Transfer hotel to ship

shipsmail

Hi.  On several  occasions, we independently booked accommodation at the same pre/post cruise hotel as utilized by Silversea.   We did not use (or want to use) the Silversea transfers.

If you want to use the Silversea transfers, that would need to be prebooked via Silversea before departure and generally these types of service are available (on an a la carte basis) but sometime they are not. - reach out to Silversea (or your travel agent) to see if these transfers are available and determine the cost involved.  This service cannot be arranged "on demand"  at the airport: Silversea would need your flight arrival number and time in advance and no one ""on the ground"" can handle payments.  We have discovered that Silversea is rather expensive with ancillary products such as this and you probably are better off booking transfers on your own.

In CPH, we used a company called limos4copenhagen (booked online) for a CPH airport to Marriott hotel transfer and had very good service and excellent vehicles.  We have also used Blackstone in the Scandinavian countries (recently for a Stockholm airport direct to cruise ship transfer) and was pleased; we discovered that local private car/limo services are limited at these destinations.  Private car service/limos are rather expensive in Copenhagen, Stockholm, etc. but it was worth it as we do not travel light, taxi vehicles are smaller in Europe (that said every second car in Denmark now seems to be a Tesla), and having a luxury van waiting for us that can take us plus our luggage without a drama or discussions just makes life easier.  

I hope this helps.

11 hours ago, shipsmail said:

We have booked our hotel in CPH before our cruise by ourselves and by coincidence it seems to be the same hotel Silversea is using. Do you think we can use their transfer to the ship? Any experience with that?

There should be an SS service desk in the lobby of the hotel starting the morning before the cruise--you could always ask there upon arrival, and if you don't like what you hear, you could always then book a (likely cheaper) taxi or other transportation to the ship through the hotel concierge.

• 4 weeks later...

How about an update if anyone knows about booking ship to airport SS transfer on last day of cruise.   I called my SS rep and she thought you could book that onboard.  It would be Tokyo to Narita. We are doing our own air, business class with miles as the SS upgrade was an additional $14,000 for both of us. 

Usually, about half way through your cruise you will receive in your cabin a piece of paper with all the post cruise transport options - you fill in what you want and hand it in.

This will almost certainly include transfer to airports in the vicinity.

However, be aware that SS charges per person and the cost isn't trivial. It may be worth investigating availability and cost for a taxi since that charge is per car.

Which is preferable depends on your own comfort level, how many in your party, availability of taxis and how far it is to the airport.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Brad1185 said:

How about an update if anyone knows about booking ship to airport SS transfer on last day of cruise.   I called my SS rep and she thought you could book that onboard.  It would be Tokyo to Narita. We are doing our own air, business class with miles as the SS upgrade was an additional $14,000 for both of us. 

I booked ship to airport transfer in Copenhagen while on the ship last month.  There are options for early and late flights, the latter including a city tour or similar.  It was worth the price to me. If I had taken a taxi on disembarking, I would have been sitting at the airport for hours with my luggage before being allowed to check in.

On Muse next month I have booked door to door, so the transfer and tour will be included. Any passenger can book on the same transfer for a fee.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mahogany said:

Couldn’t book hotel with SS for November crossing because I booked Air independently.

Is that a change in policy or just this cruise?   In the past, before the door-to-door or port-to-port options, we always booked our own flights but occasionally have used Silversea hotels without an issue.  Our next cruise we went full door-to-door for the first because the quote we got for the air portion was very close to what we could book ourselves and it just seemed simpler and cleaner to let Silversea handle all the arrangements.  The future cruise consultant sold us on the full package.  Again, this will be our first cruise using that option and we didn’t research all the ins and outs while on the Dawn.   

24 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

Is that a change in policy or just this cruise?   In the past, before the door-to-door or port-to-port options, we always booked our own flights but occasionally have used Silversea hotels without an issue.  Our next cruise we went full door-to-door for the first because the quote we got for the air portion was very close to what we could book ourselves and it just seemed simpler and cleaner to let Silversea handle all the arrangements.  The future cruise consultant sold us on the full package.  Again, this will be our first cruise using that option and we didn’t research all the ins and outs while on the Dawn.   

I’m currently on Dawn and booked d2d but deviated Air so lost out on airport-hotel-ship transfers and was told no credit for unused transfers except Blacklane, so for Dawn in November and Silver Ray next fall, I’m doing p2p. I understand days sailed on p2p don’t count toward benefits, so I guess I’ll never get to 350 days for a free cruise. 😏 BTW, I have a free cruise with Seabourn after 150 days - big difference.

I think comparing SS air vs DIY is valid when looking at d2d or p2p, but Air on a crossing for a U.S. passenger isn’t as dear as Europe both ways.

32 minutes ago, Mahogany said:

I’m currently on Dawn and booked d2d but deviated Air so lost out on airport-hotel-ship transfers and was told no credit for unused transfers except Blacklane, so for Dawn in November and Silver Ray next fall, I’m doing p2p. I understand days sailed on p2p don’t count toward benefits, so I guess I’ll never get to 350 days for a free cruise. 😏 BTW, I have a free cruise with Seabourn after 150 days - big difference.

I think comparing SS air vs DIY is valid when looking at d2d or p2p, but Air on a crossing for a U.S. passenger isn’t as dear as Europe both ways.

I’m confused about the port-to-port days not counting toward benefits. Some postings state that while others say they do count.  Both sides say they have asked Silversea/their TA so which is it?   🤔

1 hour ago, Mahogany said:

I’m currently on Dawn and booked d2d but deviated Air so lost out on airport-hotel-ship transfers and was told no credit for unused transfers except Blacklane, so for Dawn in November and Silver Ray next fall, I’m doing p2p.

Another data point:  We will be on Dawn in November and will be arriving 4 days ahead, not the usual max 3 that SS allows.  We paid the $150 for the deviation, and booked our 1st night at the same hotel that SS booked for us for the 3 ahead ... and they have agreed to have is picked up at the airport for hotel transfer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Another data point:  We will be on Dawn in November and will be arriving 4 days ahead, not the usual max 3 that SS allows.  We paid the $150 for the deviation, and booked our 1st night at the same hotel that SS booked for us for the 3 ahead ... and they have agreed to have is picked up at the airport for hotel transfer.

Is this for the crossing from Lisbon? I will have my TA call again and see if I can get the hotel package at Tivoli (right?). Stayed there before a Viking crossing. Good location, but I prefer the Ritz overlooking the park.

1 hour ago, Mahogany said:

Is this for the crossing from Lisbon? I will have my TA call again and see if I can get the hotel package at Tivoli (right?). Stayed there before a Viking crossing. Good location, but I prefer the Ritz overlooking the park.

Yes, the LIS>FLA run.  Yes, the Tivoli.  We will be arriving 11/21 for 4 nights.

Check pricing privately first.  We got the nicer view at a good price and some perks from the hotel for night 1, and they agreed not to move us to our somewhat lesser SS room for the last 3.  Sweet.

On 8/7/2023 at 6:37 AM, shipsmail said:

We have booked our hotel in CPH before our cruise by ourselves and by coincidence it seems to be the same hotel Silversea is using. Do you think we can use their transfer to the ship? Any experience with that?

Quite often (maybe 50% or more) I elect not to take the included transfer and make my own way. Obviously it depends on the port and distance from the hotel. 

On one trip a year ago, I used the official taxi rank at Lisbon airport and got totally ripped off. Same for Barcelona…. But found using Uber cheap speedy and efficient. Worth exploring.

On 8/7/2023 at 1:37 PM, shipsmail said:

I am at the same hotel in Vancouver that Silversea uses, booked myself like you. Boarding tomorrow.  Today there is a Silversea desk set up, so I went to ask what happens.  I was given luggage tags.  I have to get my luggage to the ship myself and cannot use the Silversea transfer.  Well, that’s all right because the terminal is across the road!  And the hotel has complimentary luggage transfer anyway!  In fact, my cases will go in the same truck as the SS included transfer ones and will be delivered to my stateroom.

However, it does confirm that you cannot just latch on to the transfer group.  In CPH, however, you will be able to prebook and pay to join the SS transfer.  Most likely it will be as cheap to pay for your own taxi.  It drops you right at the ship and porters will take your luggage.  But at least you can get your luggage tags prior to leaving your hotel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1