NOW I have a problem with the new Suite policies

sixpackeddie

13 minutes ago, markeb said:

Was it free in the MDR that night? First or second chic night?

it’s not a good look either way, but it’s a very bad look if they charged you for a free MDR entree!

I don’t do lobster, but I think I would have told the head waiter where he could put his lobster. And I don’t do that…

Sometimes, it is better to gracefully accept something and move on. $13.99 is not going to break my bank.  If I was to have a conversation about it, I would have it with the Hotel Director.  The Head Waiter is just doing his job and he apologized profusely for having to charge me.  Otherwise our experience on the whole cruise was stellar.  The food was at least two notches better than a cruise we took on another supposedly upscale line in November.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Now that there are 2 butlers for the Sky Suites and they are working as a TEAM.  Can I have them come up to the pickleball courts and have them play a game of pickleball with me and my DW?

Only when they are not serving me my breakfast, lunch, afternoon snacks, and dinner in my Sky Suite. 

• Haha 1

I have been processing all these changes and cheesy up charges when the SS price is +$1,000 a day. Another cruise line will make a status match push to court The Retreat guests from X. Something like disappointed, come give us a try. Seems MSC is the most logical at this point, but will wait and see.  In June DCL gave me two lobsters and would have given me five if I wanted to pig out, but I don’t take advantage.

• Like 4

I did MSC Yacht Club - I can't really compare to X Retreat as I've never done it due to how much it costs. I was happy with my experience, the Butler was not great but I think that's because others kept him busy so rarely saw him. 

With food I'd stick to particular things but the lobster was actually far superior to X's lobster.

But for cost vs what you get MSC right now is better I think. I only have one retreat booked because it wasn't much more than my original booking for AQ so I upgraded but based on the prices it probably will be my only retreat experience. I am now a little concerned on what the experience will look like by Feb

• Like 1

9 hours ago, markeb said:

Was it free in the MDR that night? First or second chic night?

it’s not a good look either way, but it’s a very bad look if they charged you for a free MDR entree!

I don’t do lobster, but I think I would have told the head waiter where he could put his lobster. And I don’t do that…

Why take it out on the head waiter, I doubt he/she had any day in the matter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just cancelled two X retreat cruises and booked an MSC Yacht Club and Oceania.  IMO Celebrity's pricing does not match is value.  I have a hard time accepting a product that changed after I purchased it.  No use complaining, vote with your wallet.

• Like 15

Just now, ALANG said:

I just cancelled two X retreat cruises and booked an MSC Yacht Club and Oceania.  IMO Celebrity's pricing does not match is value.  I have a hard time accepting a product that changed after I purchased it.  No use complaining, vote with your wallet.

Wow!  We are thinking of doing the same thing with our SS on Edge to Alaska for May 2024.  We too, are disappointed in the changes occurring after the fact regarding when we booked.  Our Magic Carpet SS on Edge was a great buy but Oceania has the same itinerary during the same time frame and it included airfare, beer/wine with dinner and lunch/specialty dining/wifi/$600 excursion credit.  It's pricing out a little more than Celebrity's price when we booked, but it's less than Celebrity at current pricing...and includes much more.

• Like 3

Just now, TeeRick said:

With all of the fans of MSC YC, and new bookings, that will eventually and surely drive up the price.

I've already seen slight price increases but they seem to ebb and flow.  I think the key factor that consistently keeps MSC's pricing down is the shipping side of the business....they use this to their advantage is other ways besides the financial bottom line for the company...like using their own shipping containers for resupplying ships.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I've already seen slight price increases but they seem to ebb and flow.  I think the key factor that consistently keeps MSC's pricing down is the shipping side of the business....they use this to their advantage is other ways besides the financial bottom line for the company...like using their own shipping containers for resupplying ships.

Hello,

I wouldn't call the prices I've just seen on 2025 out of Southampton a 'slight increase' on 2024 - more like 70% on 2024's 12 night itineraries. And as for 2023, that had a long single supplement offer of only 20%, the 2025 price is nearly triple.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

I wouldn't call the prices I've just seen on 2025 out of Southampton a 'slight increase' on 2024 - more like 70% on 2024's 12 night itineraries. And as for 2023, that had a long single supplement offer of only 20%, the 2025 price is nearly triple.

Regards,

Cublet

Yes, Southampton is usually an expensive port but a massive increase. So convenient for us in the UK though…Two blows, price increase and I would have preferred to ‘keep’ the Silhouette!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

With all of the fans of MSC YC, and new bookings, that will eventually and surely drive up the price.

I have already noticed it on some 2024 cruises from Port Canaveral (Seashore) and NYC (Meriviglia). What was around $360pppd is now creeping up to $425pppd. YMMV of course. 

Still south of $500pppd but it is closing. 

mac_tlc

9 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Now that there are 2 butlers for the Sky Suites and they are working as a TEAM.  Can I have them come up to the pickleball courts and have them play a game of pickleball with me and my DW?

2 butlers for 84 Sky suites, that seems a little extreme.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Only when they are not serving me my breakfast, lunch, afternoon snacks, and dinner in my Sky Suite. 

Are you the CCer that was upset that their " personal " Butler was 4 minutes late to " draw " their bath one night ?

It seems that Pinboy is the only one that does not select a suite --- otherwise , he'd go friggin " nuts " trying to figure out what's what . 

Question : What's the big deal over a lobster tail ? Pages and pages over a lobster tail ? 

" I ain't goin on no Celebrity ship no more--- they make ME pay for an extra lobster tail ?

Don't they know who I am ? I'll show 'em---- " !!

Gotta go---- Big sale today for lobster tails at Walmart--- buy 2 get 4 free !!!

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

2 butlers for 84 Sky suites, that seems a little extreme.

They won’t be functioning like Butlers, probably more like order takers, guest services.  Want coffee every morning they pass it off to the delivery team to execute, same for in room meals, need restock of, mini bar it is dyi from the Retreat coolers, need laundry pick up probably cabin attendant, have a erroneously charge on your account they fix, need dinner reservations they do on their computer, need a button sewn on, shoe repair, take it to the lounge and they will send it to someone, want a small gathering in your suite they will place the order and the charge to your account and the deliver team will deliver and set up. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Are you the CCer that was upset that their " personal " Butler was 4 minutes late to " draw " their bath one night ?

It seems that Pinboy is the only one that does not select a suite --- otherwise , he'd go friggin " nuts " trying to figure out what's what . 

Question : What's the big deal over a lobster tail ? Pages and pages over a lobster tail ? 

" I ain't goin on no Celebrity ship no more--- they make ME pay for an extra lobster tail ?

Don't they know who I am ? I'll show 'em---- " !!

Gotta go---- Big sale today for lobster tails at Walmart--- buy 2 get 4 free !!!

If you are not paying +$1,000 a night for an advertised product, why do you care...

Edited by bnurick
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, bnurick said:

If you are not paying +$1,000 a night for an advertised product, why in the X#$% do you care...

" why in the X#$% do you care."

No offence  meant--- just a comment over a lobster tail seeming to be that important---- to some.

Of course you are supposed to receive exactly what is advertised. 

9 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

No offence  meant--- just a comment over a lobster tail seeming to be that important---- to some.

I think that it is the concept of nickle and diming when one pays for a quality product...

2 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

It is the principal of the matter. For decades you are sold on paying an astronomical price for an astronomical good time. Now after you have booked, the rug is pulled in various ways. I would have no problem if free cancelations were offered, that is actually the appropriate thing to do here.

I have a 2024 Bermuda cruise booked at $1,755 a day. Do you think it is outrageous I expect two 4oz lobster tails on night six lobster night? I am not asking for five, just a total of 8oz which is a typical portion size. Further, of the 7 nights, 4 are in paid specialty restaurants which we pay extra for and saves X money in Luminae.

X has chosen to act intellectually dishonest in saying their changes are at parity and are also cancelling entire cruises on people because they locked in pricing which loses X money. No 'make whole' option for any of these people.

I wish I had never booked The Retreat 5 more times thru 2025. I wish I had booked a CC cabin with no add-ons. This way I would simply pay an a-la-carte price for everything I actually want on a cruise.

Astronomical Prices = Astronomical Experience

or

Refund Option

• Like 10

1 minute ago, NMTraveller said:

I think that it is the concept of nickle and diming when one pays for a quality product...

Exactly--- but, my point was/is a lobster tail isn't that important to " sweat " over.

Now, let's say they charged extra for another warm chocolate chip cookie desert at the Lawn Grill--that's a different story.

Again-- no offence meant --- 

40 minutes ago, jelayne said:

They won’t be functioning like Butlers, probably more like order takers, guest services.  Want coffee every morning they pass it off to the delivery team to execute, same for in room meals, need restock of, mini bar it is dyi from the Retreat coolers, need laundry pick up probably cabin attendant, have a erroneously charge on your account they fix, need dinner reservations they do on their computer, need a button sewn on, shoe repair, take it to the lounge and they will send it to someone, want a small gathering in your suite they will place the order and the charge to your account and the deliver team will deliver and set up. 

If the system is run efficiently then it may be OKish….As long as messages and requests are passed on thoroughly and carefully.

I must confess I did expect a change to the random fill/refuse to fill minibars situation which has gone on for some time but I didn’t expect it to go totally DIY…I thought they may top up 2x water, 4x soda, 2x generic beer daily (as they do in many AI resorts) but then say the rest is up to you. That might have been a better compromise…

I am expecting from what I have read so far that whilst higher suites are technically untouched by the changes I can see a more ‘strict’ approach to exactly what you get. You never know, if they stick rigidly to the two times a cruise laundry I may actually get to use my E+ perk in the PH next year!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Regards,

Cublet

I guess everyone’s experience will vary. Admittedly, I have only priced (or sailed) MSC for Caribbean itineraries. If I am looking to fly over seas, my comfort zone remains with Celebrity….but I won’t book a suite on Celebrity again because it doesn’t compare to YC in my opinion. 

• Like 1