Freedom with 2 Year Old (Regret?)

Going on a cruise (Freedom of the Seas) and it will be the first cruise with our little guy who is two years old.  Is the only splash area he will be allowed to use (since he’s in diapers) really that small?  I’m starting to regret booking the cruise because I fear he’ll be upset he can’t use splash away bay from what I’m now

reading online.  

Has anyone taken a young toddler on Freedom, if so, what was your experience?

I've recently seen the splash area on Independence, and I think that's pretty close:  

- No, it's rather large, even to my adult eye.  To a toddler, it'll appear to be acres.  

- I'd want him to have water shoes for good traction.  Don't court injuries!  

- My smart daughter only allows my grandson to wear bright red, orange or yellow swim trunks (not so easy to find), as they stand out in a crowd of common blue swimmies.  

- Consider planning a beach excursion so he can "swim" in the ocean without restriction. 

- Bring along your own beach toys -- here at the end of the summer, they'll be on clearance.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I've recently seen the splash area on Independence, and I think that's pretty close:  

- No, it's rather large, even to my adult eye.  To a toddler, it'll appear to be acres.  

- I'd want him to have water shoes for good traction.  Don't court injuries!  

- My smart daughter only allows my grandson to wear bright red, orange or yellow swim trunks (not so easy to find), as they stand out in a crowd of common blue swimmies.  

- Consider planning a beach excursion so he can "swim" in the ocean without restriction. 

- Bring along your own beach toys -- here at the end of the summer, they'll be on clearance.  

From what I recently found online, apparently most of the splash area is off limits to toddlers still in diapers.  From what I read there is only one very small area for diapers. Has this not been your experience?

4 hours ago, vision14k said:

Going on a cruise (Freedom of the Seas) and it will be the first cruise with our little guy who is two years old.  Is the only splash area he will be allowed to use (since he’s in diapers) really that small?  I’m starting to regret booking the cruise because I fear he’ll be upset he can’t use splash away bay from what I’m now

reading online.  

Has anyone taken a young toddler on Freedom, if so, what was your experience?

How soon is your cruise? Is there any way to get him toilet trained by then so he doesn't have to wear a swim diaper?

• Like 1

You certainly know him better than I, but I honestly don't think your son will be upset about not being able to use the entire splash area. There are things to keep him entertained in the area he'll be allowed to go. I don't think he'll even know the difference. As Mum2Mercury suggested, plan a beach excursion where he can play in the water.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vision14k said:

Nope, he won’t be toilet trained.

I've heard of people taking small blow up pools to use on the pool deck, have no idea if this is feasible or practical. Hopefully you'll get to some beaches where he can get into the water. 

22 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

I've heard of people taking small blow up pools to use on the pool deck, have no idea if this is feasible or practical. Hopefully you'll get to some beaches where he can get into the water. 

Please don't do this.  The pool deck doesn't have a lot of walking space, and this would definitely infringe on your fellow cruisers' space.  Plus, what will you do with the water once you're done?  You can't toss it back into the pool, and you can't toss it over the side.  

• Like 7

On 8/12/2023 at 3:12 PM, vision14k said:

From what I recently found online, apparently most of the splash area is off limits to toddlers still in diapers.  From what I read there is only one very small area for diapers. Has this not been your experience?

You are correct! Only a very small area for diapers! About 90% will be off limits but next to it -that will be a challenge for the kid since he is confined to the small area!

Being a parent and a grandparent, I really do not believe a 2 year old will know, or care or understand anything that is happening, and will have fun, with a water hose, if that was all it was.  You will have a long time, and many years of explaining why you can't do something yet to a child.  Go have fun, and your kid will have fun as well, where ever he is at this age.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

Honest question - what is the point of bringing a two-year-old on a cruise? He won't remember it, his behavior is apt to disturb others,  and you have to watch him every second. 

Hmmm.   Because you can’t leave them home alone and you want to get away.   Two year olds are humans, not pets.   Not everyone has a nanny or a grandparent to leave them with and many wouldn’t even if they do.  Having a few kids, I’ve cruised with a two year old many times.  Had a blast every time and so did they (even if they won’t remember it) 

• Like 4

We took our grandson on Freedom when he was 16 months old and he seemed to love being on the ship.  The area for kids in diapers is a small section but he enjoyed it.  His 5 year old cousin came over to play with him but was not allowed in this section with him, only diapered children in this section. 

Definitely take a few small pool toys for him!

Sherri🙂

2 hours ago, topnole said:

Hmmm.   Because you can’t leave them home alone and you want to get away.   Two year olds are humans, not pets.   Not everyone has a nanny or a grandparent to leave them with and many wouldn’t even if they do.  Having a few kids, I’ve cruised with a two year old many times.  Had a blast every time and so did they (even if they won’t remember it) 

This! Thank you.

3 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

Honest question - what is the point of bringing a two-year-old on a cruise? He won't remember it, his behavior is apt to disturb others,  and you have to watch him every second. 

Because it’s a quality time with kids. People work and only see kids limited time. Cruise is where parents don’t have other chores and can spend more one on one time with kids. 
I remember some episodes of my first sea vacation with my dad at 2+ yo, but even if I didn’t I’m sure we had terrific time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

I wonder this all the time also. Even if they are well behaved, Even if they don't disturb anyone else, Even if they have a great time in the moment. I don't think a kid will remember until maybe the age of 5, maybe 4. I really don't think there's a point for the kid's sake, and there's really no relief for the parents. Yes, there's the kid's club thing, but it's got ending hours, and if you are bringing them and sending them there all day or evening, again, I also don't see the point. It's not for the kids. We never took our daughter on vacation until she was 4 or 5. Even so, she barely remembers her first trip or two. Possibly tiny fractions of things, but not a true "memory". We purposefully waited until she was 5 to take her to Disney. 

2 hours ago, topnole said:

Agreed, not everyone has grandparents or a nanny. Growing up, my parents hired a live-in babysitter when they went on vacation. But I've also heard of kids staying with a trusted family friends or a friend's family.

@sjb317, Yes, an 18 month old can enjoy it at the time, but they'll never remember it when they are older.

8 hours ago, RobInMN said:

I wonder this all the time also. Even if they are well behaved, Even if they don't disturb anyone else, Even if they have a great time in the moment. I don't think a kid will remember until maybe the age of 5, maybe 4. I really don't think there's a point for the kid's sake, and there's really no relief for the parents. Yes, there's the kid's club thing, but it's got ending hours, and if you are bringing them and sending them there all day or evening, again, I also don't see the point. It's not for the kids. We never took our daughter on vacation until she was 4 or 5. Even so, she barely remembers her first trip or two. Possibly tiny fractions of things, but not a true "memory". We purposefully waited until she was 5 to take her to Disney. 

Agreed, not everyone has grandparents or a nanny. Growing up, my parents hired a live-in babysitter when they went on vacation. But I've also heard of kids staying with a trusted family friends or a friend's family.

@sjb317, Yes, an 18 month old can enjoy it at the time, but they'll never remember it when they are older.

It wasn’t about whether he would remember it, it was a family cruise with parents, uncles, a cousin and grandparents so it was about making memories for all of us.  And we have great memories of all the fun things we did with our family on that cruise as do they!  I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

I don’t get why people concentrate on kids remembering cruise. Kids may not remember other vacations too. Does this mean parents shouldn’t vacation with kids till they remember?

As for behavior, parents know their kids… and again people vacation with all kind of kids. 🙂 Besides 2+ yo are not infants who may cry uncontrollably, unless there is some kind of huge developmental delay. In this case parents would know also. 

RCI is a family line.. why are people surprised parents vacation with young kids? 

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, RobInMN said:

I would never have taken my toddlers.  To me, a vacation should be away from normal schedules.  I need solitude and freedom from everyday worries to really detox.  When we traveled, they always stayed with Gramps.  They started going with us in grammar school.  I couldn't imagine dealing with diapers, formula, crying and constant drain of supervising on a ship...But different strokes for different folks.  In general kids won't remember much of anything until they reach 4 or so.  I couldn't tell you if I even HAD a birthday party until that age.   Again: 

flame suit.jpg

32 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I would never have taken my toddlers.  To me, a vacation should be away from normal schedules.  I need solitude and freedom from everyday worries to really detox.  When we traveled, they always stayed with Gramps.  They started going with us in grammar school.  I couldn't imagine dealing with diapers, formula, crying and constant drain of supervising on a ship...But different strokes for different folks.  In general kids won't remember much of anything until they reach 4 or so.  I couldn't tell you if I even HAD a birthday party until that age.   Again: 

flame suit.jpg

Not a flame, but it’s your choice really. 
In US vacations are smaller than in majority of this world as is.

It’s a good time to spend it with kids. Vacation is a time from work, not from kids for many.

You are right about different strokes.. What strange is .. suggesting that kids will not remember this or that to a parent who clearly wants to vacation with kids.

Reminds me when people ask about quality of internet there is always somebody who mentions putting phone in safe. 😞

Edited by Tatka