Oceania Riviera Review, July 2023

PinonNoir

26 minutes ago, PinonNoir said:

I've sailed on Insignia, Regatta and Riviera.  If my next cruise on Insignia in October is anything like this last cruise, I'll be shopping for another line.  Particularly if they skip a port!

Speaking of skipping a port, we are in Husavik, Iceland today, and we visited the Husavik Whale Museum.  They are showing a documentary in the museum about the Faroe Islands and the slaughter of pilot whales in 2021.  I found it particularly interesting based on our recent experience of skipping the islands.  It's called "Bloody Tradition, Agree to Disagree", made just last year, and well worth watching.

20230803_131848_resized.thumb.jpg.266ca14f3f01f62b14d3e54ff2f98bc5.jpg

Hope your next cruise lives up to expectations!

If not, then  there are other small cruise ships available!

You pay your money and you take your chance!

• Like 2

Dear Oceania; How about this as a reasonable compromise? If you don’t want to go into a port for political reasons, I have no problem with that. Your ship.  In this case, the whale hunts are scheduled and advertised years in advance. Just don’t advertise you’re going into that port, on that cruise, during that period!! How hard is that?

However, imo, it’s totally bull crap to schedule and advertise a port, during a period you want to skip, then cancel the port on the cruise without early notification. It’s unprofessional and borders on fake advertising.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Dear Oceania; How about this as a reasonable compromise? If you don’t want to go into a port for political reasons, I have no problem with that. Your ship.  In this case, the whale hunts are scheduled and advertised years in advance. Just don’t advertise you’re going into that port, on that cruise, during that period!! How hard is that?

However, imo, it’s totally bull crap to schedule and advertise a port, during a period you want to skip, then cancel the port on the cruise without early notification. It’s unprofessional and borders on fake advertising.

Plus 1.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

FYI

No one from O is reading this board....send any messages to them directly

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jancruz said:

FYI

No one from O is reading this board....send any messages to them directly

Jancruz1

I totally realize that Oceania could care less about what’s posted here. You should have heard all the complaints from passengers signing up for O shorexs where the tour description in no way reflects the actual tour. Sights that had been closed for years still being advertised was a common complaint. If Oceania ran tours to Paris, they’d still be advertising visiting the Notre Dame and its pre fire treasures. P. T.  Barnum IV must oversee their scheduling and shorexs for Jr.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2023 at 4:35 AM, Hanoj said:

Some of the tour operators offer excursions into North Wales from Liverpool.

Indeed.

A couple of months ago we were docked in Holyhead.

Our tour through parts of Snowdonia stopped for lunch at the lovely little village of Betws-y-Coed.

In the car park I saw a small tour bus with a Regent sign.

Their ship was docked in Liverpool.

On 7/30/2023 at 4:44 AM, PinonNoir said:

Actually my comment was more of curiosity regarding dress code enforcement. I would prefer to wear jeans myself, but opted to remain respectful to the code. I'd be happy if they changed the rule to allow clean un-torn jeans. We are spending three extra weeks in Iceland and I'd have preferred to not have to pack dress pants that I won't use the rest of the trip.

The Oceania website specifically requests "casual jeans" not be worn in the dining room and specialty venues in the evenings.  To me, this would indicate that nicer, designer jeans are welcome in the evenings.  While I typically wear a dress to dinner my husband will often wear designer jeans with a collared shirt, a blazer, and dress shoes.  He always looks great, and in fact looks more put together than some others who are in chinos or slacks. 

6 hours ago, We're The Groupnors said:

The Oceania website specifically requests "casual jeans" not be worn in the dining room and specialty venues in the evenings.  To me, this would indicate that nicer, designer jeans are welcome in the evenings.  While I typically wear a dress to dinner my husband will often wear designer jeans with a collared shirt, a blazer, and dress shoes.  He always looks great, and in fact looks more put together than some others who are in chinos or slacks. 

Exactly, I just don't know what it is that people don't get about this, and add all kinds of personal opinions to the dress code. 

• Like 2

On 8/3/2023 at 10:56 PM, Vineyard View said:

It’s a great way to keep a pulse on their customers. 

Not statistically. CC forum contributors form a very tiny percentage of O's customers. My guess is also that we probably do not form a particularly representative sample of those customers - regular users of forums tend to be more committed to the subject than a wider group who have an interest in it. I reckon O probably gets more useful feedback from its end of cruise surveys than it ever would from reading this forum. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Harters said:

Not statistically. CC forum contributors form a very tiny percentage of O's customers. My guess is also that we probably do not form a particularly representative sample of those customers - regular users of forums tend to be more committed to the subject than a wider group who have an interest in it. I reckon O probably gets more useful feedback from its end of cruise surveys than it ever would from reading this forum. 

I am sure that you are absolutely correct. Statistically we may not be important, but social media, including CC and other sites, are an inside look at the way their current and future customers are feeling about their product. It is a growing segment, rather than diminishing. if this social media segment has someone listening from the company, and even responding, I believe it would be received positively and would be beneficial to both sides. I honestly have seen this before in this industry. 
I agree that end of cruise surveys are important….if the company pays attention to them and acts accordingly. An element that end of cruise surveys do not collect are prospective customers.
I guess my thoughts are that there could be important nuggets gathered from CC and other social media sites for cruise lines to notice trends with current and prospective customers, that would provide competitive and other information that an end of cruise survey does not provide. But to your point, statistically we are probably small fish in a large sea. 

On 9/12/2023 at 1:52 PM, We're The Groupnors said:

Dress code has been discussed here ad nauseam but I have to say that it's not being enforced.  On my  Nautica cruise last month I saw a man in the GDR wearing casual everyday jeans at dinner. Definitely not nice designer jeans.   Another night I saw a woman in the GDR wearing extremely short shorts and some sort of tight-fitting tank top that I couldn't quite figure out what it was. I could not believe they let her in. I guess it was because of her fashionable shoes. It seems like just about anything goes as to what is accepted for dinner.

• Like 2

I do not think any Ship/cruise line currently has the fortitude to deny any passengers entry to a dining facility, except Cunard. But, cruising is now so ubiquitous that what maybe acceptable to some and  absolutely unacceptable to others is so debatable. “Country Club casual” means nothing to those who have never been part of a “country club” and understand the dress code

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2023 at 6:46 PM, 1985rz1 said:

Let us know the outcome.

I wanted to give an update on the claim I filed with my credit card regarding the $2000+ I lost on my Faroe Islands tour this past July.  The company Visa uses, eclaimsline.com, is run by Allianz Insurance.  My initial claim was denied, with eclaimsline stating that the guide I hired was not a common carrier.  I appealed based on info from the guide company, and was denied two more times before they stopped communicating with me entirely.  Emails to various folks at Allianz insurance went unanswered.

I then filed a claim with the California Department of Insurance, who surprisingly were on the case immediately.  I sent them all of my info, and they filed a claim for me with Allianz.  A few weeks later, a person higher up from Chubb Insurance (I guess they own Allianz?) again denied me, yet they ignored one of the emails I forwarded from Guide to Faroe Islands.  When I asked why they ignored that email, the claims agent with the state of California also asked for clarification and indicated it was part of their file.

They finally acknowledged that email, stating that Guide to Faroe Islands is indeed a "Common Carrier", and overturned their denial three days ago, and have sent me a check.

It took three months of back and forth, but in the end it was worthwhile.  Bottom line, don't mess with retired people who have time on their hands.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, PinonNoir said:

I wanted to give an update on the claim I filed with my credit card regarding the $2000+ I lost on my Faroe Islands tour this past July.  The company Visa uses, eclaimsline.com, is run by Allianz Insurance.  My initial claim was denied, with eclaimsline stating that the guide I hired was not a common carrier.  I appealed based on info from the guide company, and was denied two more times before they stopped communicating with me entirely.  Emails to various folks at Allianz insurance went unanswered.

I then filed a claim with the California Department of Insurance, who surprisingly were on the case immediately.  I sent them all of my info, and they filed a claim for me with Allianz.  A few weeks later, a person higher up from Chubb Insurance (I guess they own Allianz?) again denied me, yet they ignored one of the emails I forwarded from Guide to Faroe Islands.  When I asked why they ignored that email, the claims agent with the state of California also asked for clarification and indicated it was part of their file.

They finally acknowledged that email, stating that Guide to Faroe Islands is indeed a "Common Carrier", and overturned their denial three days ago, and have sent me a check.

It took three months of back and forth, but in the end it was worthwhile.  Bottom line, don't mess with retired people who have time on their hands.

@PinonNoir That is OUTSTANDING.  I love your line at the end.

"Bottom line, don't mess with retired people who have time on their hands."

You have given a GREAT example of "Never Giving Up" when you know you are right.  Bravo.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PinonNoir said:

I'm not sure which emogi I should post..a thank you or a laughing one.  But either way, thanks for the update.  It was informative.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PinonNoir said:

I then filed a claim with the California Department of Insurance, who surprisingly were on the case immediately.  

I had a similar experience, also involving Allianz, after canceling an O cruise due to my husband’s advanced Alzheimer’s. Turns out they consider dementia to be a “mental condition” & not covered as pre-existing. Within a couple days after filing with CA Dept of Insurance I was notified they would pay since his physician’s letter stated he had a neurological condition.

Love your last paragraph PinonNoir. We didn’t get to where we are by being shrinking violets.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Vertygo said:

I had a similar experience, also involving Allianz, after canceling an O cruise due to my husband’s advanced Alzheimer’s. Turns out they consider dementia to be a “mental condition” & not covered as pre-existing. Within a couple days after filing with CA Dept of Insurance I was notified they would pay since his physician’s letter stated he had a neurological condition.

Love your last paragraph PinonNoir. We didn’t get to where we are by being shrinking violets.

Who would have thought the California Department of Insurance would be so effective!?!

BTW, I sent my contact there a glowing "thank you" note and told her to please forward it to her supervisor.  I give a lot of grief to government employees,  but this incident impressed the hell out of me!

• Like 5

16 hours ago, PinonNoir said:

Glad to hear it all worked out.  I too enjoyed your last line!

• Thanks 1