Wonder how Future Cruise Booking are Doing

miched

44 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Agree, the whiners here don’t really have much of a say. 

Not sure long term X loyalists should be targeted as "whiners" because they are not pleased with escalating pricing and declining services/value. We can vote with our feet in deciding whether to cruise or not without criticism for this. After all cruising is not a necessity. People will continue to support inflated prices (housing, stocks, travel) until they don't (or can't).

We all have to determine what the value prop is for our hard earned dollars (a major problem being with gov largesse 'hard earned' takes on a new meaning). Nothing new here. The only question is when things will reverse to mean. JMHO

• Like 2

It’s a great question!  We’ve sailed with Celebrity 10 times since 2015 with two more on the books. We’ve never booked a future cruise while on board. I wonder how many people are in my boat?  

For Celebrity, I think the real tell will be in how many first time Celebrity cruisers will go to the future cruise desk?  Because this will offer them immediate feedback on how their new marketing strategies are working (or not) with their new target demographic. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

It’s a great question!  We’ve sailed with Celebrity 10 times since 2015 with two more on the books. We’ve never booked a future cruise while on board. I wonder how many people are in my boat?  

For Celebrity, I think the real tell will be in how many first time Celebrity cruisers will go to the future cruise desk?  Because this will offer them immediate feedback on how their new marketing strategies are working (or not) with their new target demographic. 

I’m not sure that’s the best metric. The largest change to the booking cycle right now is a big increase with those booking within 6 months of sailing. Which almost always equates to higher prices. This will be even more evident if RCG implements their new inventory controls on Celebrity.

Well Royal is a successful line financially.

My disappointment is with the Royalfication of Celebrity.  It once was a very good line.  If I wanted to sail on Royal I would choose Royal.

We always used to book another Celebrity cruise while on board.  This time we have no intentions of doing so.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

I’m currently on Solstice in Alaska.

Day 3 and I’m disappointed with F&B in MDR.

reduced selection, particularly entrees

meat is mostly fat

no dressing on Caesar salad

slow waiter and wine service

orders mixed up with next table

Ship is in great shape, but dining is a big letdown.

We have 2 more cruises booked in next 8 months and if there is no marked improvement, we’ll be considering what to do going forward.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, chemmo said:

What a good question!

In earlier years we have usually booked two cruises a year…Whilst unique circumstances have made us skip a year I am now almost grateful…Hopefully by the time we cruise things should have settled down.

We decide a few days ago we can’t manage the winter without a break. Surprisingly cruising wasn’t even considered as an option. We simply wanted a cheerful crash out with lots of facilities and not too expensive…We have gone for an AI resort…What Celebrity needs to take on board is that many guests may stay loyal to Celebrity when they cruise but they may decide to cruise less often. This choice being made after looking at pricing…

I haven't  seen that many "bargains" at AI resorts once all the fees and taxes are included. Prices are comparable to X at the different levels of rooms. 

If X is doing anything is the reverse of what you have done - going after AI users and convincing them they can get that AI experience with a moving hotel room with a different experience everyday. AI had sone a good job in staking out the "younger" segment.  Cruises are looked at as senior heavy, obviously X wants to change that since they have a comparable product 

47 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I’m not sure that’s the best metric. The largest change to the booking cycle right now is a big increase with those booking within 6 months of sailing. Which almost always equates to higher prices. This will be even more evident if RCG implements their new inventory controls on Celebrity.

Very good point!!  I assumed I was in the minority but Perhaps there are more of us out there who book after the fact than I thought. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

49 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Duplicate post. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

My last booking was on Oceania for 2025.  The price and itinerary for Europe were great, along with being on a new ship.  I have three booked Celebrity cruises on E-class, the next one on Beyond, as I truly love that ship whether in the Retreat or an SV cabin; however, this time it’s a suite again.  The next two are Ascent and Edge.  Where and when I book, in the future, will be determined by a variety of factors, but I am anything but done with cruising.  There are other lines and more diverse itineraries, so lots of variety out there.  Honestly, it’s not that great being on land with a zillion people either, especially when it is not even during the summer months.  The crowds have been enormous in Europe.  You can’t take it with you($$$), but just throwing it at cruise companies(any company for that matter) isn’t for me either.  Then you have the airlines...

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Where and when I book, in the future, will be determined by a variety of factors, but I am anything but through with cruising.  There are other lines and more diverse itineraries, so lots of variety out there.  Honestly, it’s not that great being on land with a zillion people either, especially when it is not during the summer months.  The crowds have been enormous in Europe.  You can’t take it with you($$$), but just throwing it at cruise companies isn’t for me either.  

We agree with you totally! We have future cruises booked to New England/Canada, Galapagos, Antarctica, Alaska, Norway/Baltic, Egypt/Greece, Brazil TA, Longyearbyen/Iceland, and an Iberian TA in the Summer of 2025 along with hopefully a Tahitian cruise RT out of LA that Fall. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We agree with you totally! We have future cruises booked to New England/Canada, Galapagos, Antarctica, Alaska, Norway/Baltic, Egypt/Greece, Brazil TA, Longyearbyen/Iceland, and an Iberian TA in the Summer of 2025 along with hopefully a Tahitian cruise RT out of LA that Fall. 

What line is the Tahitian cruise with?  Looking for something similiar...

5 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I loved Tahiti, so out of LA sounds great; can you elaborate?   Just saw your answer to this! 

Edited by Lastdance

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

And by comments here, they (Celebrity) are driving away us loyal and older passengers and replacing us with fresh (younger) blood.  These new passengers, who have decades of cruising and spending ahead of them.  And for whom Edge Class ships were built.  And who pay the higher prices, without sucking up Loyalty benefits.  People here hate the truth, but it seems to be working for them as a business.

Absolutely accurate statement. The older and loyal cruisers ultimately spend less than the new, enthusiastic younger families. Celebrity will continue to raise prices and cut services until their balance sheet tells them they went to far. Then and only then will you see them start trying to give back to their customers.

Edited by neverlaysup
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

They actually do a nice visit of the islands for a very good price and you save on the airfare flying to Tahiti.  A very nice itinerary.

TBH now that we have reach our 70s and are fully retired, we find that we enjoy the "journey" (i.e., more sea days) more than port intensive itineraries as was the case early on in our cruising adventure.

17 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

HAL does a 35 day version too which IMO is a better itinerary.  

We used to cruise with HAL quite a bit, as we are 4* Mariners, until they switched to their Music Walk entertainment strategy back in 2018. With PCL and their very funny CDs with 5-6 assistants, there is always plenty of things to do in the evenings and on sea days along with nightly shows in the main theater and hilarious game shows in between them every night! But some folks don't like theater shows and would rather listen to music every night on a cruise which is cool too.

BTW the Music Walk was HAL's strategy back then to get the younger crowd to start booking cruises with them.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

56 minutes ago, tfred said:

I haven't  seen that many "bargains" at AI resorts once all the fees and taxes are included. Prices are comparable to X at the different levels of rooms. 

If X is doing anything is the reverse of what you have done - going after AI users and convincing them they can get that AI experience with a moving hotel room with a different experience everyday. AI had sone a good job in staking out the "younger" segment.  Cruises are looked at as senior heavy, obviously X wants to change that since they have a comparable product 

AI deals are gone. There are many All Inclusives in Riviera Maya/Cancun that are double their 2019 prices. What I could occasionally get for a little over $4k, consistently get for $5k a week is now selling out at over $10k. The food, service and overall quality of this particular resort pale in comparison to today's Celebrity product. A lot of emphasis on presentation, it's very Instagramable, but the food and drinks are not great by any stretch.  Put an $8k Sky Suite next to this product and Celebrity seems like a great deal. 

Celebrity and other lines are also benefitting to some degree from having Virgin Voyages in the market. 

I guess in the UK we do have an advantage for good AI prices by the end of September.

All resorts want to be full until the end of October…The traditional close down time for many Mediterranean resorts although more and more are trying to extend their season. We have opted for Turkey but reasonable deals available in the Algarve, Canary Islands, Spain, Greek Islands…

I guess it is like cruises the less faddy you are about location and date and the more flexible you are the better…

I think the point I was trying to make though, was I didn’t particularly look at cruise options…With so many hiccups and changes happening I feel more comfortable letting things stabilise….

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Yes the bottom line is what counts.

So RCG sailings are running full and bookings are continuously increasing.

And by comments here, they (Celebrity) are driving away us loyal and older passengers and replacing us with fresh (younger) blood.  These new passengers, who have decades of cruising and spending ahead of them.  And for whom Edge Class ships were built.  And who pay the higher prices, without sucking up Loyalty benefits.  People here hate the truth, but it seems to be working for them as a business.

It definitely is working ---for now.  I wonder what a year or two from now will bring.  Many of us older and loyal passengers book many cruises per year - 6, 7, 8 or more.  I have that many booked but will now be considering other lines for at least some of my cruises.  Anyone reading CC often notes that many of the people upset (also known as "whiners" to those who think the cutbacks coupled with much higher prices should just be accepted I guess) are also people who book many, many cruises.  Many (most I would guess) of the younger group they are targeting likely book one per year if that.  Coupled with that, they are in many ways now competing with their other brand, Royal.  Another Royal huge resort at sea is scheduled to float out soon if I remember correctly, as well as a new Edge class ship.  Will they really be able to fill all the additional berths on all these ships with mostly the younger crowd?  So will this travel bubble burst at some point?  Logic says yes but we'll see.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

It definitely is working ---for now.  I wonder what a year or two from now will bring.  Many of us older and loyal passengers book many cruises per year - 6, 7, 8 or more.  I have that many booked but will now be considering other lines for at least some of my cruises.  Anyone reading CC often notes that many of the people upset (also known as "whiners" to those who think the cutbacks coupled with much higher prices should just be accepted I guess) are also people who book many, many cruises.  Many (most I would guess) of the younger group they are targeting likely book one per year if that.  Coupled with that, they are in many ways now competing with their other brand, Royal.  Another Royal huge resort at sea is scheduled to float out soon if I remember correctly, as well as a new Edge class ship.  Will they really be able to fill all the additional berths on all these ships with mostly the younger crowd?  So will this travel bubble burst at some point?  Logic says yes but we'll see.  

This.  You have an overabundance of travelers trying to make up for 2 years of lockdowns...  What happens when travel normalizes?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Was just looking at Oceania 2025 Europe itineraries yesterday!  Mind sharing which one features a new ship?

Vista is out now; there is another  one coming out in the future, but I do not recall its name…sorry!  We are doing a TA from Miami to Lisbon and spending time in Portugal.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Thanks 1