Embarkation day - what's available to us before we have cabin access?

gluttonfp

I'm boarding at 11, and the cabin isn't expected to be ready for a few hours as far as I understand. Is there anyplace we can change clothes if we want to use the pool before we have access to our cabin? I'll be on HAL Noordam.

I believe the point to the staggered embarkation times was to have the appropriate banks of cabins ready when that group was given their embarkation times. Instead of the former random embarkation times, that required everyone  wait for the call onboard, that the cabins were finally ready later. . 

I have never boarded a HAL ship and not had my cabin available to at least “drop and go”.  Pools are open, spa and specialty dining are making reservations, MDR is open for a short window usually 12 - 1, the lido is open.  You might even be able to buy your wine packages and internet packages.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Over the past 5 plus years our cabin has been ready when we boarded (usually at 11:30 am).  We drop our carryons off, use the safe, put away a few items and off we go.  We go to book whenever reservations we need to do and then lunch in the MDR.  After that, luggage is most times in our cabin so we unpack and then do the muster drill.

36 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

You might even be able to buy your wine packages and internet packages.  

Purchasing the internet package only requires that you have access to the ship's wifi network. I have purchased it in the past from the terminal (FLL) while waiting to board the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Even if your cabin isn't ready, you can drop your bags and will definitely have access to the restrooms by the pool.

As others have said, you can also grab lunch and do other "business" related tasks. 

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

2 hours ago, gluttonfp said:

I'm boarding at 11, and the cabin isn't expected to be ready for a few hours as far as I understand. Is there anyplace we can change clothes if we want to use the pool before we have access to our cabin? I'll be on HAL Noordam.

I think you probably have a check in time of 11, not a boarding time.

Quite likely the cabin will be ready by noon, if not sooner. Probably sooner.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Purchasing the internet package only requires that you have access to the ship's wifi network. I have purchased it in the past from the terminal (FLL) while waiting to board the ship.

Hi Rich,

This is good to know. 

Question, do you know if it is cheaper to purchase the internt package pre-cruise?

I can't remember if I ever saw a definative answer. 

TIA.

As a couple of others have said, your stated 11:00 AM is a check-in time; not a boarding time. Boarding usually begins at 11:30, which is when the stewards have finished lunch, and wheelchair pushers become available. Cabins usually are ready then, too. That's ALL cabins! Even those of us in the cheap seats can go and unpack our carry-ons! 

There is plenty to keep me occupied before I can even get up to the Lido for lunch, but for anyone who wants to swim, the restrooms near the pool would suffice, but please don't tie them up too long, as they are usually 1-holers. There are showers near the pool to rinse off before getting in/out. 
You could also try to use the dressing rooms in the spa area. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

Question, do you know if it is cheaper to purchase the internt package pre-cruise?

The Premium Internet package is less expensive when purchased pre-cruise than if it is purchased on board. It is the only package available for purchase pre-cruise. Either way is more expensive than the surf package, so unless you need to stream, you can wait until after you are on the ship. 

• Thanks 2

On 8/6/2023 at 10:37 AM, flamingos said:

We carry on a backpack/beach bag with our swimwear in it. Tradition is to be in the pool with the first frozen drink before we set sail.  

And before the chair hogs can reserve all the chairs. LOL