Saint Greg's Alaska Jewel - Live - August 28, 2023

Saint Greg

26 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Just starting to look at other cruise lines having sailed on Royal (44) and on Celebrity (4). What is the “flow” you’re talking about or is it a joke that I’m not getting?

It wasn’t serious. I think they were taking about the flow of people around the pool and I turned it into the flow of water into the pool. Without that there is no pool.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

It wasn’t serious. I think they were taking about the flow of people around the pool and I turned it into the flow of water into the pool. Without that there is no pool.

Thanks, wasn’t sure if I was missing something.

I kind of figured this going in but I’m really not a stadium concert guy. I’m used to seeing everything. I saw pretty much none of Ice nine kills. Maybe 10% of FFDP. And maybe 30% of Metallica. That stage is just too big. But it’s a good gig for Metallica. One city a week. Two shows a week. Sell a couple hundred thousand tickets a week. Beats the schedule most bands have..and they used to have.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I kind of figured this going in but I’m really not a stadium concert guy. I’m used to seeing everything. I saw pretty much none of Ice nine kills. Maybe 10% of FFDP. And maybe 30% of Metallica. That stage is just too big. But it’s a good gig for Metallica. One city a week. Two shows a week. Sell a couple hundred thousand tickets a week. Beats the schedule most bands have..and they used to have.

I have only been to one concert at ATT, Guns and Roses.  The sound quality sucked, lots of echoing, therefore, I won't go again.  Was the sound quality better with the stage set up in the center?  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

They did play for two hours. Probably had to in order to make the rounds on that huge stage. I’m pretty sure the only other band I’ve seen go two hours was foo fighters. But that was on a regular arena size stage. And I think I paid as much or more just to park at Metallica as I did for my foo fighters ticket in 2017.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 5

35 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

I have only been to one concert at ATT, Guns and Roses.  The sound quality sucked, lots of echoing, therefore, I won't go again.  Was the sound quality better with the stage set up in the center?  

A little bit. I didn’t notice it that with much. But it was loud where I was at with everyone screaming. But stadiums are made for football not concerts.

IMG_1109.thumb.jpeg.64fc82dcd538a8838881a0544e19522b.jpeg

IMG_1108.thumb.jpeg.a522a9f20376c10c468a84e361cac9a9.jpeg

IMG_1058.thumb.jpeg.a3b27e07f95d1aacc7972cfb8fa1d1ca.jpeg

IMG_1057.thumb.jpeg.69f97218c93ab0b2dcb010266d554db5.jpegIMG_1073.thumb.jpeg.3125b7c7db05aa10e7662886ca686584.jpeg

IMG_1072.thumb.jpeg.690ee6dcf7cb71938cf2f59d503b1df9.jpeg

IMG_1062.thumb.jpeg.e233f670f3b3f17809dd06f53ac295b7.jpeg

IMG_1110.thumb.jpeg.0fc33f12f822ee1b780de9da1675409f.jpeg

IMG_1104.jpeg

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 15

2 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Just starting to look at other cruise lines having sailed on Royal (44) and on Celebrity (4). What is the “flow” you’re talking about or is it a joke that I’m not getting?

Definitely not a joke, it just seemed hard to move around and there were obstacles everywhere. I was on the Breakaway (in 2022). It was also really hard finding any lounge chair, and I am not one that needs to be right near the action. I love looking at the ocean and being able to grab a drink or cool off (even if it’s a ride down the slide or a bucket dump of water vs. the pool!)

It’s what drove me to get a sky suite on Celebrity Millennium for my next cruise and I signed up for a Havana room on Carnival Horizon in October. I’m trying Allure of the Seas (non-suite) in November and hoping the lounging will be better there (first time on Royal). I always have a balcony but I like being close to bars, food, and being a little social 😊

I did really like the entertainment and how NCL does the dining so really interested to see how an Alaska cruise goes, it's on my short list!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Sean O’Malley is one of my favorite UFC fighters to watch. He won the championship last night. 

He’s got good hair. Nothing wrong with having pink hair this week.

For anyone who isn’t in on the pink hair thing I still have a little pink in my hair from this last weekend.

• Haha 9

3 hours ago, dallasdan said:

Sound in stadia is challenging, mostly it’s setup assuming a full house but if there’s a lot of empty space the sound echos horribly.  I’ve only been to a couple of stadium gigs in small (by USA standards) here in Ireland and I’ve actually noticed worse audio issues with pre-game/half-time musical entertainment at the sporting fixtures when it wasn’t a full house.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, eileeshb said:

Btw I will be curious to see if they do any hot alcoholic beverages on an Alaskan itinerary, particularly the day at the glacier.

I don’t know about NCL yet but Carnival has spiked coffees. Last year I loaded up on fireballs before my glacier explorer.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, eileeshb said:

Btw I will be curious to see if they do any hot alcoholic beverages on an Alaskan itinerary, particularly the day at the glacier.

It was several years ago, and on NCL Pearl, but there were several hot alcoholic drinks (not just spiked coffees)  offered on Glacier Bay day. We had a balcony cabin, and they even sent around a special menu to order drinks to your room during glacier viewing. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Stallion said:

Prediction No. 1: Will get lost on Day 1 searching for Alchemy Bar

Related Inquiry: Does NCL have a 15 drink maximum?

Nope and you can even get 2 drinks at a time… I recommend seriously considering this as a strategy due to probable lengthy waits for service if the ship is at full capacity. 

• Like 5