PAYING for Pizza in Sorrento’s

Princess had a wonderful free restaurant that made very good stone oven cooked pizza and very good ministroni soup....now it is $15.00 to get in....they even charge $15.00 to log into the App which you use to order anything. RCCL has a loooong way to match Princess for penny pinchedness...

However, if you get their $60.00 a day drink package you can go to Alfredo's twice per cruise. If you get the $80.00 per day package you can eat there every day...

Doug

Edited by spunks
  • Like 2

On 8/10/2023 at 8:52 AM, The Fun Researcher said:

Pretty sure Princess just started charging for their pizza location onboard, so Royal is probably feeling out charging as well.  In my opinion Royal’s pizza is nowhere good enough to start charging for.  I’ll eat it if I’m hungry and there aren’t other good options available but I don’t crave it or anything that’s for sure.

Princess recently started charging for their sit down pizza restaurant (which also serves a small menu including salad, soup, pasta and dessert), unless you have one of their packages, then it's included once or twice per cruise. They still have included pizza on the lido deck. 

6 minutes ago, spunks said:

Princess had a wonderful free restaurant that made very good stone oven cooked pizza and very good ministroni soup....now it is $15.00 to get in....they even charge $15.00 to log into the App which you use to order anything. RCCL has a loooong way to match Princess for penny pinchedness...

However, if you get their $60.00 a day drink package you can go to Alfredo's twice per cruise. If you get the $80.00 per day package you can eat there every day...

Doug

I'm not happy with all the princess charges and am certainly not a princess apologist, but, the $60 and $80 per day packages (which I don't buy) are not only drink packages. They also include daily tips and other items. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I wouldn't debate a word of it.  

My last cruise was in October 2022, Independence of the Seas.  It did have marinated cheese and olives.  I'm fairly sure that there were other items too.  But, I don't eat any other items and didn't pay attention to it.

I sure hope they brought the additional items back!  However, our cruises on Harmony at the end of October 2022 and most definitely on Wonder in January 2023 only had pizza.  I thought I might have gone at the wrong time on Harmony, but I checked multiple times on Wonder.  I was so bummed.  I really enjoyed those items. 

• Like 1

We like Sorrento's pizza and enjoy a slice as a mid-afternoon or late-night snack.  It's often the best snack available in the afternoon while the Windjammer is closed between lunch and dinner ... we'd not be alone in feeling its absence.  

Pizza is a very cheap-to-make food, and I'd be upset if they started charging for it.  

Why all this hate /complaint about Sorrento's?  Honestly, some people just don't want to be made happy.  Yes, I've had better pizza.  I've also had worse.  

Recently RC made Indy's Fish and Ships a no-fee restaurant, so this is a confusing move.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Recently RC made Indy's Fish and Ships a no-fee restaurant, so this is a confusing move.  

We were on Ovation in May 2022.  Fish & Ships wasn't free.  But, based on our experience, it should be.  Also, they didn't have most of the other menu items.  They said COVID supply chain problems.  And it could very well have been.  I'm a "Fish & Chips" lover.  

We haven’t been on RCL for years.  We are Diamond but the amusement park at sea turns us off.  However, our grandchildren want to go on RCL next year so we’ll probably accommodate them. Nevertheles, I’ll be d****d if I’ll pay for a slice of pizza.

We have about given on on the mainstream cruise lines and have just returned from a Seabourn cruise and are booked on an Oceania next year.  They’re more expensive but the food is better, the service is better, the items included in the cost, drinks, gratuities, internet , etc., make those lines more attractive to us aging boomers

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RoperDK said:

On a positive note, some cruise lines are deciding to make changes already.  Carnival is improving the dining room menus and bringing back loyalty events that had been discontinued.        

I just got off a 4 day Carnival cruise (my first in 11 years) and I have to agree with you on the food. They beat RC hand over fist on absolutely everything food (and even drink) related. However, the rest of the cruise was an absolute DISASTER. Rampant drug use all over the ship both inside and out, dilapidated decking and rusty faded chairs, the AC sucks and most venues were incredibly hot including our rooms, the entire shower fixture (shower head, pipe and all) fell down on my teenage daughter while she was showering and it took them two days to fix it, never mind the condition of the ship itself (they really suck at cleaning or picking up trash laying around in general and the lack of general maintenance of the ship itself is sad) had me reconsidering ever sailing with them again.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We like Sorrento's pizza and enjoy a slice as a mid-afternoon or late-night snack.  It's often the best snack available in the afternoon while the Windjammer is closed between lunch and dinner ... we'd not be alone in feeling its absence.  

Pizza is a very cheap-to-make food, and I'd be upset if they started charging for it.  

Why all this hate /complaint about Sorrento's?  Honestly, some people just don't want to be made happy.  Yes, I've had better pizza.  I've also had worse.  

Food is so subjective. I have to say that I do not think I have ever had worse pizza. That is not saying much though, even when pizza is not that good, it's not that bad either. 🤷‍♂️

My opinion about Fish & Chips. I would rather have it back the way it was when you paid for it. It is certainly not the same. I have sailed Indy many, many times and each time I would get something from F&S, because I liked it. When I heard it was complimentary, I thought that was nice... until I had it. It's not the same, and the horrible line now makes it not worth the $0 cost. oh well.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

There are people in this world who enjoy being negative.Life is way too short to take this approach.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Falling_down said:

I just got off a 4 day Carnival cruise (my first in 11 years) and I have to agree with you on the food. They beat RC hand over fist on absolutely everything food (and even drink) related. However, the rest of the cruise was an absolute DISASTER. Rampant drug use all over the ship both inside and out, dilapidated decking and rusty faded chairs, the AC sucks and most venues were incredibly hot including our rooms, the entire shower fixture (shower head, pipe and all) fell down on my teenage daughter while she was showering and it took them two days to fix it, never mind the condition of the ship itself (they really suck at cleaning or picking up trash laying around in general and the lack of general maintenance of the ship itself is sad) had me reconsidering ever sailing with them again.

Oh my, how horrible!  How could ANY cruise line let their ship get so run down. We don't cruise with Carnival anymore. Too many things going wrong.  I will say that if you go on longer cruises on a new ship, you will find a different experience.  We were on the Mardi Gras for the second time this past January and decided that we needed to move on from Carnival even though we are almost Diamond with them.  I was encouraged when they announced the new food menus as people have been complaining about food for such a long time.  

9 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

Oh my, how horrible!  How could ANY cruise line let their ship get so run down. We don't cruise with Carnival anymore. Too many things going wrong.  I will say that if you go on longer cruises on a new ship, you will find a different experience.  We were on the Mardi Gras for the second time this past January and decided that we needed to move on from Carnival even though we are almost Diamond with them.  I was encouraged when they announced the new food menus as people have been complaining about food for such a long time.  

We booked the 4 day cruise at the same time we booked a 7 day on Mardi Gras for March 2024. I am really hoping we will have a better experience on the longer cruise on a newer ship. *fingers crossed*

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BND said:

LOL.  I have never once announced "I'm leaving" but I have seen a few .  As I've seen a lot online, this is not an airport, no need to announce your departure.

Not sure about Canada, but NYC has very much emptied out.. I don't remember an announcement though.

1 hour ago, Falling_down said:

Which ship?