Medical Evacuation on Legend

groundloop

There was just a medical evacuation from Legend via Coast Guard helicopter.  

I guess I wasn't too surprised that quite a few folks were taking video and photos despite the fact that the Captain and Cruise Director came on the PA several times specifically asking that there be no photos or video out of respect for the patient and her family.  I saw a couple of morons sprinting from one end of the ship to the other trying to get the best angle for their video.  

In any case I pray that the lady who was evacuated can make a full recovery, and thank goodness for our great Coast Guard.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I’ve seen several helicopter medical evacuations, you cannot see the person in the basket, at all. They are covered with a blanket or something. 

I understand the curiosity and watching the logistics of it and I’m sure everyone feels bad for that person and their family, I know I do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, groundloop said:

There was just a medical evacuation from Legend via Coast Guard helicopter.  

I guess I wasn't too surprised that quite a few folks were taking video and photos despite the fact that the Captain and Cruise Director came on the PA several times specifically asking that there be no photos or video out of respect for the patient and her family.  I saw a couple of morons sprinting from one end of the ship to the other trying to get the best angle for their video.  

In any case I pray that the lady who was evacuated can make a full recovery, and thank goodness for our great Coast Guard.

Why is this even a post?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, FastShip24 said:

Why is this even a post?

Hi @FastShip24🙂

There exists many, many, many more threads (posts) like this on the Cruise Critic message boards (across all cruise lines). Search any board, you'll find quite a bit of medical evacuation posts. I'll list just a teenie tiny sample from a quick search of the Carnival boards below. 

🍹

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ObstructedView2 said:

There exists many, many, many more threads (posts) like this on the Cruise Critic message boards (across all cruise lines). Search any board, you'll find quite a bit of medical evacuation posts.

That doesn't answer FastShip24's question.

• Like 4

The warnings about video concern hampering the vision of the rescue parties, including the helicopter pilot. Any flash or bright lights, even in daytime, can disrupt "normal" vision and possibly cause an accident.

Can you imagine the carnage if a hovering copter blades hit a part of the ship?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Mentions a specific ship with sailing date...a member here could have family onboard

Oh come on, really?  You are comparing pictures and videos posted so thousands will see with someone talking about an occurence on a ship?  If nothing else the OP was taking up for the family, no names, no pictures, no videos.  If it was a family member of mine, I would appreciate the post. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Oh come on, really?  You are comparing pictures and videos posted so thousands will see with someone talking about an occurence on a ship?  If nothing else the OP was taking up for the family, no names, no pictures, no videos.  If it was a family member of mine, I would appreciate the post. 

My point is the OP was shaming strangers for the exact thing they did.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

My point is the OP was shaming strangers for the exact thing they did.  

Nope. She was pointing out how people disregarded the request of the ship to not take pictures, not to mention the privacy of the patient. If you can't see the difference, there is no further discussion. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, evandbob said:

The warnings about video concern hampering the vision of the rescue parties, including the helicopter pilot. Any flash or bright lights, even in daytime, can disrupt "normal" vision and possibly cause an accident.

Can you imagine the carnage if a hovering copter blades hit a part of the ship?

How does holding up a cell phone hamper a helicopter 

5 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Nope. She was pointing out how people disregarded the request of the ship to not take pictures, not to mention the privacy of the patient. If you can't see the difference, there is no further discussion. 

How many ladies were medically evacuated off the Legend yesterday?  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

And you can identify the person boarding the helicopter?  It's 9n the news regularly 

15 hours ago, FastShip24 said:

How does holding up a cell phone hamper a helicopter 

In the same way that phone pics with flash are irritating in a theater to the audience and can be disruptive to those on stage, the flash can cause vision blindness to a pilot, esp. if several are going off at a time.

And yes, I've seen many viewers use their phone camera without disabling the flash.

• Thanks 1

I've been onboard a few times when there have been medical evacuations.  Each time there are numerous people videoing the helicopter hovering over the ship, which is a pretty impressive sight.  However, before the patient is brought out, they have cleared the Lido deck. 

The last time, I had gone to the cabin to pick something up and when I tried to get back to the Lido where my family was, they had security at the doors and wouldn't let anyone go out.  This was before I even heard the helicopter or knew anything about the evacuation.  

And as someone said earlier, you cannot see the patient as they are covered up.  I don't think most people are being disrespectful - they are just filming a really fascinating sight.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, sc4125 said:

I've been onboard a few times when there have been medical evacuations.  Each time there are numerous people videoing the helicopter hovering over the ship, which is a pretty impressive sight.  However, before the patient is brought out, they have cleared the Lido deck. 

The last time, I had gone to the cabin to pick something up and when I tried to get back to the Lido where my family was, they had security at the doors and wouldn't let anyone go out.  This was before I even heard the helicopter or knew anything about the evacuation.  

And as someone said earlier, you cannot see the patient as they are covered up.  I don't think most people are being disrespectful - they are just filming a really fascinating sight.

Having witnessed two medical evacuations on the Grandeur of the Seas (same 12-night cruise), it gave me a much greater appreciation for the Coast Guard service members' skills and professionalism.  One was a helicopter rescue and the other was a boat rescue.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sc4125 said:

On a Princess ship last fall. They didn’t clear the deck. IMG_3037.thumb.jpeg.ca651fd31f7b4783a1561efef4670c9a.jpeg

15 hours ago, evandbob said:

In the same way that phone pics with flash are irritating in a theater to the audience and can be disruptive to those on stage, the flash can cause vision blindness to a pilot, esp. if several are going off at a time.

And yes, I've seen many viewers use their phone camera without disabling the flash.

That is a military help.  Passengers cannot get that close for the small light to affect the pilot. Second, where does it say it occurred at night. A helo would have its bright white lights on illuminating the deck if it was at night