Dress for Dinner & Evenings Question

wyz

My wife and I are first-time Regent cruisers, sailing on the Splendor later this month.  I have a question about what I should wear at dinner and in the evenings.  I usually wear short-sleeve button down patterned shirts (Indonesian style) for dinner out, but am not sure if I need something more formal (such as long sleeves, or perhaps a plain short-sleeve button down shirt) for dinner either in the main dining room or for specialty dining.  Also, I am not sure if need to bring a sport coat, and if I will be underdressed without it.  What do most people wear, and would short-sleeved button down shirts be inappropriate at dinner or in the evening?  All advice would be appreciated; thanks in advance.

Have done 25 Regent cruises, in all the parts of the world. I find the Regent public areas very cold (sometimes frigid). I'm always in a long-sleeve shirt, often with a sweater.  I bring a sports coat and wear it about 2 or 3 times during a 10 day cruise and always if there is a Formal Optional night. 

A sport coat is not required and I rarely saw any in the Compass Rose (main restaurant). There were some men who wore one at the specialty restaurants but you will not be underdressed without one. 

Most men wear slacks or khakis and short or long sleeved collared shirts. Short sleeve buttoned down shirts would not be inappropriate. 

We were on a TA on Regent.  My husband wore short sleeved (polo) shirts by day and long-sleeved casual collared shirts by night, always paired with khakis.  He did mention that he might bring a jacket to our next cruise, just to have options, and because it does get chilly in the public spaces.  

Any shirt with a collar meets the dress code for inside the ship after 6PM. If you wish to walk the outer decks or hang by the pool and have a drink, you can wear whatever you want. I often hang in a lounger on an upper deck with a drink and watch the stars wearing shorts.

My husband worried endlessly about the same thing until we actually set sail the first time on Regent.  Unlike other responses posted so far, he is extremely hot natured.  He did not wear the sport coat he brought on our first cruise at all and has never looked back.  He always wears nice dress pants or khakis and a buttoned-down patterned, short sleeved shirt, tucked in, to dinner in Compass Rose or any of the speciality restaurants.  Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1

I bring a sport coat, and will wear it on the Captain Reception night or when we dine in Prime 7 or Chartreuse.  Not at all a requirement of the cruise line..... IS DEFINITELY a requirement of my WIFE! So..... "cruise line dress code"....."wife's dress code".... guess which one wins. 🤣

But the actual dress code is very simple, here it is, copied and pasted from the website.  Sounds like you will have no problem meeting it. 

"Attire ranges from Casual to Formal Optional. Casual wear consists of resort-style outfits; some examples are jeans, shorts, t-shirts, and tennis shoes. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime both on board or ashore. Casual wear is not appropriate after 6:00 PM. On the night prior to disembarkation, guests may need to pack their luggage early due to morning flights the next day. With this in mind, on the last night of every voyage, we will relax the dress code for dinner to Casual.

Otherwise, the recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual. Dinner dress for ladies includes a skirt, or slacks with a blouse or sweater, a pant suit or dress; slacks and a collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. Casual wear is not to be worn at dinner. Ties are not required."

4 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

@Pcardad

Where were you sailing when you saw that, would love too see stars with shorts on.😉😉

On Splendor around the British Isles recently you would have needed a coat on after 6.00pm, if you were out on deck.

Yes sir - obviously a warm-weather cruise.

As long as you follow the basic requirements of a collared shirt and nice pants for men, and whatever is required for woman (I have trouble telling the difference between some of the pool cover ups and fancy dresses), you will have no problems and most likely not be alone in your style of clothing.  I tend to wear a jacket when attending events such as the Captain's welcome and Seven Seas events when the officers all show up in full dress.  Wear what you feel comfortable wearing, this does mean that you should wear what your spouse says that you should.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, MsMermaid said:

We are on the Christmas/New Year's cruise.... I would think formal attire might be appropriate for the holiday evenings?

We were in the Splendor and the.Navigator during the Christmas and New Years holiday. There was really not much difference in the after six dress than what we have seen on all the other cruises we have done in Regent. The ship of course was decorated which gave things a festive feel. Just follow the dress code with what you like to wear and you will fit right in.

My husband never takes a jacket any more and he was no more dressed up than 50 - 60% of the men. I wore silk tops and slacks  on Christmas and New Years Eve and fit right in.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 4:01 AM, papaflamingo said:

Otherwise, the recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual. Dinner dress for ladies includes a skirt, or slacks with a blouse or sweater, a pant suit or dress; slacks and a collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. Casual wear is not to be worn at dinner. Ties are not required."

I find the term Elegant Casual to be a bit of a Oxymoron. LOL.... and am glad Regent defines what they mean. 

We were recently on the Splendor and were quite surprised to see a young man wearing a t-shirt at dinner.  It was the kind of shirt with branding or a saying.  He was seated with his party when we noticed what he was wearing.  No one at Compass Rose seemed to notice.

Years ago we were dining in Compass Rose and a couple with a baby came in both wearing jeans.  His were probably expensive but we could see hers were designer.  The master-d asked the husband to go change but let the woman stay,  We spoke with a crew member later who said it was not because she was wearing designer but because of the baby (younger than a toddler).

On 9/8/2023 at 4:15 AM, MsMermaid said:

We are on the Christmas/New Year's cruise.... I would think formal attire might be appropriate for the holiday evenings?

We will be on the Grandeur for the Christmas/New Year cruise and will definitely be bring more formal attire for the holidays.  

• Like 1