Wonder how Future Cruise Booking are Doing

miched

We're some of the "new" Celebrity cruisers. We've sailed mostly on Carnival, a couple times on RC, but were looking for a different experience without all the kids, massive family groups, and noise. Our first X cruise was in January and we loved it. I just made final payment today for an 8-day in November, and I'm eying a couple of options for February. We've reached a point in our lives where we will probably take three to four cruises per year and based on our recent experience, those cruises will likely be on X. There are probably a lot more like us who are moving up from other lines and are ready to take the place of some who are no longer happy with X. Time will tell as to whether it all balances out. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

This.  You have an overabundance of travelers trying to make up for 2 years of lockdowns...  What happens when travel normalizes?

You also have to consider that global volume has gone from 12 million passengers in 2003 to almost 30 million in 2019. By 2027 that’s projected to be almost 40 million passengers globally. Those numbers aren't due to a 2 year lockdown in 20/21. 

• Like 2

On Oceania Insignia right now off Greenland. Many cutbacks, particularly the food. Long time O customers are vocally unhappy. 

Few people at the future cruise desk. I walk by the desk alot for exercise, only a few people asking questions....

I most certainly will not be booking another O cruise.

But did just book a Globus land tour of Great Britain with a return on the QM2.

Message being sent by consumers.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

On the Apex TA in Apr/May the future cruises were often empty. We never saw a waiting line.

I think this might be more of their challenge area, filling the longer itineraries.  Seeing them doing the shorter cruises and moving ships around to the Caribbean would indicate where they are best able to fill the ships.  Seems to work for them and it is definitely a specific target market.

I have not gone to the future desk in a long time, it doesn't even enter my mind.  Not entirely due to Celebrity's changes (some I shrug off, others possible deal breaker), having to consider flight costs against the perceived value of a cruise is a big factor.

I think many can get over change, we might grumble a bit, but the way they've been doing seems to lack transparency. That said, I'm sure many have heard of the changes on Princess recently with their Plus packages and now charging for things that were once included (Alfredo's), no cruise line seems immune to change and poor methods of implementing.  Removing things and cost remaining the same just sucks.  For me personally, at a point in time it comes down to whether cruising is still the vacation I've come to expect or if maybe something else is an option and it's of course all with the mighty poor CAD$ leading the way.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

You also have to consider that global volume has gone from 12 million passengers in 2003 to almost 30 million in 2019. By 2027 that’s projected to be almost 40 million passengers globally. Those numbers aren't due to a 2 year lockdown in 20/21. 

Capacity in the market has surely increased though, there were not too many mega-ships in 2003. New ships are coming online all the time and orders for more that were placed pre-Covid will be delivered. Manufacture was delayed but will start to work through over the next few years.

Combined with raising interest rates and wider concerns in many economies, I am not convinced the high pricing and reduced offering can be sustained. Covid saving reserves are being burned through, certainly in the UK fixed rates mortgages will be coming up for review and many are facing a cliff-edge when repayments go up etc. etc.

Even if people can afford it, if the value proposition isn't there they will choose to do something else. I certainly will.

• Like 4

Why book a future cruise 

Here an example on HAL , a TA leaving Rome at $2300 CAD for including taxes and fee on Nov 26 2023 

The same cruise in 2024 is $4400 CAD , 

Hotels and airfare may eat up some of the savings 

But I think I will be doing this next year , since we not that picky about our location of the cabin 

IMG_5887.thumb.jpeg.a4b8ddedc5bf9ece8df5881dd5fc7780.jpegIMG_5886.thumb.png.15119f67085b329be2e79c5214ba1338.png

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Why book a future cruise 

Here an example on HAL , a TA leaving Rome at $2300 CAD for including taxes and fee on Nov 26 2023 

The same cruise in 2024 is $4400 CAD , 

Hotels and airfare may eat up some of the savings 

But I think I will be doing this next year , since we not that picky about our location of the cabin 

IMG_5887.thumb.jpeg.a4b8ddedc5bf9ece8df5881dd5fc7780.jpegIMG_5886.thumb.png.15119f67085b329be2e79c5214ba1338.png

Wow, it does seem that things have flipped a bit.  Last minute cruises have more often seen lower prices to fill the ships but the last minute window seems to have widened a bit. On the flip side, booking further out typically had better rates but it seems that is no longer the case. As you are showing here, booking further out seems to be appealing only if there is a room that you 'must have' and want to get before gone.  That said, I'm sure some itineraries see different cost patterns.

Edited by poffles

Didn’t visit future cruises on recent Silhouette cruise. Example of HAL T/A typically. 2024 cruise is over 25% more expensive than recent 2023 X cruise to Scandinavia. Probably more hotel-based holidays from now on until quality & value return.

18 minutes ago, poffles said:

Wow, it does seem that things have flipped a bit.  Last minute cruises have more often seen lower prices to fill the ships but the last minute window seems to have widened a bit. On the flip side, booking further out typically had better rates but it seems that is no longer the case. As you are showing here, booking further out seems to be appealing only if there is a room that you 'must have' and want to get before gone.  That said, I'm sure some itineraries see different cost patterns.

We mostly do TAs cruise and will add a cruise before if it is a good price 

Between 2013 -16 we always waited until after final payment date to book 

On our last couple of cruise our TA had group that Always include” price was about the same as Celebrity cruise only price , but I think those days are gone 

22 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

Absolutely accurate statement. The older and loyal cruisers ultimately spend less than the new, enthusiastic younger families. Celebrity will continue to raise prices and cut services until their balance sheet tells them they went to far. Then and only then will you see them start trying to give back to their customers.

And the balance sheet won't show results until it's too late....some of us may have had enough of the Royalization of X.

• Like 1

We will pick up a Future Cruise Certificate on our next cruise (May 2024), but the only reason being is the new policy where Celebrity keeps 100% of cruise deposits.  The risk in losing a non-refundable deposit is now 100%, so that's $900+.  When booking with a FCC, it whatever the cost of the FCC is (not even sure what they are).  No way I will pay so much more for a refundable rate on Celebrity.  It's less expensive to book more premium lines.

• Like 2

On the last day of cruise on Millie last week, they were doing a land office business, which included me.  I only paid a $100 refundable deposit which guarateed me the promo they were offering at the time, which was the 75% off secong guest, same as what was out a few days ago, so I really don't see that I gained anything.  I haven't decided if I am going to book again or not.  I have six months, I think..

Edited by jbcallender

10 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

We will pick up a Future Cruise Certificate on our next cruise (May 2024), but the only reason being is the new policy where Celebrity keeps 100% of cruise deposits.  The risk in losing a non-refundable deposit is now 100%, so that's $900+.  When booking with a FCC, it whatever the cost of the FCC is (not even sure what they are).  No way I will pay so much more for a refundable rate on Celebrity.  It's less expensive to book more premium lines.

The problem is they keep changing the policy and T & C.  It is like little kids playing a game where they want to change the rules   I am not sure but I think if you book a suite with a FCC you still have to pay the full deposit.    

I have enjoyed suites on a few cruises but the last one wasn’t that great.  The menu in Luminae wasn’t that great and the perks were rather redundant as we had a premium drink pack and are also Elite Plus. 

We didn’t use the the Retreat much or the Retreat Sun Deck.   We spent more time on our balcony or at other bars. 

Depending on our experience on our next cruise we may pass on any future cruises with Celebrity.   May look at different lines but I think they are all having their issues.    

Cruising may be ending for us.  There are many other forms of travel there  may give more value for our dollars.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 3

11 hours ago, miched said:

The problem is they keep changing the policy and T & C.  It is like little kids playing a game where they want to change the rules   I am not sure but I think if you book a suite with a FCC you still have to pay the full deposit.    

I have enjoyed suites on a few cruises but the last one wasn’t that great.  The menu in Luminae wasn’t that great and the perks were rather redundant as we had a premium drink pack and are also Elite Plus. 

We didn’t use the the Retreat much or the Retreat Sun Deck.   We spent more time on our balcony or at other bars. 

Depending on our experience on our next cruise we may pass on any future cruises with Celebrity.   May look at different lines but I think they are all having their issues.    

Cruising may be ending for us.  There are many other forms of travel there  may give more value for our dollars.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We usually book Aqua, so that's why I would get the FCC.  For suites, eliminating the use of FCCs for a deposit forces you to pay through the nose for a refundable rate or be at risk for a lot of money.  

I am not crazy about Aqua being all inclusive because the imputed charge for WIFI is too high.  On some itineraries, including my next in Japan, it's almost a total waste because I can get a pocket wifi device which should work anywhere and get WIFI for both of us for $6 a day.  All of the cruise lines need to do a better job figuring out WIFI.  

I agree that all are having their issues. We loved Azamara and have one booked with them, but they are a small one off owned by a private equity firm and that's enough to make me nervous.  Still, the price was great, so we are taking the risk and only have $150 at risk ($75 per person is what they keep if you cancel).  I suppose at some point, we'll be looking mainly at Oceania and/or Viking.  The industry right now is in flux.

On 8/19/2023 at 11:36 PM, markeb said:

Straight from the RCG 10-Q:

"Net cash provided by operating activities was $2.7 billion for the six months ended June 30, 2023, compared to cash used of $0.1 billion for the same period in 2022. The increase of $2.8 billion was primarily attributable to higher bookings, and occupancy in 2023 compared to the same period in 2022." (Emphasis added.)

That's RCG as Celebrity is not a reporting entity to the SEC. 

Doesn't directly answer the question as those are likely bookings before the recent changes, but if the next 10-Q looks the same, I'd suggest the gnashing of teeth on Cruise Critic isn't actually representative of the corporate health of RCG. And since Celebrity is essentially a subsidiary, there's no way to answer the question.

'23 vs '22 is apples and oranges as a number of ships weren't back in service last spring and others were still operating at reduced capacity.

On 8/20/2023 at 12:33 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

Viking has a great 33 day itinerary round trip LA.  The 11/10/23 sailing which we'll be on still has lots of availability.  Prices start around $7K with lots of inclusions (booking code SUM23).

• Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 1:37 PM, SRQbeachgirl said:

We're some of the "new" Celebrity cruisers. We've sailed mostly on Carnival, a couple times on RC, but were looking for a different experience without all the kids, massive family groups, and noise. Our first X cruise was in January and we loved it. I just made final payment today for an 8-day in November, and I'm eying a couple of options for February. We've reached a point in our lives where we will probably take three to four cruises per year and based on our recent experience, those cruises will likely be on X. There are probably a lot more like us who are moving up from other lines and are ready to take the place of some who are no longer happy with X. Time will tell as to whether it all balances out. 

I hope it works out well for you and your family. I noticed you are looking to X to have cruises with less children. X of course has recently shortened a few cruises and has more cruises at 7 days or less for the future. X says those changes were made to accommodate more families. Which may mean more children 

cheers

17 hours ago, jbcallender said:

I only paid a $100 refundable deposit which guarateed me the promo they were offering at the time, which was the 75% off secong guest, same as what was out a few days ago, so I really don't see that I gained anything.

@jbcallender  If that's what they told you it was a big fat lie.   When you actually select a sailing you will get whatever promo is available at the time.   You do get the bonus OBC for booking onboard based on the length of the sailing and the cabin type.   The real benefit is the $100 pp deposit amount which allows you to take a NRD price and only risk the $100 pp until final payment.  If you are booking a suite then a full 10% deposit will be collected so much less benefit.

image.thumb.png.90da9b8a2f897c4738cd93661f7e2044.png