Whatever Happened to the Deck Chair Hogs?

koolZip

There was a time when the issue of cruisers claiming empty deck chairs by simply putting a book or towel on it, was a heated issue on these boards. With the return to cruising now in full swing, and ships are sailing at full capacity, is this still an issue or is everyone "over it"? The same question with the formal night wars. Not looking to start anything, I'm just curious if people have simply moved on from these formerly hot topics.

3 hours ago, mom says said:

They're still there. But the hot topics now seem to cluster around lower quality meals in the dining rooms, high prices, new extra charges, and reduction in loyalty perks.

Which are all facets of the cruise lines’ efforts to improve their bottom lines by raising obvious prices, sneaking in extra fees, and reducing the cost of what they do provide (read: slash quality).  

The mass market cruise line have largely destroyed the product they are still pretending to offer.

• Like 3

On 8/5/2023 at 1:27 PM, koolZip said:

There was a time when the issue of cruisers claiming empty deck chairs by simply putting a book or towel on it, was a heated issue on these boards. With the return to cruising now in full swing, and ships are sailing at full capacity, is this still an issue or is everyone "over it"? The same question with the formal night wars. Not looking to start anything, I'm just curious if people have simply moved on from these formerly hot topics.

They were replaced by Chair Bullies, who are people that sleep until noon and then come to the pool deck and expect to get a prime lounger location and bully people until they get what they want.

Didn't notice much of this on celebrity. Though on sea days those arriving early afternoon seemed not to find a spot. But it wasn't many folk from what I saw.

It might have been worse pool side but we avoid these forced fun areas.

Edited by DarrenM
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I have to ask.

What are formal night wars?

There was a time, pre-Covid, when the pros and cons of formal nights and what to wear, ignited some pretty heated debate here. People who violated the dress code in the MDR on formal nights were roundly criticized by those who adhered to the rules. Verbal combat could take place across multiple threads on a good day.

The mods often had to tamp down the flare-ups. Formal night rules were enforced unevenly, which only prompted more skirmishes. But now it seems lines are moving away from formal night altogether, so that may be why the issue is no longer so heated.

19 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

They were replaced by Chair Bullies, who are people that sleep until noon and then come to the pool deck and expect to get a prime lounger location and bully people until they get what they want.

You're being facetious, right? Is that really happening?

9 hours ago, koolZip said:

There was a time, pre-Covid, when the pros and cons of formal nights and what to wear, ignited some pretty heated debate here. People who violated the dress code in the MDR on formal nights were roundly criticized by those who adhered to the rules. Verbal combat could take place across multiple threads on a good day.

The mods often had to tamp down the flare-ups. Formal night rules were enforced unevenly, which only prompted more skirmishes. But now it seems lines are moving away from formal night altogether, so that may be why the issue is no longer so heated.

And it was not just formal nights, dress code in the MDR in general has been a frequent bone of contention, leading to long acrimonious threads.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

No I’m being serious .  Experienced it on too many Carnival cruises in the past.  

Tell us about it. I've never had anyone attempt to bully me out of a deck chair. Exactly how did it happen and what did you do about it? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

No I’m being serious .  Experienced it on too many Carnival cruises in the past.  

You have to get up at 7:00 am to get a chair on Carnival. Does not matter I don't book that crude cruise line anymore. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, K32682 said:

Tell us about it. I've never had anyone attempt to bully me out of a deck chair. Exactly how did it happen and what did you do about it? 

Probably me. I don't bully anyone but if the chair has been empty 20 minutes I put the stuff on a table and move the chair 10 feet. They come back two hours later and look confused. 🤗

• Haha 1

On 8/5/2023 at 12:27 PM, koolZip said:

People have figured out if that you can't stop them so they have become chair hogs themselves. If you can't beat them join them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Probably me. I don't bully anyone but if the chair has been empty 20 minutes I put the stuff on a table and move the chair 10 feet. They come back two hours later and look confused. 🤗

I love it!

On 8/5/2023 at 1:27 PM, koolZip said:

They are still there in all of their glory

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I wouldn't consider that "bullying." If you leave it, you lose it. 

12 hours ago, K32682 said:

To make a long story short, it’s always been on Carnival.  We would have gotten to the pool deck early.  When moon comes, people start swarming the deck.  My wife was in the pool for a quick dip and the people start trying to take her chair, even though i’m in my chair and telling them it’s my wife’s chair.  They stand there and still try to take it regardless.  I raise my voice a bit again telling them it’s taken.  Fortunately they back off but usually with snide comments and a dirty look.

Basically there’s are entitled  people who sleep till noon and expect the seas to part and for people to give up their chairs.

Its happened on multiple cruises and we’re quite sick of this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Its happened on multiple cruises and we’re quite sick of this.

I have been on many cruises and it has ever happened to me. Probably because I am not a chair hog…..

If people with me are on a toilet run and someone asks if the chair is free they always accepted my answer. Maybe because I don’t act bothered that they asked? 

14 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I have been on many cruises and it has ever happened to me. Probably because I am not a chair hog…..

If people with me are on a toilet run and someone asks if the chair is free they always accepted my answer. Maybe because I don’t act bothered that they asked? 

Same here. People might ask but I've never had a negative encounter when I've politely explained it's the chair my wife is using and she will be back shortly. 

On 8/8/2023 at 8:58 PM, Charles4515 said:

Well we were polite as possible until they ignored our claim and tried to take the chair anyway.

I’m glad you haven’t experienced this behavior.

Basically entitled people sleeping till noon and expecting the lido deck to open up to them