Labadee Safe?

The problem is different than previous years where there was unrest, because now the US Embassy has been closed.  Other countries have shut theirs as well.   It's a situation that bears monitoring, and hopefully things will improve before your cruise.

Royal Caribbean has to be monitoring this as well, and if they think there is a problem, they will divert ships to a different port.  They do have security at the perimeter of the leased property, but they have to be sure that their personnel can handle whatever problems could arise.  Royal may wait until the last minute to let passengers know, but they will not knowingly put passengers, crew and vessels in harm's way.

On 8/10/2023 at 4:49 PM, Ocean Boy said:

The person was just seeking opinions. "If you have to ask than don't go".... really?🙄

To be honest I think that's a fair comment, it you are asking if its safe then it is something rightly or wrongly that is concerning you. If your gut instinct says danger then you are probably best to obey it and not be swayed.

We have been lucky enough to travel around the world and it's my golden rule, if something doesn't feel right we are out of there. We have probably missed some great experiences but I never override my gut feeling.

• Like 2

I've found that it's common practice for cruise lines to purposely drop passengers off in known unsafe locations. The corporate lawyers advise they do this just so they can have more work litigating.  Said with sarcasm. 🤯🙄🤪

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 1

RCCL is not going to put passengers at risk unnecessarily nor their cruise ships or crew.  If the situation warranted it they would cease porting there.  The port area is quite a distance from the serious unrest as well as it being a secure area.  Of course something 'could' happen, but something 'could' happen in loads of foreign ports.  With all of this said don't use this board as a final source to make your decision, do that based on your own.  If you are nervous about it, don't go or stay onboard.  I can imagine it would not be enjoyable for you if you are nervous about the port stop.  We would go back in a heartbeat, we would even take our kids and grandkids which we'd never do if we thought even for a second there was undue risk.

55 minutes ago, mconthehighseas said:

It was closed for business a couple of days because of nearby gunfire. That means no public office hours.  Don’t go to apply for a visa etc. That is what closed means. That does not mean the Embassy has closed. There is still a US Embassy in Haiti. 

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

It was closed for business a couple of days because of nearby gunfire. That means no public office hours.  Don’t go to apply for a visa etc. That is what closed means. That does not mean the Embassy has closed. There is still a US Embassy in Haiti. 

Closed for business means closed. No one said it was abandoned. Sort of like when Walmart is closed. Geeze you just can't  admit when you are wrong about something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Closed for business means closed. No one said it was abandoned. Sort of like when Walmart is closed. Geeze you just can't  admit when you are wrong about something.

I agree. If it is not safe to get to the embassy, it is in no position to offer any assistance or service to anyone.

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The US Embassy has not been closed.

It is closed to the public as it has been for almost a week. There has been no announcement as when it will reopen.

Security Alert:  U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti (August 12, 2023)

Events:  Due to ongoing police activity and heavy gunfire in the vicinity of the Embassy compound, all Mission personnel are restricted to the Mission compounds until further notice.

10 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

It is closed to the public as it has been for almost a week. There has been no announcement as when it will reopen.

Yes. closed to the public. That does not mean the US has abandoned Haiti. There are still embassy personnel in the country and there is an emergency number. This is all far away from Labadee. I don't think anyone has been planning to visit the embassy even if it were open. 

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

With respect, this is not correct.

An Embassy closes when the Embassy is no longer functioning and there is no more official representation to the country it is situated in.

An embassy is not a Wallmart.

Haiti itself, especially Port au Prince, is very very dangerous at the moment indeed, but Labadee is as Safe as Disneyland.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Yes. closed to the public. That does not mean the US has abandoned Haiti. There are still embassy personnel in the country and there is an emergency number. This is all far away from Labadee. I don't think anyone has been planning to visit the embassy even if it were open. 

11 minutes ago, Despegue said:

With respect, this is not correct.

An Embassy closes when the Embassy is no longer functioning and there is no more official representation to the country it is situated in.

An embassy is not a Wallmart.

Haiti itself, especially Port au Prince, is very very dangerous at the moment indeed, but Labadee is as Safe as Disneyland.

Walmart has people in the building stocking shelves and cleaning the urinals, managers are counting their beans, security is watching their monitors, before and after hours of operation.  But, the doors are closed and locked and the general public isn't allowed to enter.  I fail to see the difference.  If I can't get in to do routine stuff, IT'S CLOSED!

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 8:33 PM, dbancroft said:

We also were just there very nice and relaxing the only issue we had were getting bit by sea lice.

agree, just got home yesterday from Oasis and have a nice rash from the sea lice on both forearms and legs.