New Informal Trend Permanent?

LocoLoco1

48 minutes ago, POA1 said:

So... If I am reading you correctly, a young gentleman, formally attired, was accompanied by a woman "in a very sleek gown" and she had a wrist corsage?

Say what you will, but dress nicely and buy the lady some flowers might not be as out of style as we've been led to believe.

Yes, you read correctly. They looked to be having a marvelous time and we realized we were smiling when we looked at them. She didn't have a chair to pull out (she was seated on the bench along the wall, he was in a chair across the table from her), but I felt like he would have had she been in the chair instead of him.

I hope they had pictures taken. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

LEFT WONDERING: Will HAL do what certain other lines have done?? Re: Drawing a bright line or Velvet Rope between the Tux’d and un-Tuxed guests. I think it’s coming back, as my [Attach] indicates it being done elsewhere. 

IMG_3795.png

22 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

LEFT WONDERING: Will HAL do what certain other lines have done?? Re: Drawing a bright line or Velvet Rope between the Tux’d and un-Tuxed guests. I think it’s coming back, as my [Attach] indicates it being done elsewhere. 

IMG_3795.png

The ship within a ship theme such as on Norwegian, Celebrity, Cunard, etc is not something HAL has ever done nor endorsed.  I don’t foresee it in the near future - HAL ships are not constructed to provide the ship within a ship concept, I don’t think.

• Like 2

I hope the informal trend is permanent.  We were cruising on the Rotterdam to Iceland and Norway in August and maybe I saw one tux in 3 weeks.  There were a handful of suits and some sport coats but most men were just in a collared shirt. Hardly any difference for dressy nights for the men.  I never took my sport coat out of the garment bag and I doubt that I will take it on any future cruises.

Edited by Ipeeinthepools
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

I think this change may be mostly due to airline luggage restrictions.  The downsizing of allowances there makes it more difficult to fit all of the “used once and done “ items.

That's why I have only 1 formal dress I take on cruises.  It's fairly plain and I use accessories to change the look of it.  I can wear it at least 4 times, if necessary.

• Like 1

I hear you… one dress it is!

Unfortunately the gents’ suits/ tuxes take up much more luggage room than a dress, hence the less “formal” men….

although, last week on Zaandam there was a gent wearing full kilt regalia on both dressy nights.

nice to see, but I have no idea how one would fit that into airline luggage restrictions 😄

• Like 1

Been cruising for 28+ years with 100+ cruises. 

Used to be & love Formal Tux/Gown nights - but NO MORE!

Love that Formal nights have become Gala Nights.

Main Reason:  Packing/Unpacking of luggage & airlines.

Gone (with gladness) are the days when DH & I would have, per each of us, a minimum of 2 large checked suitcases & 1 carry-on.

I have found the less clothes & stuff one brings - makes packing for cruise easier, unpacking upon arrival in Cabin faster, repacking luggage for disembarking no longer a drudgery, and once home - so much faster to unpack & less laundry.

Love that HAL offers free laundry for 4+ Star Mariners - I've been able to get down to one carry on for each of us with an (under the seat) additional piece for toiletries/medications/1 pair dress shoes & 1 pair sandals.  We wear our walking shoes.  Packing Cubes are my Best friends!!

No more checked baggage!! - Makes airline traveling so much easier.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2023 at 5:54 AM, Mosaic said:

In my opinion, garbage in garbage out.  Soon there will only be cheeseburgers in the MDR... And the wait staff will dress like the PAX.

My guess we may eventually see ala carte pricing for all food on board.

On 8/29/2023 at 7:08 AM, POA1 said:

I still have my tuxedo but I am on the fence about taking it on our upcoming cruise. It's a little 7 day trip and I might just take a couple of sport coats.

I'm keeping my tux because (1) it's paid for, (2) the style isn't going to change, and (3) making sure it fits keeps me on the straight & narrow. It'll definitely make the trip on a longer cruise. We're not self conscious about being overdressed and I have to keep my bow tie tying skills sharp somehow.

I, for one, appreciate the more relaxed dress codes. I wore a tie and jacket for 50 plus years while I was employed. When I retired (at age 70), I swore no more ties or jackets. I save the packing space for more necessary items (pills, CPAP, etc.). My wife usually wears a dress or pants suit for dressier occasions. I add a nice sweater to a dressier shirt and pants (colored or khaki).

Jim

• Like 1

On 9/2/2023 at 2:27 PM, kazu said:

The ship within a ship theme such as on Norwegian, Celebrity, Cunard, etc is not something HAL has ever done nor endorsed.  I don’t foresee it in the near future - HAL ships are not constructed to provide the ship within a ship concept, I don’t think.

I'll disagree to a point.  No special sunning area like the others.  But, there is Club Orange and the Neptune Lounge.  A baby start to having facilities not available to all...

I’m onboard now.  Dressy night was last night.  I’d say most women were in “church dresses.”  There were some “sparkly dresses”.  I only saw one couple who didn’t dress up at all and zero tuxes.   It was a great meal.   Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves and happy in whatever they chose to wear 

it could have been completely different in a different venue or time, but that’s what I saw. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

I think this change may be mostly due to airline luggage restrictions.  The downsizing of allowances there makes it more difficult to fit all of the “used once and done “ items.

Agreed. The biggest issue is the shoes, especially for men. Shoes that one wears with a tuxedo cannot really be worn with anything else. So you’d need formal shoes, sneakers, and sandals at a minimum. And one could easily justify either another pair of sneakers or more casual shoes. It’s almost impossible without checking luggage. I have a tux but bought it for Cunard cruises and will still use it if I travel with them again. For HAL, I’m fine with a nice shirt and trousers, maybe with a cardigan or a silk scarf. Just off the Koningsdam to Alaska and only saw two guys (young ones too) in tuxedos. They looked great but it’s easy to look great in one’s twenties haha. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

I'll disagree to a point.  No special sunning area like the others.  But, there is Club Orange and the Neptune Lounge.  A baby start to having facilities not available to all...

and I will respectfully disagree back.  The Neptune Lounge had been there for ages.  It’s an inside space (except on the now sold Prinsendam) as is Club Orange.  They deprive no one of nothing and they have been paid for.

there has been no elaboration on that since the Neptune Lounge was created nor the CO and neither are large spaces.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kazu said:

and I will respectfully disagree back.  The Neptune Lounge had been there for ages.  It’s an inside space (except on the now sold Prinsendam) as is Club Orange.  They deprive no one of nothing and they have been paid for.

there has been no elaboration on that since the Neptune Lounge was created nor the CO and neither are large spaces.  

I'm not clear on your response.  I know the NL is inside, as is Club Orange.  You have to pay to have that access via money or a better suite.  I did say no sunning area - that is pretty much what is missing from HAL from what is on Celebrity, NCL, MSC.   Someone is still paying for special access area.  

1 hour ago, Bostonjetset said:

Agreed. The biggest issue is the shoes, especially for men. Shoes that one wears with a tuxedo cannot really be worn with anything else. So you’d need formal shoes, sneakers, and sandals at a minimum. ...........

Always thought men's black velvet dress slippers would be a good packing option - Macy's has these on sale for $55, design choices optional! Cheers, and thanks for your reporting.

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 2.11.25 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I'm not clear on your response.  I know the NL is inside, as is Club Orange.  You have to pay to have that access via money or a better suite.  I did say no sunning area - that is pretty much what is missing from HAL from what is on Celebrity, NCL, MSC.   Someone is still paying for special access area.  

My point is it’s not a ship within a ship.  HAL never has been and isn’t built to be.

Two inside spaces - who cares?  You can use it or not.  I deprives no one of nothing.  

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Club Orange is available to anyone who want to purchase it - even those who book Inside staterooms.

Some people pay to dine at the Pinnacle every night too. Or get spa passes. Take spinning classes.

5 hours ago, kazu said:

My point is it’s not a ship within a ship.  HAL never has been and isn’t built to be.

Two inside spaces - who cares?  You can use it or not.  I deprives no one of nothing.  

I've sailed in MSC Yacht Club, a true ship within a ship, twice, and in all of my research into Club Orange I can conclusively say that it has virtually nothing in common with Yacht Club.  Which is not a knock on Club Orange, which I have on both of my upcoming cruises (yup both - booked the second one today! - Yay!), as it costs waaay less and is not intended to compete in any way, shape, or form with Yacht Club.  It's like comparing apples with carburetors.

• Like 3