Men's Formal Wear - black patent leather shoes

colingu

Any suggestions where to buy wide fitting black patent leather shoes?  I'm going on a 44 night cruise and want to complete the tuxedo with patent leather shoes. I'm usually a UK 12 wide, and I'm not having any luck finding shoes that fit- have tried several pairs up to size 14 and can't even get them on!!  Even slip-ons would do.

Edited by colingu
spelling
  • Like 1

Do you have a trip to the Netherlands in the near future? It's not such an unusual size there. Otherwise I suspect you may need to compromise in the quest of patent leather, but if it's nice and shiny then that's usually all that matters, most people don't spend too long analysing this once they see that the shoes are not brown!

1 hour ago, colingu said:

Any suggestions where to buy wide fitting black patent leather shoes?  I'm going on a 44 night cruise and want to complete the tuxedo with patent leather shoes. I'm usually a UK 12 wide, and I'm not having any luck finding shoes that fit- have tried several pairs up to size 14 and can't even get them on!!  Even slip-ons would do.

Loake have a good selection of “G” (wide) fit.

To assist … Link… https://www.loake.com/fitting/g/

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Link

Perhaps you can access Macy's in the USA.  Frequently they have great sales, so the prices can be very reasonable!  My husband has a pair of black patent shoes from Macy's, although I also bought him a pair from Jimmy Choo (but they are a bit on the heavy side).  Best wishes-- I am sure you will look very dapper!

https://www.macys.com/shop/featured/mens black patent dress shoes?cm_kws_ac=mens patent dress

Have you tried ballroom or latin dance shoes. They often come in patent.

Werner Kern and Freed are just two of the makes I can see online.

There are shops in London might have some in stock.

They usually have soft suede soles, which would be fine as long as you don't go out on wet decks, and they are usually quite supple and comfortable.

I wear a similar wide shoe and purchased a patent leather shoe at Harrods in 2018 for the Last Night of the PROMS at RAH. I've since replaced them and can't recall the brand. 

https://www.harrods.com/en-gb/shopping/christian-louboutin-greggo-patent-oxford-shoes-16592670

Do not sweat about it.  Last autumn I was horrified to find that I had managed to pack only one black patent leather shoe for my 27 night cruise on QM2!

Having fretted about it, the head waiter told me not to give it a moments thought. I wore my ordinary brown shoes to each of the formal nights.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Klapka said:

Do not sweat about it.  Last autumn I was horrified to find that I had managed to pack only one black patent leather shoe for my 27 night cruise on QM2!

Having fretted about it, the head waiter told me not to give it a moments thought. I wore my ordinary brown shoes to each of the formal nights.

Fully understand by MD, that if no “ordinary” black packed, then ordinary brown had to suffice.

I have to laugh because DH came down with a terrible infection the day before we cruised.  He was in the emergency ward, no aisle, for 22 hours, and his leg was huge and his tux trouser leg barely come down over his calf. There was no way his foot was going to fit into his dress shoes. He had to wear his brown casual, fairly scuffed up, shoes with his tux. I didn’t know if others judged us (QG you know), but we did what we could. Anytime I see someone with an alternative to the rule I give grace that there is a reason. Don’t sweat the shoes.

• Like 6

It can be quite a challenge, especially when you're looking for something specific like that for a 44-night cruise. Have you checked out https://vonbaer.com/blogs/blog/leather yet? They have a great selection of men's formal wear and might just have the perfect pair for you.

Edited by NoahEllison

On 9/5/2023 at 8:15 AM, BigMac1953 said:

Two weeks ago on QM2, we spotted a man wearing his smart dinner suit, white shirt and bow tie, with WHITE trainers! Looked ridiculous.

Be kind.  My husband injured his toe early in our Aug. 18th QM2 cruise, and it didn't heal quickly.  The only shoes he could get on were his trainers.  Should he have skipped dining in the grill because of his injury?  He explained his problem to the maitre d', and he was fine with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, FritzG said:

Be kind.  My husband injured his toe early in our Aug. 18th QM2 cruise, and it didn't heal quickly.  The only shoes he could get on were his trainers.  Should he have skipped dining in the grill because of his injury?  He explained his problem to the maitre d', and he was fine with it.

and my husband can't wear his beautiful calf leather Church's loafers any more and has to wear what we consider casual wear, although not trainers. Not his fault Guv!

• Like 3

On 9/5/2023 at 10:13 AM, techteach said:

@BigMac1953 I’m glad you said it looked ridiculous but didn’t judge the person for wearing it. As I pointed out in my post #9, it may have been the only pair of shoes the person could wear. I’m more concerned with men wearing hats at dinner.

Last week at dinner in PG a man left because the maitre d' asked him to take off his hat.  

17 hours ago, FritzG said:

Last week at dinner in PG a man left because the maitre d' asked him to take off his hat.  

What is proper hat etiquette?  I have a hat I'd like to wear on Roaring 20s night on my upcoming cruise but want to make sure I do it properly.

Not my idea of Gala wear, but if some Cunard passengers are going to go down the fancy dress route for one or two Gala evenings, maybe a few hat wearers will assume their headgear is an OK accessory to be worn during dinner. Hopefully, the M'ds will continue to ask for the removal of any hats,  baseball or fedoras.

• Like 1

The Wall Street Journal recently had an article featuring dressy track pants (not sure how they are called in UK) and sneakers/trainers with a sports jacket are suitable to wear on date nights and weddings. These are athletic wear pants with white stripes running down each pant leg. 
The M’D’s job just got harder!

• Haha 1