Studio cabins

rfs7306

15 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

That is a member of the Cruise Director’s staff. The person changes each week and they all take turns. Their job is to lead the nightly solo meeting and to arrange dinners for those interested solo travellers. Some go above and beyond and organize activities.

This is NOT a concierge and should not be described as such as the role of the concierge is very different than that of the Cruise Director’s Staff. 

That's your opinion. 

• Like 1

I was just in a Studio and met a very nice gentlemen who was our Solo Host. That is what they prefer to be called.  I've also been in a few suites and been lucky enough to have a few great Concierges, there is a vast difference between a Studio Host and a Concierge. Done!

Please show some respect to others. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I was just in a Studio and met a very nice gentlemen who was our Solo Host. That is what they prefer to be called.  I've also been in a few suites and been lucky enough to have a few great Concierges, there is a vast difference between a Studio Host and a Concierge. Done!

Please show some respect to others. 

Agreed.  I’ve been in both the studios and in the Haven.  The Solo Coordinator is not a Concierge.  The Haven has a Concierge.  😃. The Solo Coordinator is there to coordinate group activities and help arrange the group solo activities.  The job shifts between staff members week by week and is in addition to their other jobs.  It’s different than a concierge whose job is to arrange individual activities for passengers, help with billing questions, make dining and excursion reservations for individuals, etc.  There’s a big difference between the two roles.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, shof515 said:

i stayed in many solo studio cabins and never meet or heard anything about the social host/solo coordinator. how do you meet and where? 

It will be in the dailies.  Usually around 5-5:30 each. If Jr.  Either in the studio lounge or in a bare.  He/she will do an icebreaker and sign people up for dinners.  They usually go as a group to dinner in the main dining room after the meeting. 

• Like 1

We had a Solo Coordinator once who was a member of the Kids's Club staff. At every evening meet up in the Studio Lounge she had a 'craft' for the adults to do. She did not plan any activities or dinners. Many of the solos declined to make the crafts and we planned our own dinner for the evening. It was definitely the strangest dynamic for a solo meet up that I have experienced. 

4 hours ago, *MoonLady* said:

I think SoloAlaska means that one can change the number of passengers to 1 but still have the ability to book other classes of cabins. That's true. I've considered booking another class and would grab a balcony if it was reasonable. But, your key card will not allow you in the solo lounge if you don't have a solo studio. So, make sure that you go to the meet up on the first night and that way other solos will recognize you and let you in. 

I thought he meant that he found it cheaper to travel solo in a regular cabin that to have a studio cabin.  And I thought maybe extra is charged because of the key card protection. However, I didnt know about snacks and happy hours in the studio section. That would also add to the slightly increased cost of a studio

On 8/16/2023 at 6:27 AM, shof515 said:

that apply to all cabins. pricing increase as the ships gets more booked up and sail date gets one day closer

Could it also work the opposite?  Closer to sailing date, the ship has many unbooked cabins, so good deals are offered  to try to increase the passengers on the ship.

14 hours ago, latebuyer said:

I  heard  on the solo thread that they’ve been in a solo lounge where kids were running around. I guess some ships leave the door open as its at the discretion of the ship.

That might have been me.  We had a couple instances on my cruise in March of someone in a Studio cabin allowing family members staying elsewhere to come into the lounge, including children.

Edited by hallux
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, hallux said:

That might have been me.  We had a couple instances on my cruise in March of someone in a Studio cabin allowing family members staying elsewhere to come into the lounge, including children.

I had that same experience on the Escape this past June 25 cruise and the Solo Host admitted that it was done so that other solos could join the group around 5PM. However, what happened was that kids came in and took cookies and whatever else they wanted and the GM they were with, paid for a glass of wine too.  No harm, no foul. 

I am looking at a studio for Canada/NE in 2024. Have not cruised on NCL in ages. I’m a CCL gal and past 2 cruises have been solo since DH passed. Hate paying double tho! I’m really not confident ill  like studio (always cruise balcony or OV) BUT it’s an experience! I do love to look out at the ocean so might be a problem lol. Someone said cocktails in the lounge so I assume there’s a bar there? A plus would be not hunting for a bar to get a drink. Anyone have any advice for me?!? TIA

4 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I had that same experience on the Escape this past June 25 cruise and the Solo Host admitted that it was done so that other solos could join the group around 5PM. However, what happened was that kids came in and took cookies and whatever else they wanted and the GM they were with, paid for a glass of wine too.  No harm, no foul. 

I fully expect them to prop open the door for the meet at 5 PM, but the kids were in there at a time other than the meet...

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 12:07 PM, Crusin Karen said:

I am looking at a studio for Canada/NE in 2024. Have not cruised on NCL in ages. I’m a CCL gal and past 2 cruises have been solo since DH passed. Hate paying double tho! I’m really not confident ill  like studio (always cruise balcony or OV) BUT it’s an experience! I do love to look out at the ocean so might be a problem lol. Someone said cocktails in the lounge so I assume there’s a bar there? A plus would be not hunting for a bar to get a drink. Anyone have any advice for me?!? TIA

Hi Karen, If you really like a balcony and watching the ocean go by, a solo room might be an issue.  I love the solo rooms, but I also don't spend much time in there, I just sleep, change clothes, maybe watch a little tv, but that's it.  They are awfully small, but for me they have a cozy feel to them. I do prefer the solo rooms as opposed to a regular inside room. Not sure why, I think they just use the space more efficiently, and have a cozier feel.  There is not a bar in the solo lounge per se.  Usually during the evening meets, a server will come and take your drink orders and bring them to you in the lounge, but only during the meets. But there are snacks (fruit, cake, cookies), water and orange juice, and of course, the famous coffee machine, in the lounge until later at night.  Hope this helps give you more of an idea of the solo area.

On 8/17/2023 at 3:07 PM, Crusin Karen said:

I wouldn't count on alcohol being readily available. My experience has been that it's hit or miss, mostly depending on how active the solo meetup is and how much effort your solo host puts into arranging things. 

On 8/16/2023 at 6:43 PM, Russiamomm said:

I think that’s an anomaly.  The kids should not be there.  I’ve been on four trips in studios and never saw a child anywhere in the complex or the lounge. 

I'm guilty...I went with my 12 year old to "visit" grandma in her solo cabin.  We stopped by to check out the lounge and stole a cookie (ok maybe 3) before we zipped back out to our own cabin.  We didn't see any other humans and were quiet like thieving mice, but if you saw us, or if you needed more than the 3 dozen cookies we left behind - I'm sorry.  

The cabin was cute, and a great option for the lady who likes to take long long naps in the day time.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/18/2023 at 7:49 PM, jcscv said:

Hi Karen, If you really like a balcony and watching the ocean go by, a solo room might be an issue.  I love the solo rooms, but I also don't spend much time in there, I just sleep, change clothes, maybe watch a little tv, but that's it.  They are awfully small, but for me they have a cozy feel to them. I do prefer the solo rooms as opposed to a regular inside room. Not sure why, I think they just use the space more efficiently, and have a cozier feel.  There is not a bar in the solo lounge per se.  Usually during the evening meets, a server will come and take your drink orders and bring them to you in the lounge, but only during the meets. But there are snacks (fruit, cake, cookies), water and orange juice, and of course, the famous coffee machine, in the lounge until later at night.  Hope this helps give you more of an idea of the solo area.

some of the ships do have a bar in the lounge itself.  But it's not always staffed, but you can usually count on a bartender being there during the nightly solo meetups.  But like you said, those without a bar will have a server come in and take drink orders

On 8/17/2023 at 3:07 PM, Crusin Karen said:

Is it on the Breakaway?  I’ve been looking at that cruise as well. I know the Breakaway and the Getaway (same class, so basically identical) have a bar in the lounge but there is only a bartender there for 2 hours a day. Do a search on YouTube. There are plenty of videos showing you the solo cabins and lounge. 

I took a solo cruise on the Prima (loved the espresso machine in the lounge). There were a few teenagers in there hanging out with a relative staying in a solo lounge. But they were just in there quietly watching TV together so I didn’t mind them being there. I didn’t really spend much time in there, just to get my cappuccino and cookies (way too many cookies). 

On 8/16/2023 at 7:18 PM, Agent999 said:

The biggest benefit to the studio cabins is that, by default, the complex is an adult-only area. No kids next door, no kids running around the halls, no kids in the lounge. It is really (along with the Vibe Beach Club) one of the few kids-free areas on the ship.

I didn't even think of that perk.