, what were you saying about these “executives”?

Happy and healthy sailing!

9 minutes ago, markham said:

Whoa!

Since when do executives at the head offices of cruise lines know what is best for passengers? This forum is chocker block of complaints caused by the head offices of cruise lines who are responsible for their policies and rollouts of “innovations” they want to upsell. (Hint: no need to think too hard about it.)

Now that that’s outta the way the other viable answer is TAs. Or at least that’s my opinion and that of many other long term luxury sector cruisers. Our TAs know us, we trust them: great relationship.

Now, what were you saying about these “executives”?

Happy and healthy sailing!

Coutts Bank anyone?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Then let the young Bucks do everything on line.  I personally don't like to operate this way and as we all know a good TA is worth every penny when you need help with something that goes wrong.  I see what the cruise lines might want to happen but they rely heavily on TA's to give them the majority of their business.

Agree 100% that a "good TA" is very valuable and can be well worth it. We use a skilled and experienced TA who has traveled all over the world and offers important insights, wisdom, background, suggestions, etc.  A "real pro" is great and helpful!!!

BUT, many TA these days are only "order takers" who have not done that much in the more interesting and unique parts of the world that we seek to explore.  The challenge is in finding a "good TA".  Not always easy or simple.  You have to ask the right questions to make such potential TA's know what they are doing and offering.  

Would be interested if there is any data to document how much of the cruise bookings these days comes through TA's . . . versus . . . on-line and with cruise line captive agents/reps?  What has been the trend and shifts with these bookings?   Where is the market placed headed, especially with younger and first-time cruisers?

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 248,131 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

2 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Agree 100% that a "good TA" is very valuable and can be well worth it. We use a skilled and experienced TA who has traveled all over the world and offers important insights, wisdom, background, suggestions, etc.  A "real pro" is great and helpful!!!

BUT, many TA these days are only "order takers" who have not done that much in the more interesting and unique parts of the world that we seek to explore.  The challenge is in finding a "good TA".  Not always easy or simple.  You have to ask the right questions to make such potential TA's know what they are doing and offering.  

Would be interested if there is any data to document how much of the cruise bookings these days comes through TA's . . . versus . . . on-line and with cruise line captive agents/reps?  What has been the trend and shifts with these bookings?   Where is the market placed headed, especially with younger and first-time cruisers?

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 248,131 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

Terry,

I doubt that cruise lines would ever publish any data giving us a clear view of how bookings are made up.

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

They are hoping folks won’t know any better

38 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

But, isn't the overall market trend being that the cruise lines want more "direct to them bookings" in order to lessen what they pay out to travel agents?

I think this may be true for the mass market sales.  For the higher maintenance SS sales I believe they still prefer that customers go through TA's. They simply do not have enough staff to handle the calls. Certainly not enough staff that has enough knowledge to answer questions accurately. 

9 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

I think this may be true for the mass market sales.  For the higher maintenance SS sales I believe they still prefer that customers go through TA's. They simply do not have enough staff to handle the calls. Certainly not enough staff that has enough knowledge to answer questions accurately. 

YES!!  Super great comments and follow-ups from Mr Luxury, bitop and highplanesdrifters.   Major differences in so many ways for the "Mass Market" lines versus smaller-ship, more luxury companies such as Silversea.  Will try to search and ask to see if there is any data out there for this question.  Agree that certain of data is closely guarded.  

The cruise lines, such as Royal Caribbean, tell the TA's that they are highly important.  BUT, they are working hard at the same time to encourage more on-line bookings and using the web to get customers to sign up for tours, spa, extra-cost dining, etc., in advance.  I heard that "do it yourself on the web" message several times during this past week's RCL briefing to the Wall Street analysts.  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 244,628 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

As to these issues and questions for TA's and their future, I did some quick web searching. Then, I was reminded of a huge, looming factor facing travelers and TA's.  It's called AI or Artificial Intelligence.  Right or wrong?  Love it or hate it?  

From this cruise industry news website last week, they had this headline: New AI-Powered Travel Agent Tools with these highlights:Mondee announced the launch of Travel Marketplace featuring Abhi, its AI-powered travel assistant platform that simplifies the cruise booking process.   Mondee’s Marketplace features an integrated cruises platform allowing users to easily browse and book a cruise of their choice. The mobile-first solution was designed to instantaneously create personalized travel suggestions based on a user’s interests so they can instantly book their favorite vacation. Abhi is capable to engage in conversations, understands complex queries and can offer comprehensive responses.

Will this new AI software really help the consumer in meaningful ways or just allow corporate/agency owners to hire less experienced and lower-skilled staff to be only "order-takers"?

Thing about the word I heard a long time ago as related to a growing trend called: "disintermediation".  Heard that word previously?? It occurs whenever a step in the supply chain is eliminated. A consumer calls a hotel directly to make a reservation rather than booking through a website or a travel agent. A retailer orders directly from a manufacturer rather than a sales representative for a local distributor.  Isn't Amazon all about "disintermediation"??  Look what has happened to retail, "brick-and-mortar" stores!!

Full story at:

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/07/mondee-introduces-new-ai-powered-travel-agent-tools/

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 105,450 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

3 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

I would still let my TA do everything and quote me all price options.

I would not book directly with the cruise line.

My point in posting this information was not to suggest anyone uses it to book a cruise instead of using a trusted TA. It was to show that the new program allows you to quickly check out the final price for a cruise under various booking scenarios. While I always use my TA to make a booking, I like to explore options on line myself to determine which cruise line is offering the best value for an itinerary I am interested in.

• Like 3

@TLCOhio

The old tiered distribution chain as we knew it was broken many years ago in some industries when distributors ceased stocking product and ceased to be knowledge experts about the lines they sold.  Little if any value added after that.

As long as good TAs can provide a personal and knowledgeable service, and know how to promote their business from within a sea of "order takers", they should continue to do well.

I can pose a question to my TA and receive an accurate answer with a minimum of my own time spent, and receive a 'bonus' from my TA to boot. 

• Like 1

The cruise lines so far have decided TAs are worthwhile. How long it will last no one knows. When the cruise lines are done with them, they will do what the airlines did and simply stop paying commissions. Then the TAs will have to decide if they want to charge customers a fee or fold up shop. The consumer then will have to make a choice. Currently, corporate travel agents are paid either salaries or fees where a few decades ago they relied on commissions. Things are always changing. 

• Like 1

I usually research my own stuff and half the time have to explain it to my TA (e.g., on board booking benefits.)  I would book directly if I would get the same OBC and Perks that I get through the TA.  If the Cruise line would offer that I'd probably just book online.  However, the cruise consultants from SS don't always know the answers either or provide wrong answers.  My TA does provide a service when i want to change something like a cabin number and I don't have the ability to do that without calling.

22 hours ago, canderson said:

@TLCOhio

The old tiered distribution chain as we knew it was broken many years ago in some industries when distributors ceased stocking product and ceased to be knowledge experts about the lines they sold.  Little if any value added after that.   As long as good TAs can provide a personal and knowledgeable service, and know how to promote their business from within a sea of "order takers", they should continue to do well.    I can pose a question to my TA and receive an accurate answer with a minimum of my own time spent, and receive a 'bonus' from my TA to boot. 

Great above follow-ups from canderson, JSR and Lonedaddy.   What happened with airlines could be coming in the future as a cost-savings tactic by the cruise line bean-counters.  

From listening to the many quarterly reviews with the Wall Street analysts, the CEO's and CFO's are focused on cutting costs and saving money.  Lots of debt to be paid off.  Every penny must be pinched without making too obvious.  

Sad, but true, as to the comment of "the cruise consultants from SS don't always know the answers either or provide wrong answers."   Some are good or OK, others not as much.  Lots of new, less experienced people answering the phones at many cruise lines. 

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 72,277 views:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2076101-live-amazon-river-caribbean-many-pix’s-terryohio/

A good TA can be worth the fee they charge. We actually have a TA for cruises and sometimes hotels as they are excellent for cruises and can get some very good hotel rates. However they are not very knowledgeable  when it comes to airfares.

So we have another TA for any complicated trips as he knows various fares that are never advertised by the airlines and is worth every penny of his $A200 fee. For example we are flying first class from Sydney to Singapore where the advertised cheapest return fares on the airline sites are ~$A7400 for BA and QF and over $A8500 for the others. One OTA advertises a BA fare of $A6975.

We are paying $A7200 on BA which includes the agents fee. However it includes a circle Asia fare in business class and we are flying to Taiwan, Japan and Thailand as well for that fare,

• Like 2

We see many posts here about customers who are loyal to their TAs for both their knowledge and services and for the rebates/rewards/kickbacks of commission they get from their TA. I do wonder how many would stick with their TA if, instead of getting 5-10% off the cruise fare, they paid the cruise line's price plus 10% for their TA's services. In the short term, some people would pay, but over time, I think a lot of TAs would be out of the cruise business. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

I do wonder how many would stick with their TA if, instead of getting 5-10% off the cruise fare, they paid the cruise line's price plus 10% for their TA's services.

My guess, < 10%.  From most of the people I’ve spoken with who get kick backs, they usually do all the work anyway.  They just book with a particular agent because of the kickback.