Dress code for formal night in the dining room

OldCrustyGuy

We last sailed on HAL in 1/2020 on a Caribbean itinerary.  The "formal night" was then called a Gala Night and there was not a requirement to wear a coat and tie in the dining room.  I would estimate 50% of the male guests did not wear a jacket/tie.

We are booked on an Alaska cruise/tour in early September.  I've only been able to locate dress code information indicating a tux/suit is required for men.   I called customer service and the person recited the verbatim requirements.  For those who have sailed more extensively on HAL, what is the reality for the Alaska cruises?  Appreciate the feedback.

• Haha 1

I don't know where you are looking for official dress code information but tux/suit have not been required for many years!!

Here is the code from HAL website right now:

Frequently Asked Questions (hollandamerica.com)

A: Yes, some refinements were made to improve consistency and the policy now reads: 

• Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants. 
  • Dressy Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants. 

Just adding the reference on the website to what  @renee00 just posted.

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 4

A lot of people like having a few dress-up nights during a cruise, which creates the occasion to have a more formal, professional photograph taken. They will be among those you see on board on "formal" nights.

I am so glad my parents did this on one of their cruises. It is my most absolute favorite photo memory of them. 

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 2

We are also cruising in early September to Alaska and we plan to get fully decked out! Fancy dresses and suits for our family. I love it, when do we ever get a chance to get this dressed up anymore? It's a treat. Some of our other family members are opting for more semi-formal attire which is ok too! 

• Like 2

OP, please understand that HAL doesn't have "formal" nights anymore.  Hasn't for a long time.  I realize that HAL's description of "evoke grand traditions" and "dress to impress" doesn't equate to collared shirts and slacks for men for many people, nonetheless, you will most likely experience a much more casual approach reminiscent of people dressing to go to church than dressing to evoke grand traditions of cruising.

14 hours ago, OldCrustyGuy said:

I called customer service and the person recited the vebatim requirements.

Hahahahahahaaaaaa!  Whew. 🤣

Oh, sorry, but to actually tell you that a tux/suit is required is just laughable.  Sad, but laughable.

• Haha 1

I wear the same on dressy night as I do any other night. Golf slacks and a golf shirt (with collar) or possibly a Tommy Bahama Hawaiian print shirt that buttons up. I retired in 2020 and all my suits and sport coats went to Goodwill. In Alaska I might wear a nice pair of designer type of jeans. While many men get away with it, I never would wear shorts or a T shirt in the MDR on any night. We did Alaska in 2019 and I saw everything from shorts to tuxes. I remember one older man who wore the same "farmer" type overalls ever night and I thought that was inappropriate.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, cbr663 said:

OP, please understand that HAL doesn't have "formal" nights anymore.  Hasn't for a long time.  I realize that HAL's description of "evoke grand traditions" and "dress to impress" doesn't equate to collared shirts and slacks for men for many people, nonetheless, you will most likely experience a much more casual approach reminiscent of people dressing to go to church than dressing to evoke grand traditions of cruising.

Dressing to go to church meant a full suit and tie for all males even those that were still in short pants. But now everyone is still in short pants. Many males never have grown up.

But then in as much as the American public took the circus side show on the road what can one expect.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I wear the same on dressy night as I do any other night. Golf slacks and a golf shirt (with collar) or possibly a Tommy Bahama Hawaiian print shirt that buttons up. I retired in 2020 and all my suits and sport coats went to Goodwill. In Alaska I might wear a nice pair of designer type of jeans. While many men get away with it, I never would wear shorts or a T shirt in the MDR on any night. We did Alaska in 2019 and I saw everything from shorts to tuxes. I remember one older man who wore the same "farmer" type overalls ever night and I thought that was inappropriate.

If you encounter a line on board in the evening, do you ask to "Play through"?

• Haha 1

Sadly the dress code has become Anything Goes. The couple that posted that pic - I believe was the Rotterdam Transat - special cruise, lots of Europeans makes a difference. You looked great btw.

Caribbean, Alaska, any milk run every day cruise - as I said - anything - including baseball hats goes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

OK, now, be nice, but I've been thinking of jazzing it up a bit on dressy night rather than wearing one of my boring striped polo shirts.  So I am thinking about the below, but I don't know if that white strip around the head hole would qualify as a collar.  Thoughts?

Men's Fashion Shirt Short Sleeve Beach V-Neck Drawstring Printing Yoga African Summer Top

Actually I do believe that I have seen that same shirt with a real collar but you would have to accept the long sleeves not the female 3/4 length on the shirt you show.

• Haha 1