What's your music preference in the Steakhouse?

Tom-n-Cheryl

Many years ago, when carnival introduced the "Supper Club" (now all converted to Steakhouses), they had live music in there -- piano/singer. It made for quite the evening - feeling upscale, even at (then) just $25/person.

For the most part, up until recently, they still had soundtracks running which at least included some easy listening/vintage tunes - Norah Jones, Sinatra, etc. It seems to vary ship-to-ship.

I spoke about the current selection of tunes with the HD on the Liberty this past weekend (came up in conversation at the Diamond gathering). I expressed that, while I like almost everything they were playing, it just didn't seem to fit the bill for a "special" evening/meal. Yes, I know that Carnival is always trying to appeal to a broad group of people (new cruisers mainly on the Liberty - you'd think they'd have run out of blue cards - more than half of what I saw), but I'd still like to see a nod (now and again) to some tunes of days gone by... I'm not talking Big Band or 50's rock here, lol...

The HD did say that what they play onboard is put in place by Miami. I'm thinking, perhaps, by people who don't actually cruise and maybe hear these songs when out on the town themselves, dunno. 

Like I said - I like most of these songs - and I like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but Californication just stands out (not in a good way) when enjoying a supposed upscale dining experience.

Here's songs from two of our three nights there:

i-hs3zrgz-XL.png

i-Xrff4nN-XL.png

Thoughts?

Tom

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

Hmmmm, as long as it's not rap (bad language, harsh lyrics) I'm usually fine. I'm the crazy lady who will start weeping when "One Day More" from "les Mis" plays.  Maybe the Steakhouse shouldn't play that one😉

They played Lily Allen "Smile" right before Bitter Sweet Symphony. It caught my attention on two counts - I don't care for her (neither here nor there) and some of the lyrics of that song. Now - was it the radio edit version? I don't know, the server was at the table and talking with us.

When you first left me
I was wanting more
But you were f*&^ing that girl next door
What'd you do that for? (What'd you do that for?)

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would prefer some light instrumental/classical music in the steakhouse. Not the put you to sleep kind, but the kind you hear in an upscale restaurant. And trust me, I am not the kind of person who would normally like that music, but on a cruise in the steakhouse (or even Rudi's now) I enjoy it!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

They played Lily Allen "Smile" right before Bitter Sweet Symphony. It caught my attention on two counts - I don't care for her (neither here nor there) and some of the lyrics of that song. Now - was it the radio edit version? I don't know, the server was at the table and talking with us.

When you first left me
I was wanting more
But you were f*&^ing that girl next door
What'd you do that for? (What'd you do that for?)

Tom

My DH and I were driving and he had some radio station from Sirius XM and I think it was Coffee House or Alt something and I swear every other song had the f bomb in it.  And none of these songs were rap.  He switched the station to the E Street Band channel.