Solo Deals?

CruisinChris

Does anybody here happen to have a current "hot sheet" from Princess that lists cruises for the next 6-9 months that reduced/waived solo supplements?  I saw one back in April, but it would really help me with planning to see an updated version.  This community is great - thanks in advance!

Solo supplement on my next cruise (11/23/23 transatlantic on Enchanted Princess category BW) is currently 40%. Would love to see a list instead of finding a cruise, then figuring it out. 

On this site:

@latebuyer mentions a list but also states that the Wine Country Oct 2023 cruise has a lower solo supplement? Not sure about that .... but I do look at that other part of cruise critic from time to time for hidden bargains (anytime there isn't a 100% supplement seems like a bargain)

Edited by Ombud
  • Thanks 1

I'd find such a list interesting, but as a solo cruiser, I don't see the value in it. When I search for a cruise I look for the itinerary I want, then the price. If it's a price I'm willing to pay I go with it. Doesn't really matter to me what the single supplement % is. Am I missing something?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, cavecreekguy said:

I'd find such a list interesting, but as a solo cruiser, I don't see the value in it. When I search for a cruise I look for the itinerary I want, then the price. If it's a price I'm willing to pay I go with it. Doesn't really matter to me what the single supplement % is. Am I missing something?

Not everyone has the luxury of having the "doesn't matter to me what the single supplement is" attitude you possess. Economics for some solos is a significant factor when cruising.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

The OP was asking about a "hot sheet" from Princess that lists cruises for the next 6-9 months that have reduced/waived solo supplements, so evidently their situation is different.

The great thing about cruising is that there is something for just about everyone, or as my Dad used to say "Let your billfold be your guide".

I use Cruise Plum.  Ok for me to post since it isn't a travel agency.  They have a price drop section, solo deals, hot deals, and last minute deals.  I've found excellent deals there in the past.  You can search by cruise line, # of passengers, length of cruise, embarkation ports, etc...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Last Fall they were doing a no supplement sale. I snagged a balcony on the sky deck right across from the Retreat pool for $1,100, total and that was with Plus, 7 day cruise. 

My cruise next April, a 7 day, same itinerary, in the same cabin with Plus is $2,300. 😳

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cavecreekguy said:

Some of us are price sensitive and it does matter what the supplement adds. I am actually looking for something out of FL now and actually dont care where I go if I can get a reasonable (for me) price, which would not be a 100% supplement. 

• Like 3

Thanks all.  I do have an agent and I am aware they are posted in OneSource (I was an agent for a time because I wanted to know how it all works).

The reason I'm asking about reduce supplement is the bottom line - it makes the overall cost of the cruise more affordable.  That said, I'm not shopping on price alone.  I do have flexibility and broad interests, so I'm often poking around to see what's available.  I have no problem taking advantage of a good deal.

Thanks to the poster who mentioned Cruise Plum.  I discovered that shortly after my initial post.

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2023 at 1:36 PM, CruisinChris said:

Does anybody here happen to have a current "hot sheet" from Princess that lists cruises for the next 6-9 months that reduced/waived solo supplements?  I saw one back in April, but it would really help me with planning to see an updated version.  This community is great - thanks in advance!

Hold on tight … the new listing should be coming out in the next few days.  

• Like 3

I don't know about a hotsheet.  There is a major travel agency that makes it very easy to see what single supplements are; unfortunately, I don't think we are allowed to discuss agencies here by name.  

My sisters got a South America 18 day cruise with Princess and the single supplement was only 10%.  They are barely paying more than my husband and I and each have their own cabin for a change, instead of sharing.

Why not just do a cruise search for a solo passenger on the Princess website? It's glitchy, of course, since in order to get low-to-high prices you have to start with high-to-low and then reverse. The two largest travel websites also allow searches for a solo person, so you can compare different lines. Then I go to my favorite TA website and see if they can beat the published fare. I've found amazing solo deals that way for HAL and Celebrity, but minor savings on Princess and NCL. For me the most important thing is overall price, not the supplement or whether or not there are studio cabins. Princess, Carnival, and NCL are the only lines that respect solo cruisers enough to allow a cruise search for a single passenger.

On 8/9/2023 at 7:04 PM, cheezenip said:

Not everyone has the luxury of having the "doesn't matter to me what the single supplement is" attitude you possess. Economics for some solos is a significant factor when cruising.

On 8/9/2023 at 11:11 PM, Buckeye10640 said:

Some of us are price sensitive and it does matter what the supplement adds. I am actually looking for something out of FL now and actually dont care where I go if I can get a reasonable (for me) price, which would not be a 100% supplement. 

I'm very price-sensitive, which is why I look at how much the cruise costs in total.

If the total cost of the cruise for me as a solo is $5,600, I don't see why it matters if that's $2,800 pp with a 100% supplement vs. $4,000 pp with a 40% supplement. The cost to me traveling solo is still $5,600.

Edited by cavecreekguy
  • Like 4

@cavecreekguy. Umm it should matter to you what the supplement is. the lower the supplement the lower your actual solo fare. You'll still pay 100% of your per person taxes / fees / port charges (those aren't doubled for solos). 

2800 base fare

5600 for 2 in room.

3960 with 40% supplement 

5600 with 100% supplement 

I've never seen Princess completely eliminate solo supplement in my 50+ cruises. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ombud said:

@cavecreekguy. Umm it should matter to you what the supplement is. the lower the supplement the lower your actual solo fare. You'll still pay 100% of your per person taxes / fees / port charges (those aren't doubled for solos). 

2800 base fare

5600 for 2 in room.

3960 with 40% supplement 

I've never seen Princess completely eliminate solo supplement in my 50+ cruises. 

I’ve gotten complete solo supplements on several cruises last year.  They now usually set it at at least 20%, though.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I’ve gotten complete solo supplements on several cruises last year.  They now usually set it at at least 20%, though.  

So maybe it's just the itineraries I'm interested in never completely remove the supplement. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

2800 base fare

5600 for 2 in room.

3960 with 40% supplement 

The total cost of the cruise is the total cost of the cruise. If I'm traveling as a solo, my "base fare" is the fare that cruise costs me, as a solo. It doesn't matter to me what two people in the cabin would pay per person, because that doesn't apply to me. All that matters to me is what I would pay for that cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

So maybe it's just the itineraries I'm interested in never completely remove the supplement. 

That could be.  We just like cruising from the west coast, preferably out of SF, and many of those go on the solo supplement list.  The ones to Alaska never seem to make it onto that list unless it’s really early or really late in the season, though.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cavecreekguy said:
2 hours ago, Ombud said:

2800 base fare

5600 for 2 in room.

3960 with 40% supplement 

The total cost of the cruise is the total cost of the cruise. If I'm traveling as a solo, my "base fare" is the fare that cruise costs me, as a solo. It doesn't matter to me what two people in the cabin would pay per person, because that doesn't apply to me. All that matters to me is what I would pay for that cruise.

I'm so confused. Are you saying you don't mind paying exactly what someone would pay if they were paying for 2 in that same room?? If so, why are you looking for "Solo Deals" which is where the solo supplement (aka penalty although i don't see it as such) is reduced?????

I guess I'm missing something. What is the definition of "Solo Deals?" Can anyone let me know. PLEASE

@Cruise Raider need to look at more SF cruises. Its nice just taking Bart to the port 

Edited by Ombud

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

I'm so confused. Are you saying you don't mind paying exactly what someone would pay if they were paying for 2 in that same room?? If so, why are you looking for "Solo Deals" which is where the solo supplement (aka penalty although i don't see it as such) is reduced?????

I guess I'm missing something. What is the definition of "Solo Deals?" Can anyone let me know. PLEASE

@Cruise Raider need to look at more SF cruises. Its nice just taking Bart to the port 

It sure is .. we really hate flying anymore so, either we pull up ourselves by the bootstraps and go on a flight or we just cruise out of SF and go to wherever it happens to be sailing.  We like the latter option much better.  

And, BTW .. I think solo cruise prices are the same deal as you’d get with the  single supplement being completely erased.  But, I have a feeling you already knew that.  
I don’t know why any solo traveler would actually want to pay double .. 

BTW, I’m still waiting on the new listing and will post it when I see it.  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Thanks 1