MDR Lunch Menu

Desert Cruisers

Currently on the Queen Elizabeth. Had breakfast this morning with another passenger who frequently cruises HAL. He mentioned that the MDR menu on HAL doesn’t change except for one daily special.  

My husband and I have two upcoming sailings with HAL.  Lots of sea days so the MDR should be open. Very disappointed to hear that the menu is basically the same. 

Was I given correct info?  Are there “healthy” options?  I enjoy salad but don’t look forward to the same thing every day. 

There are healthy options and he is right the menu doesn’t vary. I do like the menu and it is rather extensive.   Of course there is always the lido which will host special menus on sea days, the dive in and the Pinnacle Grill serves lunch on sea days.  If you are a Pinnacle class ship you also have the Dutch Cafe, a pizza parlor and a sub shop. 

26 minutes ago, Desert Cruisers said:

Currently on the Queen Elizabeth. Had breakfast this morning with another passenger who frequently cruises HAL. He mentioned that the MDR menu on HAL doesn’t change except for one daily special.  

My husband and I have two upcoming sailings with HAL.  Lots of sea days so the MDR should be open. Very disappointed to hear that the menu is basically the same. 

Was I given correct info?  Are there “healthy” options?  I enjoy salad but don’t look forward to the same thing every day. 

You were indeed misinformed if you were discussing the MDR dinner menus.  The MDR breakfast and lunch menus are the same each day but as a HAL menu collector, I can assure the MDR dinner menus change every night.  It must be noted that all ships sailing in the same region/season/voyage duration have the same MDR menus that change each evening.

See the link in the lower right corner of my signature for the current menus (only the Alaska MDR menus are available).

• Like 1

I am going to add to say that for lunch - it’s worth taking a peak at the Lido.  They have fabulous salads, lots of choices from sushi to carved meat.

If you go at the non peak hours there are fewer lineups and the choices are much more varied than in the MDR.  If you use your Navigator app you will see all the menu choices in the MDR and the Lido and can choose from there.

By the way, the clubhouse option for room service is still a good sandwich (room service is free)

• Like 4

On sea days the Pinnacle Grill is also open for lunch. Even with recent increases I find it to be the best value in speciality dining on any ship I’ve been on ($19/pp at lunch, IIRC)

and here is the specific link to the MDR lunch menu, from same site Mary was pointing you to: https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/MDR-Lunch.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mary229 said:

PS you can visit here to see copies of many menus 

https://rogerjett-photography.com/

I like this site, but it seems like some of the links go to completely different photos.  Like if I click on MDR Breakfast Menus I get the Tamarind menu.  Does anyone else experience that?  I always wonder if anomalies like this are real or do they occur because I am using a Chromebook to access it.

Edited by Toofarfromthesea

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I like this site, but it seems like some of the links go to completely different photos.  Like if I click on MDR Breakfast Menus I get the Tamarind menu.  Does anyone else experience that?  I always wonder if anomalies like this are real or do they occur because I am using a Chromebook to access it.

That’s funny.  I got the cocktail menu when I clicked on MDR breakfast. There is definitely a hiccup.  @Crew News there seems to be a problem. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Here is a copy of the current MDR Lunch menu being served on Nieuw Statendam.

As the file name suggests, it has not changed much over the past  years!

MDRLunchjpg.thumb.jpg.96dc7b2b731532a8260cc72a858e5423.jpg

mdr_lunch_menu_winter_2022_print_en_-_v2.2_-_no_specials.pdf 38.81 kB · 0 downloads

Some ships this year are incluing a daily changing appetizer and entree ("small and large plates").  We found them really good and a nice addition to choose from!

Remember: any combination or amount of small and large plates can be ordered per person or shared.

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing the brunch menu! I’ve only seen it offered once on my trips, and I forget why it wasn’t ideal to make it there for us that day so I’ve never been. Lots of interesting options that stray from the usual breakfast and lunch offerings! Impressive.  

15 hours ago, Dobby36 said:

On sea days the Pinnacle Grill is also open for lunch. Even with recent increases I find it to be the best value in speciality dining on any ship I’ve been on ($19/pp at lunch, IIRC)

Do you have a menu for lunch at the Pinnacle Grill ?   TIA 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

https://eatsleepcruise.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Pinnacle-Grill-Lunch-Menu.pdf

try this link above.  The best part is that the items are largely different than the dinner offerings so it’s something different to explore.  I can reccomend the burger, the Cioppino, and the prawn appetizer! (My Pictures are from Oosterdam this spring: cheese plate for dessert, Cioppino, and prawn starter)

4D317787-16F0-4F1A-9800-5D811E7542AA.jpeg

96ABE887-2B14-4CE5-9625-7BC6BE755314.jpeg

56F5BCE6-5B1C-4087-8C81-40FC548075B4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

BC (Before covid), a dining room manager reported they worked off a 21 day menu plan for dinner on the longer cruises.  However, sometimes this just means they tweaked things a bit and gave things a new name.

But when you are serving essentially meat, chicken, fish and/or vegetables, it is hard to present them in endlessly novel ways anyway. The combinations of items and side dishes  was the main change.

1 hour ago, vicd1969 said:

On my 7-day Alaska sailing, there was a brunch in the MDR on the last day of sailing. Lots of good choices. E80A2814-2F95-434F-8727-B2653B361DD6.thumb.jpeg.e36dd89ce6950864febb08bd00d489a2.jpeg

That’s a nice menu.  On my last cruise the brunch menu was not very appetizing 

1 hour ago, vicd1969 said:

On my 7-day Alaska sailing, there was a brunch in the MDR on the last day of sailing. Lots of good choices. E80A2814-2F95-434F-8727-B2653B361DD6.thumb.jpeg.e36dd89ce6950864febb08bd00d489a2.jpeg

The Goat Cheese and assorted berries that I had on the Noordam last Saturday was one of the best things I have ever had - recommended by my exceptional waiter Arta. The halibut sandwich was very good as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

Pinnacle Burger - medium rare! Best burger of my life - but a warning - do not load up on the incredible bread basket first.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I am still looking for the gremlin that tampers with the links.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Here is a copy of the current MDR Lunch menu being served on Nieuw Statendam.

As the file name suggests, it has not changed much over the past  years!

MDRLunchjpg.thumb.jpg.96dc7b2b731532a8260cc72a858e5423.jpg

mdr_lunch_menu_winter_2022_print_en_-_v2.2_-_no_specials.pdf 38.81 kB · 3 downloads

This is great info for me because I'll be on a Hawaii cruise and there are a LOT of seadays.  Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Are you the guy behind that site?  It's a terrific service, so if it's you, thanks!

It is I.  The site started as a hobby photography site and just grew with all of the questions asked here on CC and the chance to share answers.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6

7 hours ago, RD64 said:

The Goat Cheese and assorted berries that I had on the Noordam last Saturday was one of the best things I have ever had - recommended by my exceptional waiter Arta. The halibut sandwich was very good as well.

Another endorsement for the halibut sandwich. I was thinking of also getting the mushroom and tarragon crepes but glad i didn’t. The crepes were thiiick and major calories, not the light wraps i was expecting.